Fahrenheit 451 (1953)

by Ray Bradbury

44,32387322 (4.02)1 / 1322
The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning, along with the houses in which they were hidden. Guy Montag was a fireman whose job it was to start fires, and he enjoys his job. He had been a fireman for ten years, and never questioned the pleasure of the midnight runs nor the joy of watching pages consumed by flames. He never questioned anything until he met a seventeen-year-old girl who told him of a past when people were not afraid and a professor who told him of a future in which people could think. Guy Montag suddenly realized what he had to do.… (more)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (readafew, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (thekoolaidmom)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Smiler69)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (ateolf)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Match to Flame: The Fictional Paths to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A great study of how Bradbury came to write Fahrenheit 451 as a progress through his own short stories, letters and drafts. A similar collection of stories but without some of the other material is also available as "A Pleasure To Burn"
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (goodiegoodie, kristenn)
    The October Country by Ray Bradbury (Booksloth)
    A Gift upon the Shore by M. K. Wren (lquilter)
    lquilter: "A Gift Upon the Shore" is a post-apocalyptic world; some people seek to preserve books and knowledge, but they are seen as a danger to others. Beautifully written.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Morteana)
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (allenmichie)
    The Medium is the Massage: An Inventory of Effects by Marshall McLuhan (bertilak)
    The Fireman by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    Too Loud a Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal (edwinbcn)
    A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern-day Iraq by Fernando Báez (bertilak)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (andja)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (jlynno84)
    Shadowlife by Martin Grzimek (spiphany)
    The Acolyte by Nick Cutter (ShelfMonkey)

1950s (1)
Read (40)

English (809)  Spanish (21)  Italian (12)  French (6)  German (6)  Finnish (5)  Catalan (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Vietnamese (1)  Greek (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (870)
Science Fiction with an impact at one of it's highest levels. The story follows a man a future society where he works as a fireman -- only firemen don't put out fires. Instead, they burn books. This heavy handed symbolism for the issues of the 1950's surrounding communism and a general fear of new ideas. It's interesting to think what kind of an affect this book had on our society. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
This book is an absolute must read, whether you're a bookworm or not this needs to be put in the hands of every person, preferably as soon as they are mature enough to handle the slightly questionable content in some places throughout the book. No body could ever change my mind on this one.

This is actually the third time I've read this book. I was 12 when I read it the first time, 16ish the second. Since that was far too long ago it was time to pick it back up and reread it (something I suggest everyone who has already read it in the past to do). The book was an instant favorite even at 12 and that hasn't changed. Fahrenheit 451 is one of those beautifully written stomach-churning stories, a warning at the time it was written and now it seems very close to our reality

This story is more than just books being burned (which, as a bibliophile is horrific enough to think of) it's about censorship of every kind, it's about tv's replacing any other form of entertainment, about everything reduced to the shortest headlines possible. Look around the popular social media sights, and probably your own text message log and you'll see emoji's and terms such as brb and lol have taken over and actual words are dwindling away. WE let this happen, just as they did in the book.
E-books are even taking over whats left of the literary world and while I do indeed utilize ebooks I make a point to purchase physical books as often as possible. Just reading a physical book is a statement of rebellion these days, akin to writing a handwritten letter and sending it off via post. Books are pieces memories, history, learning tools, entertainment, the better ones inspiring creativity and/or action. Bradbury knew this. Some of us still remember as well but others have long forgotten. So do the world a favor. Log off, turn off the tv and open a book. A physical book. and enjoy, knowing you're holding something that represents so much more than the story contained in the pages. ( )
1 vote literarylifelines | May 13, 2021 |
It was a pleasure to burn.
It was a special pleasure to see things eaten, to see things blackened and changed. With the brass nozzle in his fists, with this great python spitting its venomous kerosene upon the world, the blood pounded in his head, and his hands were the hands of some amazing conductor playing all the symphonies of blazing and burning to bring down the tatters and the charcoal ruins of history.

Reading with my inner child, part whatever and one

Me: Wow, that is a gutsy beginning, liking the burning.
IC: Oooh, I like it! Wait, who is that stupid girl? Why is she talking? She's ruining it!
Me: No, now, hold on, I'm only 20 pages in, here. It's got great language. (Remember how much I liked [b:Dandelion Wine|50033|Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)|Ray Bradbury|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1374049845s/50033.jpg|1627774]?) Oh, that is some severe depression, there.
IC: That was great. Wait. Is this a book where people who like technology are teh stoopids? Sermon! No want!
Me: Just hold on a minute! I don't think that's his point. He's a more complicated author than that. He loved Poe and Melville and Dickinson. Besides, I don't even like TV, and it does have sedative and addictive effects.
IC: He also loved Hawthorne. And I do so like TV! CSI! Dr. Who! X-FILES!!! Scully and Mulder are coming back! January 24th!
Me: OK, that's true, I like that TV. But I forgive him the Hawthorne and I really don't think...
IC: Iphone! Ipod! Kindle! PlayStation! Internet! I LIKE technology. And I like Mildred. She reminds me of people I know. She shouldn't be stupid. She shouldn't be so cardboard.
Me: OK, look, just stop. This is a big, important book and almost everyone I know loves it. And I don't think liking Mildred is going to turn out well. Just settle down and read.
IC: OMG, there is that stupid girl again. I hate her. And he's special because he looks at the moon and drinks the rain. I HATE BOOKS LIKE THIS!
Me: No. Just settle down. Hey, look, a robot dog.
IC: *sulking*
Me: Well, that's not going to turn out well.
IC: She's back. Make her go away.
Me: *Reads some more.* Well, there it is. Happy now?
IC: OMG she's still talking! Why?!?
Me: OK, Mildred's getting deeper characterization now. That's good, right?
IC: I like Beatty.
Me: Beatty is evil. Do not like Beatty. This is NOT going to end well.
IC: Beatty is complicated. Beatty is the best.
Me: *sigh* OK, see there, Faber is specifically addressing that TV didn't have to be bad, that it's the content, not the medium.
IC: Montag is being a dumbass again.
Me: OK, yeah, dumb. Not going to end well. Oop, there you go. Didn't end well.
IC: Aw, Beatty.
Me: Oooh, chase scene. Really good, right?
IC: Maybe.
Me: Don't be difficult. This is getting good. Oh, see there? I like the way this is going. I like Granger. And I like ... Oh, wow. That kind of came out of nowhere.
IC: No it didn't.

Me: OK, then. Well. Great book. I loved it, right?
IC: I liked it.
Me: Really? Because that's another book I'm supposed to like a lot more than I do. Plus this is a theme I really care about. Think about that banned books project and censorship around the world.
IC: It still should have been a little better.
Me: It was published in 1953.
IC: Shakespeare is from the 1600s. Melville was the 1850s. Woolf was the 1920s. He needed to be better. I really did like it, though.
Me: OK, fine, but everybody's going to roll their eyes at me for this.
IC: I'm on the internet. They can roll their eyes whenever they want and I won't even know. They could be doing it right now.
Me: Whatever.
IC: Hey.
Me: Hmmm?
IC: I want to read Dandelion Wine again.
Me: And now I have to fit in another reread. 2016 is really not going as planned.
IC: That's because your plans are stupid.
Me: Point. ( )
1 vote amyotheramy | May 11, 2021 |
Who knew the writing would be so horrible for so revered a novel? Bradbury dished out those adverbs like there was no tomorrow (I was loling already by pg 2: “he showered luxuriously”). Montag’s fits of rage were condescending arguments against a strawman world in which books are reviled. The characters are mostly one-dimensional, and the female characters barely even that. From the obsession with Clarisse’s whiteness to a world in which only the word of men can be bothered to survive, I reject this book. ( )
  jiyoungh | May 3, 2021 |
This is one of my absolute favorites; I have loved my copy of this book enough that it has fallen apart. ( )
  nagshead2112 | Apr 27, 2021 |
Classique parmi les classiques, Fahrenheit 451 est à la SF ce que le Dracula de Stocker est au fantastique. Cette œuvre est une contre-utopie à la mesure du Meilleur des mondes de Huxley ou à 1984 de Orwell. C’est dire…

This intriguing idea might well serve as a foundation on which to build a worst of all possible worlds. And to a certain extent it does not seem implausible. Unfortunately, Bradbury goes little further than his basic hypothesis. The rest of the equation is jerry-built.

Bradbury, Rayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stangl, KatrinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veikat, MarjuToimetaja.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
أحمد خالد توفيقTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"If they give you ruled paper,
write the other way."
Juan Ramón Jiménez
FAHRENHEIT 451:
the temperature at which
book-paper catches fire and burns
This one, with gratitude,
is for
Don Congdon
It was a pleasure to burn.
It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away.
But that's the wonderful things about man; he never gets so discouraged or disgusted that he gives up doing it all over again, because he knows very well it is important and worth the doing.
But remember that the Captain belongs to the most dangerous enemy of truth and freedom, the solid unmoving cattle of the majority. Oh, God, the terrible tyranny of the majority.
I'm afraid of children my own age. they kill each other. Did it always use to be that way? My uncle says no. Six of my firends have been shot in the last year alone. Ten of them died in car wrecks. I'm afraid of them and they don't like me because I'm afraid. My uncle says his grandfather remembered when children didn't kill each other. But that was a long time ago when they had things different. They believed in responsibility, my uncle says. Do you know, I'm responsible. I was spanked when I needed it, years ago. And I do all the shopping and housecleaning by hand.
The same infinite detail and awareness could be projected through the radios and televisors, but are not. No, no, it's not books at all you're looking for! Take it where you can find it, in old phonograph records, old motion pictures, and in old friends; look for it in nature and look for it in yourself. Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us. Of course you couldn't know this, of course you still can't understand what I mean when I say all this.
This is the original novel by Ray Bradbury, not the 1966 film directed by François Truffaut or any other adaptation.

"The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning... along with the houses in which they were hidden." Fahrenheit 451 is an enlightening story that is almost daunting. In a place where firemen build fires to burn books, this story is somewhat forboding because although it may seem extreme, it causes the reader to look at how much we take books and freedom for granted. Guy Montag goes outside the norm of a society where relationships are based on material things in order to try to discover how life would be if one were to actually think and live for themselves instead of being told what to do and how to behave.

AR level 5.2, 7 pts
A fireman burns books
But then he dares to read one
And goes on the lam
(DarrylLundy)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,969,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible