dismiss

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code (2003)

by Dan Brown

Series: Robert Langdon (2)

61,138120612 (3.53)902
While in Paris on business, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon receives an urgent late-night phone call: the elderly curator of the Louvre has been murdered inside the museum. Near the body, police have found a baffling cipher. While working to solve the enigmatic riddle, Langdon is stunned to discover it leads to a trail of clues hidden in the works of Da Vinci--clues visible for all to see--yet ingeniously disguised by the painter. Langdon joins forces with a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, and learns the late curator was involved in the Priory of Sion--an actual secret society whose members included Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Da Vinci, among others. In a breathless race through Paris, London, and beyond, Langdon and Neveu match wits with a faceless powerbroker who seems to anticipate their every move. Unless Langdon and Neveu can decipher the labyrinthine puzzle in time, the Priory's ancient secret--and an explosive historical truth--will be lost forever.… (more)
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (tortoise, hippietrail, Sensei-CRS, Sumpinfunky)
    tortoise: Foucault's Pendulum covers a lot of the same ground as The Da Vinci code, but is much more intelligently written and contains real characters.
    hippietrail: Foucault's Pendulum is the thinking man's Da Vinci Code
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (_Zoe_)
    Codex by Lev Grossman (conceptDawg)
    conceptDawg: The “mystery/intrigue that is tied to an historical relic” genre
    The Eight by Katherine Neville (suzanney, kawika)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (norabelle414)
    The Genesis Code by John Case (Scottneumann)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (mrstreme)
    Juliet by Anne Fortier (Bitter_Grace)
    Das Jesusfragment by Henri Lœvenbruck (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Dan Brown invented very little, the tradition of esoteric thrillers is far from new and this genre produced several works in the past. Henri Loevenbruck wrote (before Brown started working on the Da Vinci Code) "Le Testament de Siècles", a novel quite comparable to the Da Vinci Code and of a similar quality.… (more)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: An award-winning bestseller. A Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    The scrolls from the Dead Sea by Edmund Wilson (SnootyBaronet)
    Map of Bones by James Rollins (Scottneumann, Scottneumann)
    The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury (Anonymous user)
    Truth and fiction in The Da Vinci code by Bart D. Ehrman (bertilak)
    The Search by Judith Reeves-Stevens (Scottneumann)
    The Prophetess by Barbara Wood (TomWaitsTables)
    Het document by Jacob Slavenburg (marieke54)
    Relic: The Quest for the Golden Shrine by Tom Egeland (SonjaA)
    Valsheid in geschrifte by J. Slavenburg (marieke54)
    Mona Lisa's Secret by Phil Philips (JenniferRobb)

English (1,102)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (19)  French (13)  Italian (8)  Catalan (5)  Swedish (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Finnish (4)  German (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Danish (2)  Greek (1)  Norwegian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  Arabic (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (1,201)
One of those experiences where you cannot believe you actually stayed through the whole movie or, in this case, read the entire freakin' book. What a waste of time.

Formulaic story, hard to keep track of it (the movie was, for once, better than the book because it had to drop several plot lines). Worst of all was the turgid writing. Ugh.

I only give it one star because I can't give it 0.004 stars. ( )
  MLHart | May 22, 2020 |
Sorry, I just don't get it. Props to those of you who enjoy it, but I can't get on that bandwagon. As a kid I used to LOVE those Clive Cussler "Dirk Pitt" novels: cheap adventure with a straightforward hero, some hot babes, and an historical event linked to the big climax. I've long since lost my interest in those, though, and unfortunately, I didn't think this was as good. I didn't finish it, but Brown's writing style turned me off, and I found the narrative structure to be a bit contrived. Sorry! (Well, okay, I'm not THAT sorry but - much like my boyhood love for Cussler - I do understand that there are people whose reading interests fit this novel perfectly.) ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
The Da Vinci crap is more like it. This is an atrociously dull book in which a bad history lecture breaks out every third page. It's only virtue is that it's a quick read, and even then I feel as it was time wasted. ( )
  MacDad | Mar 27, 2020 |
Fun read, I just wish people would realize that this is FICTION. ( )
  boxybosco | Mar 20, 2020 |
This novel was a classic case of "good idea, bad delivery." I loved the premise, the biblical and historical twists, the symbology, all the background ideas. But the writing and development unfortunately killed it. The characters were flat, the writing dry and nondescriptive, and the plot just seemed to crawl along. Even suspenseful moments were so flatly written they didn't have any spark to them.

Better sources to go to to get the real meat out of this interesting premise are the numerous specials on National Geographic and the History Channel highlighting Da Vinci and his works and the mysteries of Jesus, Mary Magdaleine, and the Knights Templar. The movie also gave the plotline a bit of the action and character depth it sorely lacked, although it wasn't fantastic.

I wanted to like this worldwide, lauded bestseller, but it just wasn't my style of writing. I felt such an amazing premise could have been so much better handled. ( )
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |
botty-dribble

Whenever I read a 454 page book in one sitting, it's probably a safe bet for me to think that other people will like the book. Not that my criteria for excellence necessarily matches that of the literary masses -- but the words "breakout thriller" certainly apply here. Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code is going to make publishing history. Trust me. There are already tables at the local Barnes & Nobles featuring books about the Freemasons, biographies of Leonardo Da Vinci, guidebooks to the Louvre and Renaissance art, all centered around Brown's book. And the book has been out less than two weeks.

The word for ''The Da Vinci Code'' is a rare invertible palindrome. Rotated 180 degrees on a horizontal axis so that it is upside down, it denotes the maternal essence that is sometimes linked to the sport of soccer. Read right side up, it concisely conveys the kind of extreme enthusiasm with which this riddle-filled, code-breaking, exhilaratingly brainy thriller can be recommended.

That word is wow.

The story occasionally strains credibility early on. How could a dying man, one wonders, have time to write out intricate mind puzzles even if as Sophie explains, her grandfather "entertained himself as a young man by creating anagrams of famous works of art." Fortunately, Brown's pacing doesn't leave too much time for questions. From the explosive start to the explosive finish, The Da Vinci Code is one satisfying thriller. I see movie rights being sold already. Pick this one up on a long flight home and you'll never know where the time went.

Den Braun u svom trileru Da Vinčijev kod, kreativno kombinuje mnogobrojne istorijske reference (Da Vinči, Templari, sveti Graal) sa fikcijom. Protagonista romana je, kao i u prethodnom bestseleru Anđeli i demoni harvardski profesor Robert Lengdon . Kada pariska policija otkrije njegovo ime sakriveno u šifrovanoj poruci pronađenoj pored tela ubijenog kustosa Luvra, on postaje njihov glavni osumnjičeni za brutalno ubistvo. Jedina osoba koja veruje u njegovu nevinost je francuski kriptolog, Sofi Nevu, koja mu pomaže da pobegne. Bežeći od policije pokušavaju da dešifruju misterioznu poruku i dolaze do zapanjujućeg zaključka. Ključ za rešenje je sakriven u Da Vinčijevim delima, svima vidljiv, istovremeno dobro sakriven. Put im se ukršta sa vekovima starim tajnim društvom, čiji je član bio pokojni kustos, ali i Da Vinči, Isak Njutn, Botičeli, Igo, kao i sa kontroverznim ogrankom Katoličke crkve. Ukoliko Robert i Sofi ne uspeju da dešifruju kod na vreme, drevna tajna, kao i velika istorijska istina, biće zauvek izgubljena.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Blythe... again. More than ever.
Robert Langdon awoke slowly.
Sophie: "I thought Constantine was a Christian"
Bezu: "Did you approve?" (about the Louvre Pyramid)

Robert: "Yes, your pyramid is magnificent."

Bezu: (grunt) "A scar on the face of Paris."
Robert: "We're on a Grail quest, Sophie. Who better to help us than a knight?" (about Leigh)
Leigh: "Those who seek the truth are more than friends. They are brothers."
A cryptex works much like a bicycle's combination lock ... any information to be inserted is written on a papyrus scroll ... rolled around a delicate glass vial of liquid ... vinegar ... If someone attempted to force open the cryptex, the glass vial would break, and the vinegar would quickly dissolve the papyrus. By the time anyone extracted the secret message, it would be a glob of meaningless pulp.

A murder in the silent after-hours halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle.

The duo become both suspects and detectives searching not only for Neveu's grandfather's murderer, but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England and history itself.
Serial killer
thriller with a religious
twist. Why all the fuss?
(passion4reading)

2 1990

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,278,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible