The Diamond Age (1995)

by Neal Stephenson

The story of an interactive book, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, written by John Hackworth, a nano engineer. It helps a girl become a princess and educates an army of girls who eventually save his life. The setting is a world where molecular machines create any object desired and where nations have been replaced by cultural enclaves, in this case the neo-Victorians of coastal China. Part-science fiction, part-political thriller.… (more)
    Everyone in Silico by Jim Munroe (sbuehrle)
    Smart Alec by Kage Baker (bertilak)
    bertilak: Two narratives about cyber-tutors.
    Blood Music by Greg Bear (psybre)
    Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner (LamontCranston)
    All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson (sturlington)
    The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia (majkia)
    majkia: Both books take place in the midst of social upheaval and both portray worlds far from perfect. The class divisions are highlighted and one sees how so many individuals' lives can easily be diminished in a Victorian sort of steampunk culture.
    Starswarm by Jerry Pournelle (infiniteletters)
    Island by Aldous Huxley (urza)
    urza: One is utopistic novel, other science fiction full of nanotechnology. Yet, both books left similar feelings in me. The story in both takes place in beautifuly described colorful world. Both deal with human society and both are kind of "brighter side of the life".
    The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen Beckett (feeling.is.first)
    The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes (suzanney)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its fantasy counterpart

English (178)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Romanian (1)  All languages (185)
I loved this cyberpunk-victorian crossover; an amazing feat of worldbuilding. I'd love to read Seveneves in the future.
  booms | Jan 24, 2021 |
I was captivated by the beginning of this book, feeling protective of little Nell ... but as I read on, I felt more and more deja vu, until near the end I realized I had read it before. I continued, wanting to find out (again) what happens. But my feeling of bewildered disappointed at the end also gave me deja vu. The whole thing seemed rather choppy and disjointed and never came together the way I hoped it would. ( )
  LisaMabley | Jan 3, 2021 |
I started out really liking this book -- the idea of teaching young girls through the use of an interactive book, or "primer" was intriguing, and Nell was an interesting, plucky heroine. However, as the story progressed and the technobabble became increasingly prevalent, I lost interest, and eventually just rushed through to make it to the end. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this book, but the end seemed a bit rushed. It built up a bunch of interesting threads and they all came to a head right at the end, but a lot of the circumstances and motivations weren't very well explained. Otherwise I really liked the take on future social structures, the nano technology, and the idea of the primer itself. ( )
  cypher2048 | Dec 28, 2020 |
nanosites, phyles, rod logic, child rearing aided by AI and a caring human. A kind of Turing test that leads to this idea: At the other end of this wire, I sense human love, more than an AI can elicit. ( )
  kevix | Dec 28, 2020 |

Stephenson, Nealprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiltsie, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By nature, men are nearly alike;
by practice, they get to be wide apart.

- Confucius
The bells of St. Mark's were ringing changes up on the mountain when Bud skated over to the mod parlor to upgrade his skull gun.
The difference between ignorant and educated people is that the latter know more facts. But that has nothing to do with whether they are stupid or intelligent. The difference between stupid and intelligent people--and this is true whether or not they are well-educated--is that intelligent people can handle subtlety. They are not baffled by ambiguous or even contradictory situations--in fact, they expect them and are apt to become suspicious when things seem overly straightforward.
It is upon moral qualities that a society is ultimately founded. All the prosperity and technological sophistication in the world is of no use without that foundation.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014027037X, 0241953197

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,324,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible