Dracula [Norton Critical Edition]

by Bram Stoker, Nina Auerbach (Editor), David J. Skal (Editor)

A rich selection of background and source materials is provided in three areas: Contexts includes probable inspirations for Dracula in the earlier works of James Malcolm Rymer and Emily Gerard. Also included are a discussion of Stoker's working notes for the novel and "Dracula's Guest," the original opening chapter to Dracula. Reviews and Reactions reprints five early reviews of the novel. "Dramatic and Film Variations" focuses on theater and film adaptations of Dracula, two indications of the novel's unwavering appeal. David J. Skal, Gregory A. Waller, and Nina Auerbach offer their varied perspectives. Checklists of both dramatic and film adaptations are included. Criticism collects seven theoretical interpretations of Dracula by Phyllis A. Roth, Carol A. Senf, Franco Moretti, Christopher Craft, Bram Dijsktra, Stephen D. Arata, and Talia Schaffer. A Chronology and a Selected Bibliography are included.… (more)

English (118)  Spanish (1)  All languages (119)
Clásico, el estilo de escribir de Stoker es único. ( )
  Saraiest | Sep 17, 2021 |
Intriguing but frustrating

A beautiful start, atmospheric and gonzo in that lovely way that gothic fiction can be. But the novel circled repetitively in places, the pacing felt off (especially in later sections) and the ending was curiously flat. I did really enjoy Dracula himself and Mina Harker, though I almost wish it had stopped after Jonathan Harker's bit at the start and just been a short story. Or perhaps been a collection of tales about him. Is that an unpopular Dracula opinion? I really don't know. ( )
  Sunyidean | Sep 7, 2021 |
Remember reading this late at night to wait up to watch a FIFA final. Oh boy really got the chills!! ( )
  deepatarak | Jun 29, 2021 |
I don't remember the first time i had heard about Dracula, i only remember that it was in my childhood and that he was supposed to be this terrifying monster, too hardcore for kids, hence no Dracula books for me, even when i would beg my parents to buy one whenever i saw one in the bookstore.

I dove into the book, expecting it to be a horror story, but too much time has passed since it was written, and it clearly doesn't scare at all now. The scariest part was one when they "kill" Lucy for good, but other than that, a vampire turning into bat, and flying around in nights and drinking blood of beauties has become too cliched, but still i enjoyed it, it's just that it wasn't scary at all. I wish i could tell my childhood self this thing, because i used to think that Goosebumps and Dracula are the Pinnacle of horror fiction, and i didn't get to read either as a child, although i now that I've read them, know that nothing can be compared with M.R. James. ( )
  Sebuktegin | May 25, 2021 |

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Auerbach, NinaEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Skal, David J.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Contains

Do Not Combine: This is a "Norton Critical Edition", it is a unique work with significant added material, including essays and background materials. Do not combine with other editions of the work. Please maintain the phrase "Norton Critical Edition" in the Canonical Title and Publisher Series fields.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,267,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible