Little Brother

by Cory Doctorow

Series: Little Brother (1)

5,2223821,640 (4.02)2 / 272
After being interrogated for days by the Department of Homeland Security in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco, California, seventeen-year-old Marcus, released into what is now a police state, decides to use his expertise in computer hacking to set things right.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (kellyholmes)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    The Hacker Crackdown: Law And Disorder On The Electronic Frontier by Bruce Sterling (persky)
    persky: The book that turned Doctorow on to the EFF and a real world account of various government agencies cracking down on teenage hackers.
    Makers by Cory Doctorow (SheReads)
    Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow (PghDragonMan)
    Eastern Standard Tribe by Cory Doctorow (ahstrick)
    Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson (kaledrina)
    After by Francine Prose (meggyweg)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For knowledge, the use and distribution, general purpose. Best for teens.
    The Media Monopoly by Ben H. Bagdikian (strande)
    strande: In chapter thirteen, Ange and Marcus call the media whores. "In fact, that's an insult to hardworking whores everywhere. They're, they're profiteers." Media Monopoly is a whole book about how the media turned into profiteers.
    Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government Saving Privacy in the Digital Age by Steven Levy (kraaivrouw)
    So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld (kellyholmes)
    Geeks: How Two Lost Boys Rode the Internet Out of Idaho by Jon Katz (writecathy)
    The Gospel According to Larry by Janet Tashjian (JFDR)
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (JFDR)
    Ink by Sabrina Vourvoulias (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: Both involve dystopias, resistance, oppression, technology, and interesting characters.
    The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith (kaledrina)
    The Doubt Factory by Paolo Bacigalupi (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Young people take on the system.

English (370)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Hungarian (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Indonesian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (382)
I really enjoyed this book. It was engaging and a fun read, and I learned a lot about computers and tech, which was very interesting. However, I did think the middle dragged on a bit, and some of the side characters felt really flat, especially his love interest. Overall, I would recommend to anyone looking for a tech thriller. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Mar 31, 2022 |
It was rather unbelievable in some places, but was a good story and I enjoyed listening to the audiobook. It was definitely a political statement. ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |
I wish I had read this earlier. It's been sitting on my "To Read" pile for a couple of years. I suspect there aren't many other young adult novels that place the Department of Homeland Security as the villain. There probably should be more. Plus some other three letter agencies. I would have liked to see more character development of Marcus's parents especially his father. Some place for them in the denouement would have been good along with the reporter. Charles as the foil was a little flat to my taste and too easily defeated. I think I need to go pick up the sequel. ( )
  mjduigou | Feb 27, 2022 |
Good premise, let down by poor characterisation and stylistic flaws.
  hierogrammate | Jan 31, 2022 |
Terrific book, try it out you can download it for free from his site. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
Little Brother represents a great step forward in the burgeoning subgenre of dystopian young-adult SF. It brings a greater degree of political sophistication, geekiness and civil disobedience to a genre that was already serving up a milder dose of rebellion. After this, no YA novel will be able to get away with watering down its youthful revolution.

MY favorite thing about “Little Brother” is that every page is charged with an authentic sense of the personal and ethical need for a better relationship to information technology, a visceral sense that one’s continued dignity and independence depend on it: “My technology was working for me, serving me, protecting me. It wasn’t spying on me. This is why I loved technology: if you used it right, it could give you power and privacy.”

I can’t help being on this book’s side, even in its clunkiest moments. It’s a neat story and a cogently written, passionately felt argument.

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Huang, AndrewAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schneier, BruceAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shimizu, YukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice, who makes me whole
I'm a senior at Cesar Chavez high in San Francisco's sunny Mission district, and that makes me one of the most surveilled people in the world.

The ultimate tale of teen rebellion -- one seventeen-year-old against the surveillance state. Big Brother is watching you. Who's watching back? Marcus is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works -- and how to work the system. Smart, fast and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school's intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems. But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison, where they're mercilessly interrogated for days. When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state, where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,963,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible