Snow Crash (1992)

by Neal Stephenson

In the future the only relief from the sea of logos is the computer-generated universe of virtual reality. Now a strange computer virus, called Snow Crash, is striking down hackers, leaving an unlikely young man as humankind's last hope.
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (moonstormer)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (davesmind, jbgryphon, fulner)
    davesmind: Although Snow Crash is a classic of cyberpunk, I think Ready Player One has a more captivating story - especially if you played video games in the 80's
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    fulner: Ready player one is what Snow crash should have been. A story focused primarily on the inter-personal-relationships of others "online" in a futuristic version of the internet in which we live in a 3-D world as the real world around us crashes and burns. The biggest difference is Ready Player One Doesn't Suck. Still somewhat heretical, but its heresy can be easily dismissed on that the protagonist is an atheist.… (more)
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (thebookpile)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (thehoodedone)
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (atrautz)
    Count Zero by William Gibson (thebookpile)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (JFDR)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (ecureuil)
    Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (electronicmemory)
    The Star Fraction by Ken MacLeod (Noisy)
    Noisy: Anarchy viewed from both sides of the fence. 'Snow Crash' offers the capitalist view and 'The Star Fraction' offers the socialist counterpart.
    Omnitopia Dawn by Diane Duane (pammab)
    pammab: To explore the possibilities of virtual reality in the near future. Duane's is much more traditional and pro-corporate fantasy; Stephenson's is more humor-based anti-corporate cyberpunk.
    The Stone Canal by Ken MacLeod (bsackerman)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (romula)
    Virtual Light by William Gibson (Moehrendorf)
    This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities by Jim Rossignol (infiniteletters)
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (fulner)
    fulner: Heretical Fiction
1990s (73)

English (335)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (341)
A cyberpunk novel with ninjas and Harley's. Very entertaining. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
Good ideas, bad storytelling. Yawn. ( )
  rolfmblindgren | Mar 26, 2021 |
Hiro Protagonist teams up with 15 year old YT to gather information and disseminate across the Metaverse where people goggle in to escape the drudgery of their lives and the post deterioration of the United States of America (Fedland) into business components, including CostaNostra Pizza, Inc. and Mr. Lee's Little Korea. When a computer virus called snow crash is released in the Metaverse turning programmer's minds to mush, Hiro finds himself in a bizarre race against time to prevent the infocalypse from occurring. It's sort of a roller coaster ride of emotions and one thing happening after the next. Written in 1992, the book is damn near prophetic in many ways. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Mar 24, 2021 |
I should have loved this book, it contains things that I usually really like but despite my best efforts I just couldn't finish it. In general I give books about 100 pages before abandoning them but I gave this book almost 300 pages before finally admitting defeat. I don't think it is bad, in fact many people love this book but it just didn't grab my attention. I didn't care for the characters and it felt very sloppy to me. It's a huge shame because I wanted to love this book and I had high hopes for it. ( )
  Brian. | Mar 20, 2021 |
Cool ideas and a version of the internet that I recognize from staring into black voids on an Apple II through my childhood. Would be excellent if Stephenson paused from telling us how brilliant and hip he is and focused on the story for once. Barely finished this one, threw Diamond Age against the wall. ( )
  EugenioNegro | Mar 17, 2021 |
Hiro Protagonist (who has chosen his own name, of course) turns out to be entertaining company, and Mr. Stephenson turns out to be an engaging guide to an onrushing tomorrow that is as farcical as it is horrific.

Stephenson has not stepped, he has vaulted onto the literary stage with this novel.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Reader

A cross between Neuromancer and Thomas Pynchon's Vineland. This is no mere hyperbole.
added by GYKM | editSan Francisco Bay Guardian

Stephenson, Nealprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podevin, Jean-FrançoisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
snow n. . . . 2.a. Anything resembling snow. b. The white specks on a television screen resulting from weak reception.

crash v....--intr. . . . 5. To fail suddenly, as a business or an economy.
---The American Heritage Dictionary

virus. . . . [L. virus slimy liquid, poison, offensive odor or taste.] 1. Venom, such as is emitted by a poisonous animal. 2. Path a. A morbid principle or poisonous substance produced in the body as the result of some disease, esp. one capable of being introduced into other persons or animals by inoculations or otherwise and of developing the same disease in them. . . . 3. fig. A moral or intellectual poison, or poisonous influence.
--The Oxford English Dictionary
The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory. He's got esprit up to here.
HIRO PROTAGONIST
Last of the freelance hackers
Greatest sword fighter in the world
Stringer, Central Intelligence Corporation
Specializing in software-related intel
(music, movies & microcode)
When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins.
"Did you win your sword fight?"
"Of course I won the fucking sword fight," Hiro says. "I'm the greatest sword fighter in the world."
"And you wrote the software."
"Yeah. That, too," Hiro says.

In reality, Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosoNostra Pizza Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain threatening to bring about infocalypse. Snow Crash is a mind-altering romp through a future America so bizarre, so outrageous…you’ll recognize it immediately.

4 1945
5 2067

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,722,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible