dismiss

Count Zero (1986)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (2)

A stylish, street smart, frighteningly probable parable of the future from the visionary, New York Times bestselling author of Neuromancer and Agency. A corporate mercenary wakes in a reconstructed body, a beautiful woman by his side. Then Hosaka Corporation reactivates him, for a mission more dangerous than the one he's recovering from: to get a defecting chief of R&D--and the biochip he's perfected--out intact. But this proves to be of supreme interest to certain other parties--some of whom aren't remotely human...… (more)
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Walkaway: A Novel by Cory Doctorow (tetrachromat)
    tetrachromat: Interesting ideas on how the super rich might spend their money.
    When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger (amweb)

English (45)  Romanian (1)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (48)
Very solid followup and a bit easier to follow than Neuromancer. Prescient on the influence of the megacorps and there's more than a little preview of Hubertus Bigend/Cayce Pollard in Josef Virek/Marly here. The voodoo thing is a little bit inscrutable, but then again, it's Gibson, so that's likely the idea. ( )
  goliathonline | Jul 7, 2020 |
more cyberspace adventures
  ritaer | May 10, 2020 |
Very, very, very rich guy whose body is barely alive in a tank tries to buy transfer to true being in computer w/ adventure for all
  JohnLavik | Mar 29, 2020 |
Bizarre, disjointed, unresolved

This is my second attempt to enjoy Gibson and it will be my last. Not my cup of tea for several reasons:

- Much of the dialog reads more like stream-of-consciousness babble than things people would actually say.

- Future jargon and tech thrown in with zero explanation, requiring the reader to eventually figure out what it means through repetitive context. Maybe this will take pages, maybe chapters. Some authors make this approach work; Peter F. Hamilton comes to mind. Gibson does not.

- Disjointed. The voodoo element never meshed or fit for me.

All in all, this writing comes across to me as trying to be too clever by half. I strongly prefer that an author simply tell a good story in understandable fashion. This isn't that. ( )
  Jerry.Hatchett | Mar 21, 2020 |
Nothing ever disappears in cyberspace. I read this book before, although I had forgotten until the scenes began to feel more and more familiar. I didn’t remember the ending though. Did the words follow the same neural pathways this time as last? Were the memories of the plot lingering like loas in more well lit areas of my mind? Scenes and settings got reconstructed like the little boxes that sent Josef Virek searching for the artist. Sometimes my own books seem to possess versions of those boxes, making me the multi-armed machine selecting things for inclusion and then sending them down the gravity well for sale to the real people. Like the Wig who was convinced that God lived in cyberspace, I am convinced that Gibson’s trilogy will continue to fascinate readers as long as they want to experience how it all began. ( )
  drardavis | Jan 10, 2020 |

Quiero hacer contigo
lo que la primavera
hace con los cerezos
-- Neruda
COUNT ZERO INTERRUPT - on receiving an interrupt, decrement the counter to zero.
For my D
They set a slamhound on Turner's trail in New Delhi, slotted it to his pheromones and the color of his hair.
"The street tries to find its own uses for things, Mr Turner." [Chiba medic: 69]
As she walked from the Louvre, she seemed to sense some articulated structure shifting to accommodate her course through the city. The waiter would be merely a part of the thing, one limb, a probe or palp. The whole would be larger, much larger. How could she have imagined that it would be possible to live, to move, in the unnatural field of Virek's wealth without suffering distortion? Virek had taken her up, in all her misery, and had rotated her through all the monstrous, invisible stresses of his money, and she had been changed. Of course, she thought, of course: It moves around me constantly, watchful and invisible, the vast and subtle mechanism of Herr Virek's surveillance. [Marly: 73]

Count Zero's world of the Sprawl is closer to the connected world of today than Gibson's earlier work Neuromancer.
Count Zero, hacker
Hung out lots in cyberspace
It was newly formed
(pickupsticks)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,924,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible