Oryx and Crake (2003)

by Margaret Atwood

Series: MaddAddam Trilogy (1)

15,631503282 (3.95)2 / 1179
Oryx and Crake is at once an unforgettable love story and a compelling vision of the future. Snowman, known as Jimmy before mankind was overwhelmed by a plague, is struggling to survive in a world where he may be the last human, and mourning the loss of his best friend, Crake, and the beautiful and elusive Oryx whom they both loved. In search of answers, Snowman embarks on a journey-with the help of the green-eyed Children of Crake-through the lush wilderness that was so recently a great city, until powerful corporations took mankind on an uncontrolled genetic engineering ride. Margaret Atwood projects us into a near future that is both all too familiar and beyond our imagining.… (more)
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (daby)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (andja)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (haeji, lahni)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (readerbabe1984)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (goodiegoodie)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (PghDragonMan)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (Oct326, goodiegoodie)
    Oct326: Both post-apocalyptic novels, Atwood's one is satyric and sarcastic, and skilfully projects some trends of current society in a not-too-far future, suggesting that they can lead us to catastrophe; while Miller's one is very sad, even tragic, deeply pessimistic about humanity, which it describes as inherently stupid and evil, and inevitably bound to repeat its mistakes and destroy itself.… (more)
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: What happens when the experiment is unleashed?
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Valari2)
    Valari2: It's another take of where the future might take us.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (mcenroeucsb)
    We: A Novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin (themephi)
    MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood (Philosofiction)
    Memory of Water by Emmi Itäranta (amsee)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (eenerd)
    Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison (schmindie_kid)
    The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers (wonderlake)
    Far North by Marcel Theroux (julie10reads)
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (sturlington)
    Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (limerts)
    limerts: A common theme of humanity destroying itself.

English (489)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (502)
It was a good read, but of course, I read it out of order. I read the second one first, and I liked it better. More to my liking perhaps. The two books complement each other and it is really a story told from two different points of view. This is the more techno, gene-splicing version. My only gripe is the title is Oryx and Crake and it was from another characters reference of the goings-on. I would have liked it from Crakes mind, I think, because he is more fascinating. Interesting leading up to post-apocolyptic (I really need to learn how to spell that word!) times. The ending makes you want to read the second book, for sure. Totally a hanger! ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (2004)
  sharibillops | May 20, 2022 |
This is quite possibly the oddest book I have ever read. It is the first in a trilogy and I am not sure if I will read the next two ( )
  Sunandsand | Apr 30, 2022 |
What a book!
I am giving it 5 stars, but I am not sure what to feel... this story has so many ups and downs... so many raw and interesting reflections. It is a book about loss, trust, love, and friendship.
It is a dystopia genre, but it is also a complicated love story. Generally, relationships are not easy to deal with. In this world, without conventional rules, they get worst. Especially the relationships between two friends!
Here we also discover a loss of your identity or what you believe you once were.
I can't explain how many things this book has!
It was a terrifying read and also really entertaining. ( )
  Hanna_Rybchynska | Apr 29, 2022 |
An interesting read. Took a while to get into the book but it had enough to keep going and finish it. It is thought provoking about what can happen ( )
  JevKim | Apr 22, 2022 |
Oryx and Crake is a piece of dystopian fiction written from the point of Snowman (known as Jimmy in his former life) – the last human left on Earth. At least, he believes he’s the last human left on Earth until the end of the book.

I found the parts of the book describing Snowman’s journey to Paradice (the dome in the compound where Crake did his work) to be a lot less interesting than his recollections of his previous life as Jimmy. I loved reading about how Jimmy and Crake met, the little signs that Crake gave off as to what he might be planning and the direction his thoughts might take in the future (though Jimmy didn’t recognize these until it was too late), etc.

Crake is really the star of the show in this book in my mind – Jimmy simply acts as a vessel for us to learn about a character who is dead and who therefore cannot teach us about himself.

Snowman’s adventures in real time seem almost pointless to me. Why not dedicate the whole book to Jimmy’s friendship with Crake, with just a bit of general explanation as to what’s going on now? I think the present would have been much more interesting if the Crakers were explored more than Jimmy’s struggle to survive and come to grips with what Crake had done.

On the whole, however, I thought it was a great book.

Set sometime in the future, this post-apocalyptic novel takes scientific research in the hands of madmen to its logical and frightening conclusion. Inspiring readers to pay more attention to the world around them, Atwood offers cautionary notes about the environment, bioengineering, the sacrifice of civil liberties, and the possible loss of those human values which make life more than just a physical experience. As the novel opens, some catastrophe has occurred, effectively wiping out human life. Only one lonely survivor and a handful of genetically altered humanoids remain, and they are slowly starving as they try to adjust to their changed circumstances.
added by stephmo | editMostly Fiction, Mary Whipple (May 28, 2004)

In Margaret Atwood's first attempt at writing a novel, the main character was an ant swept downriver on a raft. She abandoned that book after the opening scene and became caught up in other activities, which she has described as ''sissy stuff like knitting and dresses and stuffed bunnies.'' That certainly does not sound like Ms. Atwood, who is known for the boldness of her fiction. Of course she was only 7 at the time.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Mel Gussow (Jun 24, 2003)

Margaret Atwood has always taken a jaundiced view of human nature. Back when her mordant observations about marriage and other relations between the sexes had her marked down as a feminist, she took pains to fire off several novels in a row featuring weak, manipulative, dishonest and outright bad women, partly to prove that her skepticism was distributed fairly. She has always been of the opinion that people are a mixed bag of the occasionally decent and the frequently mendacious and that there's not much anyone can do to change that fact.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Laura Miller (May 27, 2003)

Genetic tinkering. Rampant profiteering. A deadly virus that sweeps the globe. Are these last Tuesday's headlines or our future?

In Margaret Atwood's novel Oryx and Crake, the answer is both. For Atwood, our future is the catastrophic sum of our oversights. It's a depressing view, saved only by Atwood's biting, black humor and absorbing storytelling.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Jackie Pray (May 26, 2003)

Atwood, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chancer, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davids, TinkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richardson, C.S.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, CampbellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I could perhaps like others have astonished you
with strange improbable tales; but I rather chose
to relate plain matters of fact in the simplest
manner and style; because my principal design
was to inform you, and not to amuse you.
— Jonathan Swift,
Gulliver’s Travels
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of
the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter,
but all was miracle and leaping from the
pinnacle of a tower into the air?
— Virginia Woolf,
To the Lighthouse
For my family
Snowman wakes before dawn.
“I am not my childhood,” Snowman says out loud. — 4: Hammer ~ 68
“Your friend is intellectually honorable,” Jimmy’s mother would say. “He doesn’t lie to himself.”
— 4: Crake ~ 69
“Jimmy, Jimmy,” said Crake. “Not everything has a point.” — 4: Crake ~ 70
If he wants to be an asshole it’s a free country. Millions before him have made the same life choice.
— 4: Crake ~ 72
When did the body first set out on its own adventures? Snowman thinks; after having ditched its old travelling companions, the mind and the soul, for whom it had once been considered a mere corrupt vessel or else a puppet acting out their dramas for them, or else bad company, leading the other two astray. — 4: Brainfrizz ~ 85

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,382,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible