Pure

by Julianna Baggott

Series: Pure [Baggott] (1)

1,21910413,371 (3.76)81
In a post-apocalyptic world, Pressia, a sixteen-year-old survivor with a doll's head fused onto her left hand meets Partridge, a "Pure" dome-dweller who is searching for his mother, sure that she has survived the cataclysm.
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (eenerd)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (eenerd)
    The Book of Koli by M. R. Carey (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Both are about an adolescent trying to survive in a post apocalyptic dystopian society.
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books deal with teenagers coming to terms with adulthood in post-apocalyptic situations and partnering with someone from "the other side."
    Enclave by Ann Aguirre (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books feature a strong female lead who has just beomce an adult in a post-apocalyptic world where she must survive.

English (101)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (103)
adult sci-fi (teen-friendly). Sort of an extra dark/twisty Hunger Games, with the priveleged living safe in the Dome and everyone else left to be suffer as Wretches and Dusts and Beasts and such. I need to request the second book from my library right away. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Wow ... ( )
  TaraF | Mar 16, 2021 |
This is yet another entry into the saturated field of YA dystopian literature and, I know, if you're anything like me, you're beginning to get wary of reading yet another book of this genre. But, I urge you to give Pure a look.

Baggott creates a world post "Detonations" where there have been nuclear type bombs that destroyed most of the world. Many people were able to remain untouched because they had been inside these Domes that had been built at the times of the explosions. They are called Pures. Others, like the main character, Pressia, were damaged. Their bodies became fused with other objects causing horrible deformities. Life outside the Domes is difficult on a good day. At age 16, all people outside the Domes are required to turn themselves over to the OSR so that they can be either trained to be soldiers, or if not healthy enough, used as live targets. The book starts with Pressia's 16th birthday.

The other main character is Partridge. Partridge is a Pure raised inside the Dome. His father is one of the leaders. Partridge's brother committed suicide and his mother never made it inside the Dome and died a martyr helping others. Then, one day, his father makes a remark that leads Partridge to believe that his mother might still be alive. This leads Partridge to escape outside the Dome to try and find his mother. When he and Pressia meet up, both of their lives change forever.

I really enjoyed this book. I had some difficulties with some of the imagery and picturing some of the fusions described in the book in my head. i just couldn't wrap my mind around some of it. Guess my imagination is failing me there. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I've had an ARC of Pure on my shelves for years. The book was originally published in 2012, so that means I've had this sitting around and collecting dust for nearly a decade. That's a ridiculous amount of time, but I know some of you can relate. I was never in the mood for this one, but the synopsis was too interesting for me to let it go without reading it first. Lately, I've been using audiobooks as a way to help me get through some of my older stuff, and I've had a lot of success!

I liked the originality of the story, but didn't care for some of the content. People are physically abused, tortured, experimented on, and that's in addition to what the bombs did to people's bodies. They're fused with each other (mothers and children, animals and humans, inanimate objects and whatever was closest to them). It was vividly descriptive, but also unsettling and horrifying. There's also animal abuse, which I've always found hard to stomach even when it's fictional.

The characters were interesting, but not very relatable. Pressia is a child (sixteen, I believe), and she's dealing with issues most adults would find challenging. She's lost people she's cared about, endured unimaginable hardships, and still maintained something as improbable as kindness. She cares about others in a kill-or-be-killed world, and sometimes that faith in people has harmed her more than helped. I do like that there was obvious character development, but wish some of her more childlike tendencies had been expunged.

At times it felt like the author was being cruel and shocking for no reason at all. After a while it starts to lose its effectiveness, and you're just left with something else that makes you cringe, but isn't really all that unexpected anymore. The predictability of the cruelty was not an aspect I liked about this book. It's disturbing qualities are not what initially piqued my interest, but the prospect of a dystopian world that was unlike anything I've read before. I think I got a little more than I bargained for, which made it hard for me to fully lose myself in this story. Additionally, I had to listen to this book in pieces, because sometimes it was just too much.

I thought Pure was wonderfully innovative, but too unsettling for my tastes.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin' | Amazon | Pinterest ( )
  doyoudogear | Jan 19, 2020 |
Where do I even start in my love for this book? Seriously. I picked up Pure on a whim, on a hunch that the cover was holding something immensely interesting, and I was dead on. Julianna Baggott doesn't just rehash the same old dystopia that is thrown around so often in young adult fiction. Far from it. What you'll find here, hidden in the pages of Pure, is a romp into the gritty and very realistic lives of those who survived the Detonations. It isn't pretty my friends, but it's fascinating.

Pressia's dystopian home is imagined and described beautifully. Baggott lures the reader into a world that has been torn apart. Whole towns leveled to the ground. People who are fused to inanimate objects, or worse yet, their own loved ones. What really comes through more than anything else here is the haunted existence that these survivors live. They've come to terms with who they are now, but so many of them cling to their remembrances of the "the Before" to stay sane. Those who survived only did so because they gave up a part of themselves. The hurt, the anguish, the spark of survival, Baggott shares it all with us through this dark and desolate world she puts her characters into.

In terms of the characters, I really enjoyed them all. From the Pressia, all the way down to the normal townspeople, each character is built lovingly and realistically. Pressia is a character who is hard not to fall for. Despite her self acknowledged flaws, she won't give up on herself or her companions. When things get tough, we meet Bradwell and Partridge. Bradwell is the epitome of what a survivor is. Never getting too close to anyone else. Until, that is, he meets Pressia. Partridge is a gorgeous mirror to the ugliness that surrounds Pressia and Bradwell. With his perfect clothes and skin, his enhanced DNA, he becomes the odd man out. However it is only by working together that these three can ultimately save themselves, and those around them.

I'm rambling I know. That's how much I enjoyed Pure. So much that I can't quite put into words how much I loved it. The action in this book is copious, the world is beautifully built, the characters are strong and lovable. Everything about Pure is new, refreshing and amazing. I've read dystopian fiction. I love dystopian fiction. It is because of this that I can say that Pure far outshines everything else I've read in this genre so far. If you are okay with a bit of grit in your reading, pick up Julianna Baggott's new book and prepare to be sucked in. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Baggott mixes brutality, occasional wry humor, and strong dialogue into an exemplar of the subgenre
added by 4leschats | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (Nov 4, 2011)

Julianna Baggottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Collins, Kevin T.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CaseyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Phoebe, who made a bird of wire.
There was a low droning overhead a week or so after the Detonations; time was hard to track.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,590,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible