HomeGroupsTalkExploreZeitgeist
Search Site
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

Snow Crash (1992)

by Neal Stephenson

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
18,407358204 (4.1)634
In the future the only relief from the sea of logos is the computer-generated universe of virtual reality. Now a strange computer virus, called Snow Crash, is striking down hackers, leaving an unlikely young man as humankind's last hope.
  1. 263
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (moonstormer)
  2. 160
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (davesmind, jbgryphon, fulner)
    davesmind: Although Snow Crash is a classic of cyberpunk, I think Ready Player One has a more captivating story - especially if you played video games in the 80's
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    fulner: Ready player one is what Snow crash should have been. A story focused primarily on the inter-personal-relationships of others "online" in a futuristic version of the internet in which we live in a 3-D world as the real world around us crashes and burns. The biggest difference is Ready Player One Doesn't Suck. Still somewhat heretical, but its heresy can be easily dismissed on that the protagonist is an atheist.… (more)
  3. 110
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (thebookpile)
  4. 60
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (thehoodedone)
  5. 50
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (atrautz)
  6. 50
    Count Zero by William Gibson (thebookpile)
  7. 40
    Halting State by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)
  8. 62
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (JFDR)
  9. 30
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (ecureuil)
  10. 20
    Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (electronicmemory)
  11. 20
    The Star Fraction by Ken MacLeod (Noisy)
    Noisy: Anarchy viewed from both sides of the fence. 'Snow Crash' offers the capitalist view and 'The Star Fraction' offers the socialist counterpart.
  12. 20
    Omnitopia Dawn by Diane Duane (pammab)
    pammab: To explore the possibilities of virtual reality in the near future. Duane's is much more traditional and pro-corporate fantasy; Stephenson's is more humor-based anti-corporate cyberpunk.
  13. 10
    The Stone Canal by Ken MacLeod (bsackerman)
  14. 10
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk
  15. 21
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (romula)
  16. 32
    Virtual Light by William Gibson (Moehrendorf)
  17. 11
    This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities by Jim Rossignol (infiniteletters)
  18. 12
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (fulner)
    fulner: Heretical Fiction
1990s (94)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 634 mentions

English (351)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (358)
Showing 1-5 of 351 (next | show all)
Con este libro tuve un crush más que un crash (redoble de tambores y platillo): esperando que me fuera a costar tanto como me costó [b:Neuromante|95571|Neuromante (Neuromante, #1)|William Gibson|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1171303727s/95571.jpg|909457], descubrí que me resultaba mucho más entretenido y ameno, conjugando lo mejor del Cyberpunk con una prosa muy de mi gusto, menos empalagosa y complicada de lo que esperaría; por supuesto, el tono sarcástico aplicado a situaciones sociales altamente tecnificadas también me ha recordado mucho a [b:Todos sobre Zanzíbar|16006404|Todos sobre Zanzíbar|John Brunner|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1352881430s/16006404.jpg|2184253]. Por otra parte, el trabajo de documentación sobre los aspectos históricos que atañen a la trama me parece soberbio; no solo eso, sino que abre mi mente a nuevas teorías sobre cuestiones que me interesan, como el origen de la civilización humana y que realmente seamos máquinas genéticamente diseñadas por los alienígenas ancestrales. Bueno, en realidad de esto último no hablan (aunque lo tocan tangencialmente), pero es que tengo la cabeza llena de suciedad por culpa de la sociedad de consumo.

Sin embargo, a pesar de todo lo bueno que tiene, también os digo que hacia el final sí sentí cierto desasosiego al convertirse la trama perfectamente orquestada desde el principio en una historia coral con más personajes de los necesarios para su desarrollo, que encima viven en dos mundos a la vez, que en uno de ellos están en diferentes sitios, y que convierten todo lo que tocan en una espiral de violencia bastante caótica. En las notas del autor al final del libro, confiesa que se le hizo bastante complicado escribirlo; tras leerlo, yo confieso que se me ha hecho ligeramente difícil seguir todo lo que estaba pasando con tanta explosión, tanta gente tan molona y tantas cosas pasando a la vez.

Aún así, es muy buena cosa. ( )
  tecniferio | May 12, 2022 |
Interesting story hindered by awfully boring storytelling. You probably have better things to do. ( )
  brutalstirfry | May 6, 2022 |
This is a dystopian book. It is dystopian to the core!
Are we in the Metaverse? This is the book where the term was coined. It is almost impossible to figure out where the action is taking place at times - in the metaverse, or in the real world.
This made the narrative difficult to follow.
But this may well be our future.
Will the lines between reality and virtual reality become so blurred we won't know where we are living? ( )
  RajivC | Mar 14, 2022 |
It's definitely dated. The mythology infodumps felt shoehorned and forced. Stephenson doesn't quite do realistic female characters, though he certainly tries to make them badass, and I appreciate that.

But the ending tied up more loose ends than Cryptonomicon, it wasn't as unnecessarily long either. ( )
  Tikimoof | Feb 17, 2022 |
I seriously loved this book. The writing was good and I loved the satirical way in which Stephenson absolutely excoriates his subjects. It reminded me a little of Delillo. Anyway, though the ending was a little rough I didn't even care a little bit. The whole book was great and hilarious and a little bit terrifying as we edge closer and closer to the world he created.

Hiro Protagonist and YT forever! ( )
  emquixotic | Feb 14, 2022 |
Showing 1-5 of 351 (next | show all)
Hiro Protagonist (who has chosen his own name, of course) turns out to be entertaining company, and Mr. Stephenson turns out to be an engaging guide to an onrushing tomorrow that is as farcical as it is horrific.
 
Stephenson has not stepped, he has vaulted onto the literary stage with this novel.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Reader
 
A cross between Neuromancer and Thomas Pynchon's Vineland. This is no mere hyperbole.
added by GYKM | editSan Francisco Bay Guardian
 

» Add other authors (10 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Stephenson, Nealprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podevin, Jean-FrançoisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
snow n. . . . 2.a. Anything resembling snow. b. The white specks on a television screen resulting from weak reception.

crash v....--intr. . . . 5. To fail suddenly, as a business or an economy.
---The American Heritage Dictionary

virus. . . . [L. virus slimy liquid, poison, offensive odor or taste.] 1. Venom, such as is emitted by a poisonous animal. 2. Path a. A morbid principle or poisonous substance produced in the body as the result of some disease, esp. one capable of being introduced into other persons or animals by inoculations or otherwise and of developing the same disease in them. . . . 3. fig. A moral or intellectual poison, or poisonous influence.
--The Oxford English Dictionary
Dedication
First words
The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory. He's got esprit up to here.
Quotations
HIRO PROTAGONIST
Last of the freelance hackers
Greatest sword fighter in the world
Stringer, Central Intelligence Corporation
Specializing in software-related intel
(music, movies & microcode)
When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins.
"Did you win your sword fight?"
"Of course I won the fucking sword fight," Hiro says. "I'm the greatest sword fighter in the world."
"And you wrote the software."
"Yeah. That, too," Hiro says.
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS
Canonical LCC

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

In the future the only relief from the sea of logos is the computer-generated universe of virtual reality. Now a strange computer virus, called Snow Crash, is striking down hackers, leaving an unlikely young man as humankind's last hope.

No library descriptions found.

Book description
In reality, Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosoNostra Pizza Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain threatening to bring about infocalypse. Snow Crash is a mind-altering romp through a future America so bizarre, so outrageous…you’ll recognize it immediately.
Haiku summary

Popular covers

Quick Links

Rating

Average: (4.1)
0.5 4
1 67
1.5 11
2 247
2.5 64
3 746
3.5 224
4 2027
4.5 265
5 2145

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,160,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible