dismiss

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Snow Crash (1992)

by Neal Stephenson

In the future the only relief from the sea of logos is the computer-generated universe of virtual reality. Now a strange computer virus, called Snow Crash, is striking down hackers, leaving an unlikely young man as humankind's last hope.
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (moonstormer)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (davesmind, jbgryphon)
    davesmind: Although Snow Crash is a classic of cyberpunk, I think Ready Player One has a more captivating story - especially if you played video games in the 80's
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (thebookpile)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (thehoodedone)
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (atrautz)
    Count Zero by William Gibson (thebookpile)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (JFDR)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (ecureuil)
    Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (electronicmemory)
    The Star Fraction by Ken MacLeod (Noisy)
    Noisy: Anarchy viewed from both sides of the fence. 'Snow Crash' offers the capitalist view and 'The Star Fraction' offers the socialist counterpart.
    Omnitopia Dawn by Diane Duane (pammab)
    pammab: To explore the possibilities of virtual reality in the near future. Duane's is much more traditional and pro-corporate fantasy; Stephenson's is more humor-based anti-corporate cyberpunk.
    The Stone Canal by Ken MacLeod (bsackerman)
    Virtual Light by William Gibson (Moehrendorf)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (romula)
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (fulner)
    fulner: Heretical Fiction
    This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities by Jim Rossignol (infiniteletters)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk

English (308)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (313)
Updated Review:
I originally gave up on this book after a few chapters (see below) because I thought the book sucked. However, after reading so many comparisons of Snow Crash to my favorite book of all-time (Ready Player One), I decided I had to give it another goal.

To be fair, I can see how the two books compare. They both deal with a virtual environment (Metaverse and Oasis)...and that's really about it. They start to differ pretty drastically.

I didn't hate this book but I certainly had to force my way through it. It started okay...got better...then worse...then blah blah blah...

I am glad I read it, but will never ever read this book again.

Original Review:
Gave this book a couple of chapters and hated it. I love sci-fi and techno-thrillers, and this was awful. I was actually quite surprised because this book and this author is so well respected. I thought about giving it a few more chapters, and just gave up. Wasn't an enjoyable experience. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
Excellent story from a visionary cyberpunk author.
This was one of my first ebooks and I sat my Second Life avatar inside a virtual recreation of the Black Sun nighclub while I was reading it. It felt a bit surreal, being in the metaverse while reading the novel that predicted it.
Definitely worth checking out, especially for fans of Ready Player One. ( )
  Shijuro | May 16, 2020 |
Snow Crash was a pretty fun book for me to read as an IT professional and avid PC gamer. It wasn't spectacular, but it was good considering its size and the fact it's a single volume. Coming from reading longer books and series, Snow Crash felt like a one and done movie night. That's actually the kind of book I was looking for.

I don't write my reviews to convince anyone to read the book. They're just quick summaries. My star rating is most important.

Here are some things in Snow Crash you get to experience:
- Ultra fast motorcycles
- Futuristic "real" world
- Cyborgs
- Mafia
- Religious contemplation

A couple things I didn't really like:
- Sex with a 15 year-old girl and grown man. This won't bother everyone since there are no laws in the world of Snow Crash. But I still didn't like her attitude about the situation and her other relationships.
- There were a couple uses of time change that just didn't feel like they made sense. Reading the acknowledgements in the back of the book helps explain why I suppose.
- There were some futuristic ideas that were fun to think about but weren't terribly entertaining to follow a character running around in. In particular, the area is called the Raft. ( )
  014 | May 4, 2020 |
Review pending ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 13, 2020 |
Hiro has resigned from his job as a pizza delivery guy, and is going back to his first career as a tech scavenger. He is the creator of The Black Sun, a virtual street, and wrote the rule book for the metaverse. There is a new virtual drug in town, Snow Crash, that not only works as a computer virus. but leaps the boundaries and physically affects the owners of the avatars.

There is lots to like about this book, Stephenson has written a futuristic thriller that mixes tech with a new social order. There are some cool action scenes and I like the seamless way that people interact with the web. Some of the concepts, like the way that the Fedland (the FBI) works, and the way that the street culture has been conceived is superb, but I didn't think that the plot was that great, with lots of unnecessary complexity and parts that didn't make sense.

This was published in 1992 and things have moved on some what since then, so it did feel dated. In lots of ways it reminded me of Neuromancer, as it was an imagined future, and I think if i had read it shortly after publication it would have been dazzling, but now it is just good.

It is well worth reading if you haven't, as I think it can now be considered a Scifi classic. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
Hiro Protagonist (who has chosen his own name, of course) turns out to be entertaining company, and Mr. Stephenson turns out to be an engaging guide to an onrushing tomorrow that is as farcical as it is horrific.

Stephenson has not stepped, he has vaulted onto the literary stage with this novel.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Reader

A cross between Neuromancer and Thomas Pynchon's Vineland. This is no mere hyperbole.
added by GYKM | editSan Francisco Bay Guardian

Stephenson, Nealprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podevin, Jean-FrançoisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
snow n. . . . 2.a. Anything resembling snow. b. The white specks on a television screen resulting from weak reception.

crash v....--intr. . . . 5. To fail suddenly, as a business or an economy.
---The American Heritage Dictionary

virus. . . . [L. virus slimy liquid, poison, offensive odor or taste.] 1. Venom, such as is emitted by a poisonous animal. 2. Path a. A morbid principle or poisonous substance produced in the body as the result of some disease, esp. one capable of being introduced into other persons or animals by inoculations or otherwise and of developing the same disease in them. . . . 3. fig. A moral or intellectual poison, or poisonous influence.
--The Oxford English Dictionary
The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory. He's got esprit up to here.
HIRO PROTAGONIST
Last of the freelance hackers
Greatest sword fighter in the world
Stringer, Central Intelligence Corporation
Specializing in software-related intel
(music, movies & microcode)
When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins.
"Did you win your sword fight?"
"Of course I won the fucking sword fight," Hiro says. "I'm the greatest sword fighter in the world."
"And you wrote the software."
"Yeah. That, too," Hiro says.

In reality, Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosoNostra Pizza Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain threatening to bring about infocalypse. Snow Crash is a mind-altering romp through a future America so bizarre, so outrageous…you’ll recognize it immediately.

5 2000

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,527,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible