SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Feed (2002)

by M. T. Anderson

In a future where most people have computer implants in their heads to control their environment, a boy meets an unusual girl who is in serious trouble.

Excellent. One of my favorite YA novels. Taught it again this spring. ( )
  allan.nail | Jul 11, 2021 |
science fiction (teen/adult= "ages 14 "). This was ok, but not that interesting (I would've liked a more plot-driven novel rather than world building and navel gazing). The valley-speak, like, is sorta annoying? Like, a lot? Which maybe was less annoying in 2002 (when this was first published) but which is very tired now, to me at least.

I got to p. 165 or so, but really did not see a reason to continue. Note to parents (who may or may not care): this book contains the f-word and other swears, and drug-abusive behavior (self-driven "malfunctions" as run electronically through people's feeds). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Confessional: I am not a big fan of futuristic, dystopian novels. Feed is Anderson's commentary of big corporation greed and its power over society in the form of extreme consumerism. Additionally, information technology and data mining are taken further by the invention of a brain-implanted feed network capable of scanning and collecting people's thoughts and feelings and regurgitated back as commercials. Told from the first person perspective of Titus, we meet Linc (cloned after Abraham Lincoln), Marty (the guy with the Nike speech tattoo which causes him to insert the word Nike into every sentence), Loga (ex-girlfriend of Titus), Calista (the first girl to get lesions as a fashion statement) and Violet (Titus's new girlfriend and the one to reveal the dangers of the feed). Violet is the most interesting of the group. As an underprivileged teen, she did not get a feed insert until she was older. This causes malfunctioning and Violet's ability to "fight" the feed. Although it is a predictable ending, I appreciated Anderson's reality of the situation. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jun 3, 2021 |
I swear I wrote a review here. Did you eat it GR?

This book was terrible imo. I didn't connect with any of the characters and the one I had the most hope for had the most tragic arc of the story. I wished for a glossary for the slang even though I figured most of it out. I understand what the author was trying to say (I think) and the message that was supposed to be conveyed (I think) but I just didn't enjoy any of it. The feeds were especially annoying to me. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
Like in 1984, most words went over my head. I can't pick up the jargon like the way I used to. There's at least one quote that freaks me out because it's accurate in 2020.
Not going to spill the beans here.

I had high expectations of this book, but the writing style is just not for me.
Maybe I'll find luck in his other books? We'll see. ( )
  DzejnCrvena | Apr 2, 2021 |
Subversive, vigorously conceived, painfully situated at the juncture where funny crosses into tragic, ''Feed'' demonstrates that young-adult novels are alive and well and able to deliver a jolt. The fact that it is a finalist for the National Book Award is in itself a good sign.

FEED is laugh-out-loud funny in its satire, but at the same time it is absolutely terrifying.

M. T. Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beach, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twomey, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“O dear white children casual as birds,

Playing among the ruined languages,

So small beside their large confusing words,

So gay against the greater silences

Of dreadful things you did …”

—from “Anthem for St. Cecilia’s Day,”

W. H. Auden
To all those who resist the feed-M.T.A
We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck.
"Everything we've grown up with the stories on the feed, the games, all of that it's all streamlining our personalities so we're easier to sell to."
You know, I think death is shallower now. It used to be a hole you fell into and kept falling. Now it's just a blank.
But we have entered a new age. We are a new people. It is now the age of oneiric culture, the culture of dreams.

Titus and his friends are typical middle class teens sometime in the far future. They go to School (TM) which is owned by the big corporations. But mostly they listen to their feed, a smart Internet connection directly connected into their brains. The feed knows what they like, it knows what they want and it knows the coolest thing of the moment. The feed markets products to them constantly and also allows them to have private chats with anyone else any time. Then one night Titus meets Violet, a girl a little off the grid. She didn't get a feed until she was 7 and mistrusts the marketing. Amusingly, her father is a professor of dead languages, like Fortran and Basic. Then one night a hacker protester infects their feeds and they learn something about life without the feed.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,344,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible