Seven Masterpieces of Gothic Horror (1963)

by Robert Donald Spector (Editor)

Other authors: Nathaniel Hawthorne (Contributor), Sheridan Le Fanu (Contributor), Matthew Gregory Lewis (Contributor), Edgar Allan Poe (Contributor), Clara Reeve (Contributor)2 more, Mary Shelley (Contributor), Horace Walpole (Contributor)

829 Seven Masterpieces of Gothic Horror: The Castle of Otranto, by Horace Walpole; The Old English Baron, by Clara Reeve; Mistrust or Blanche and Osbright, by Matthew Gregory Lewis; The Heir of Mondolfo, by Mary Shelley; The White Old Maid, by Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Fall of the House of Usher, by Edgar Allan Poe; Carmilla, by Sheridan LeFanu, edited by Robert Donald Spector (read __ Nov 1965) I found this volume an ideal introduction to an old interest of mine: the Gothic novel. Appropriately, it starts with the story I have long sought to begin said introduction with: Walpole's Castle of Otranto. It is a surprisingly fast-paced story, but really "primitive" in the way it tells a story. Next a story by Clara Reeve. which is interest-sustaining, but palls beside Lewis' intensely Germanic blood and guts terror story: Mistrust. A work by Mary Shelley is next--well-done, if slight: The Heir of Mondolfo. A short story by Hawthorne and Poe's Fall of the House of Usher require no comment. But the seventh: LeFanu's Camilla, a vampire story, really caught me up. Really much more intriguing than Dracula, because not over-done. I found it absorbing till I was done. I am afraid I will have to read more on the Gothic. ( )
  Schmerguls | Sep 5, 2010 |

• The White Old Maid by Nathaniel Hawthorne,
  • The Heir of Mondolfo by Mary Shelley,
  • The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe, and
  • Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,550,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible