dismiss

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein (1818)

by Mary Shelley

31,80757551 (3.81)1 / 1627
A monster assembled by a scientist from parts of dead bodies develops a mind of his own as he learns to loathe himself and hate his creator.
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (SanctiSpiritus, ghr4)
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Liondancer, artturnerjr)
    Liondancer: another scientist whose creatures get out of control
    artturnerjr: Both books share a similar blend of science fiction and horror.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (MarcusBrutus, Cecilturtle, LitPeejster)
    The Golem by Gustav Meyrink (Kolbkarlsson)
    The Journals of Mary Shelley by Professor Paula R. Feldman (JessamyJane)
    Grendel by John Gardner (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both books attempt to get into the mind of a monster.
    Monster: A Novel of Frankenstein by Dave Zeltserman (Crypto-Willobie)
    Crypto-Willobie: A decadent noirish retelling of the Frankenstein story from the monster's point of view.
    Dracula [Norton Critical Edition] by Bram Stoker (Nubiannut)
    Frankenstein: A Cultural History by Susan Tyler Hitchcock (FFortuna)
    The Sand Man / The Deserted House by E. T. A. Hoffmann (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Written within a year of each other, Hoffmann's The Sandman and Shelley's Frankenstein both feature man-made beings. And both have been adapted beyond recognition.
    Prometheus Bound by Aeschylus (thecoroner)
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Morteana)
    The Hidden by Richard Sala (Michael.Rimmer)
    Sielun pimeä puoli : Mary Shelley ja Frankenstein by Merete Mazzarella (GoST)
    The Mysterious Stranger and Other Stories (Dover Thrift Edition) by Mark Twain (JolieLouise)
    JolieLouise: The Mysterious Stranger is about a creator's treatment of his creation.
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (DeusXMachina)
    DeusXMachina: Science and the responsibility for its results.
    Mary Shelley's Frankenstein [1994 film] by Kenneth Branagh (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Nowhere near as bad as many silly reviews would have you believe. Countless changes of the novel, but the spirit, the basic story and the essence of the characters are retained. Actually improved. The movie's more Gothic and more horror, for one (or two) thing(s). More dramatic and more tightly plotted, too. Excellent cast and production design.… (more)
    Seven Masterpieces of Gothic Horror: The Castle of Otranto; The Old English Baron; Mistrust; The White Old Maid; The Heir of Mondolfo; The Fall of the House of Usher; Carmilla by Robert Donald Spector (FrankNstein)
    The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (leigonj)
    leigonj: The romantic elements of Frankenstein are clearly influenced by Goethe's classic of the genre. I was not in the least surprised when it was referred to directly in the text.

Power (1)
Europe (249)
Catalog (27)
1810s (2)

English (549)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (573)
[Reviewed as part of The Illustrated Book Club]

Frankenstein is rightly considered one of the earliest works of science fiction. And like the best science fiction, it is not primarily concerned with whether something is possible (the how-to of so-called hard sci-fi), but what it would mean for human beings if it were possible. Many university bookshelves bow with the weight of competing critiques - feminist, psychoanalytical, marxist/anti-capitalist - arguing over what Frankenstein really means. And such themes are definitely there, to whatever extent. However, it is a book that is rich enough to allow for such a wide range of interpretations because, fundamentally, it is a story told in dreamlike symbols. And like all dreams, they can mean what you want them to. This I think is why its popularity has endured so long.

Despite its dreamlike quality, the narrative itself is at pains to be 'realistic' - through journals and letters and other forms of literary device (a method - if I remember rightly - that it shares with Stoker's Dracula and Defoe's Robinson Crusoe). This is cleverly and skilfully done, for the most part. However, while there is certainly plenty of action and incident, this form of narrative doesn't really lend itself to thriller-like suspense, but more of a sort of meditative distance, allowing us to analyse the psychology and motives of the characters. There are also points at which the attempts at realism seem strained or dated: for example, the monster's own account of how he comes to learn language is detailed but (speaking as a philosopher) implausible. So, it would almost have been better to leave this account out, you might think - but then, remember, this is not hard sci-fi or true realism; the main point is to allow the monster to speak. Unlike the dumb, non-rational things that science exploits and experiments on - Descartes's clockwork cats and dogs - the monster has a voice. Does it really matter how he got it? Don't let the journals and letters fool you. This is a dream, after all, and all attempts to make sense of it are mere rational confabulations of a left-brain all at sea (or at least, in a villa overlooking a lake...).

Gareth Southwell is a philosopher, writer and illustrator.
  Gareth.Southwell | May 23, 2020 |
The writing seems stiff at times, but maybe that's just the time in which it was written. Whatever the case, the story and characters present a complex emotional tragedy. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |
The classic tale of horror. If you love this genre this is a must read. ( )
  NAgis | May 6, 2020 |
I think everyone has had some exposure to the general idea of what this book is about. I certainly had, and was not altogether excited by the prospect of reading it. I got a free copy, and decided to dive in anyway. I'm so glad that I did. The story was much deeper than I'd ever thought it was based on the modern re-imaginings that we've probably all seen in various media. The monster was not just some groaning & slow-moving zombie, but rather a thoughtful and tormented being. He not only is able to speak, but can be quite eloquent and persuasive when he is so inclined. Frankenstein himself is similarly not the maniacal mad scientist that he is often portrayed to be.

I would whole-heartedly recommend this book to anyone. I am very glad to have read it, despite my initial hesitance. ( )
  localstatic | May 4, 2020 |

Has the adaptation

Frankenstein [adapted - Great Illustrated Classics] by Malvina G. Vogel

Frankenstein [Step-Up Classic Chillers] by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein: The Graphic Novel by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein [adapted - Treasury of Illustrated Classics] by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Did I request thee, Maker, from my clay
To mould me man? Did I solicit thee
From darkness to promote me?
—Paradise Lost, x, 743-5
TO
WILLIAM GODWIN
Author of Political Justice, Caleb Williams, &c.
THESE VOLUMES
Are respectfully inscribed
by
THE AUTHOR
To Mrs Saville, England. St. Petersburgh, Dec. 11th, 17—. You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings.
You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied
the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded
with such evil forebodings.
The event on which this fiction is founded has been supposed, by Dr. Darwin, and some of the physiological writers of Germany, as not of impossible occurrence. - preface by P.B. Shelley
Mary Shelley: Though her life was fraught with personal tragedy, Mary Shelley was destined for literary greatness. (Barnes and Noble Edition)
Author's Introduction:  The publishers of the Standard Novels, in selecting Frankenstein for one of their series, expressed a wish that I should furnish them with some account of the origin on the story.  (Author's Introduction to the Standard Novels Edition (1831))
“ I had admired the perfect form of my cottagers—their grace, beauty, and delicate complexions: but how was I terrified when I viewed myself in a transparent pool . . . and when I was convinced that I was in reality the monster that I am I was filled with the bitterest sensations of despondence and mortification.”
"I will be with you on your wedding night!"
It was the wretch, the filthy daemon to whom I had given life!
"I have lately been so engaged in one occupation that I have not allowed myself sufficient rest. But I hope that all those employments are now at an end, and that I am at length free."
I felt the bitterness of disappointment; dreams that had been my food and pleasant rest for so long a space were now become a hell to me.
This is the main work for Frankenstein. It should not be combined with any abridgement or adaptation.

.dbf

Template:Cite techreport/testcases

Template:Cite thesis/testcases

Template:Convert/Transwiki guide/translate

Template:Infobox book/doc

Wikipedia:List of online reference desks/Science

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Novels

Wikipedia:Phase II feature requests/Wiki shortcuts

Wikipedia:Red flags in edit summaries

Wikipedia:Redirects for discussion/Log/2015 August 22

Wikipedia:Reference desk archive/Language/April 2006

Frankenstein was published in 1818, the work of a 21-year-old genius named Mary Shelley. Hundreds of movies, adaptations, and monster masks later, its reputation remains so lively that the title has become its own word in the English language. Victor Frankenstein, a scientist, discovers the secret of reanimating the dead. After he rejects his hideous creation, not even the farthest poles of the earth will keep his bitter monster from seeking an inhuman revenge. Inspired by a uniquely Romantic view of science’s possibilities, Shelley’s masterpiece ultimately wrestles with the hidden shadows of the human mind.

About the author:

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley was born in London in 1797, the daughter of well-known intellectuals. She married the poet Percy Bysshe Shelley in 1816 and spent much of her adulthood in continental Europe, surrounded by her friends in the English Romantic Movement. Her tumultuous life included the loss of three children in infancy and her husband’s death by drowning in 1822. Nevertheless, her contributions to English literature continue to fascinate and inspire readers and artists alike.

Three narratives in one, all of them exploring the unknown. The ship captain is pushing dangerously into the Arctic. Dr. Frankenstein makes a notable breakthrough, creating human life anew, but runs from the consequences. The creature, who creates his own education, and determines that he needs a mate.

This volume distinguishes the three narrative levels: the sea captain, Dr. Frankenstein, and the Creature. Backmatter material adds some information about the book and its author.
Victor Frankenstein is just a college student who wants to figure out the technical details of how life works. Obsessed with chasing this discovery, he creates something unthinkable. And then things all go wrong. Read a Gothic horror classic easily with this modern English translation. But don't worry about missing anything, because the original unedited 1831 version is here too, along with a scholarly essay.
The creature awakes,
Horrible yet innocent,
Abandonment scars.
(hillaryrose7)
It is dangerous,
To play God with life and death,
Horror the result.
(hillaryrose7)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,248,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible