Feed by M. T. Anderson

Feed (2002)

by M. T. Anderson

In a future where most people have computer implants in their heads to control their environment, a boy meets an unusual girl who is in serious trouble.

Yet another dystopia piece. Reads like the future of our youngsters. Better in audio. ( )
  Reyesk9 | Sep 23, 2019 |
Loved this book. MT Anderson creates a unique character named Titus with an unforgettable, ironically funny voice. Titus lives in a world where people are linked directly to the internet (or to the "feed") through their minds. The "feed" is a two-way street, not only can the user access whatever information they want, they are also constantly inundated with ads. But unfortunately Titus's feed is hacked into by a group of terrorists who for some reason don't believe the feed is a good thing.

While Anderson's ability to immerse himself into his character and into the world he creates kind of turned me off in Octavian Nothing, it was masterfully done here. I was hooked from the hilarious first line: "We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck." HA! I think this book would appeal to adults who aren't typical YA readers. Especially those who like sci fi/tech kind of books.

*spoilers below*

The ending of Feed really left me thinking--not only about the message but also about the fact that the author chose not to have a hopeful tone at the end, which many believe to be a key ingredient in children's literature. In this case, the author was right to ignore this credo, since it was obvious throughout that he didn't approve of the world he set up or even of the behavior of his main character. Anderson wasn't afraid to make Titus do obviously mean/unfeeling things, which made the character all the more realistic. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
This was a re-read, in preparation for leading a group discussion at school. Of course, it's an utterly brilliant book, and more hilarious than I remembered. It was also exactly as depressing as I remembered; I put off the re-read a long time for that reason. It precisely pushes my buttons about advertising, consumption, the American bubble, and generally fiddling while Rome burns. Twelve years after it came out, we're that much closer to the world of the book; it's impressively and demoralizingly prescient. If you need me in the next few days, I'll be rocking back and forth in my house, ordering pants on the internet to dull the pain of existence. ( )
  SamMusher | Sep 7, 2019 |
If you disapprove of profanity, books written in the vernacular, or stories that acknowledge that teens do indeed have sex (that's where teen pregnancies come from - true story), then don't bother with this. You won't like it.

Otherwise, it's a powerful little dystopia which focuses on the social issues and not romance. It hearkens back to an older and darker style of the form as well. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jun 13, 2019 |
“…It’s like a spiral: They keep making everything more basic so it will appeal to everyone. And gradually, everyone gets used to everything being basic, so we get less and less varied as people, more simple. So the corps make everything even simpler. And it goes on and on.”
Titus starts his spring break off like most kids: a trip to the moon. While he plans on having a good time, he doesn’t plan on meeting Violet, altering the course of his simple teenage life. It is commonplace in this society to have installed in the brain and be connected to the feed. Tracking purchases, videos watched, music listened to, and general lifestyle choices, the feed analyzes everyone’s personality to further the consumerism agenda of American life, even though most people with the feed implant grow skin lesions at an alarming rate. Titus has grown up with the feed, yet Violet has not. This allows her to bring a completely different perspective on life to Titus and his friends; however, they aren’t so jive with her interpretations of the world.

Reading Feed for a second time 10 years after the first really brought to light many new discoveries, like the fact that Clouds and School are now trademarked by corporations. With the rise of social media and online companies in current society, it’s creepy how close we are with the concepts of this novel being 100% accurate. Companies are able to suggest things we might like based on our purchases, we can chat people not just with phones but with watches now, and “improved” products are being promoted now more than ever to increase consumerism and the idea of “keeping up with the Jones.” One of my favorite quotes is when Violet says, “Because of the feed, we’re raising a nation of idiots. Ignorant, self-centered idiots.” While there is still hope for our future, this is becoming more true with every passing day. As with George Orwell’s 1984 (which this book always reminds me of), it is a scary reminder of what our world could become if we don’t put forth the effort to maintain our integrity. ( )
1 vote nframke | Apr 30, 2019 |
Subversive, vigorously conceived, painfully situated at the juncture where funny crosses into tragic, ''Feed'' demonstrates that young-adult novels are alive and well and able to deliver a jolt. The fact that it is a finalist for the National Book Award is in itself a good sign.

FEED is laugh-out-loud funny in its satire, but at the same time it is absolutely terrifying.

M. T. Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beach, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twomey, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all those who resist the feed-M.T.A
We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck.
"Everything we've grown up with the stories on the feed, the games, all of that it's all streamlining our personalities so we're easier to sell to."
You know, I think death is shallower now. It used to be a hole you fell into and kept falling. Now it's just a blank.
But we have entered a new age. We are a new people. It is now the age of oneiric culture, the culture of dreams.

Titus and his friends are typical middle class teens sometime in the far future. They go to School (TM) which is owned by the big corporations. But mostly they listen to their feed, a smart Internet connection directly connected into their brains. The feed knows what they like, it knows what they want and it knows the coolest thing of the moment. The feed markets products to them constantly and also allows them to have private chats with anyone else any time. Then one night Titus meets Violet, a girl a little off the grid. She didn't get a feed until she was 7 and mistrusts the marketing. Amusingly, her father is a professor of dead languages, like Fortran and Basic. Then one night a hacker protester infects their feeds and they learn something about life without the feed.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,742,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible