Count Zero (1986)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (2)

A stylish, street smart, frighteningly probable parable of the future from the visionary, New York Times bestselling author of Neuromancer and Agency. A corporate mercenary wakes in a reconstructed body, a beautiful woman by his side. Then Hosaka Corporation reactivates him, for a mission more dangerous than the one he's recovering from: to get a defecting chief of R&D--and the biochip he's perfected--out intact. But this proves to be of supreme interest to certain other parties--some of whom aren't remotely human...… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, moltenmold, zeke2212, TheReader6, murfman, ashwagfam, Natt90, FenrirJH, ELockett
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Walkaway: A Novel by Cory Doctorow (tetrachromat)
    tetrachromat: Interesting ideas on how the super rich might spend their money.
    When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger (amweb)

English (52)  Romanian (1)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (55)
I read Neuromancer in 2012 and it has taken me ten years to get the motivation to read Count Zero. Sure, in the years I have picked the book up and read a page or two and every time I just did not feel like this was the novel I wanted to read. Well, I had enough of this behavior and I brought it with me to the middle of Appalachia. There is nothing much around besides kudzu and deer. I read Count Zero in about a day and a half. Count Zero is a bit of a sequel to the previous novel – one would definitely want to read Neuromancer first. However, it is not much of a direct continuation of the storyline; it is more of a continuation of the environment and setting. I liked Count Zero more because the novel just seemed a bit easier to follow.

Gibson novels are very compressed. As I read Gibson, I realize I have to read each and every word absolutely. There is no speed-reading these novels and there is no skipping. No skimming and no skipping – absolutely none, not one word. Not ever.

Reading Gibson novels is a bit tiring because he does have his own architecture and lingo that he does not explain to the reader and the context is not a huge assist, either. Having to read every single word carefully is also tedious because it makes this 246 page novel seem much longer. ( )
1 vote AQsReviews | Sep 6, 2022 |
Count Zero by William Gibson (1987)
  sharibillops | May 20, 2022 |
What can I say? Neuromancer sucked me in, and now I have to read all three. ( )
  zeropluszeroisone | Jan 30, 2022 |
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
Good, but not as good as the first one ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |

Quiero hacer contigo
lo que la primavera
hace con los cerezos
-- Neruda
COUNT ZERO INTERRUPT - on receiving an interrupt, decrement the counter to zero.
For my D
They set a slamhound on Turner's trail in New Delhi, slotted it to his pheromones and the color of his hair.
"The street tries to find its own uses for things, Mr Turner." [Chiba medic: 69]
As she walked from the Louvre, she seemed to sense some articulated structure shifting to accommodate her course through the city. The waiter would be merely a part of the thing, one limb, a probe or palp. The whole would be larger, much larger. How could she have imagined that it would be possible to live, to move, in the unnatural field of Virek's wealth without suffering distortion? Virek had taken her up, in all her misery, and had rotated her through all the monstrous, invisible stresses of his money, and she had been changed. Of course, she thought, of course: It moves around me constantly, watchful and invisible, the vast and subtle mechanism of Herr Virek's surveillance. [Marly: 73]

Count Zero's world of the Sprawl is closer to the connected world of today than Gibson's earlier work Neuromancer.
Count Zero, hacker
Hung out lots in cyberspace
It was newly formed
(pickupsticks)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,282,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible