The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde…

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

Other authors: Edward A. Wilson (Illustrator)

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (chrisharpe, lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness could be paired with Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray or The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. In all three novels the authors depict the struggle of people against the forces of evil.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (SanctiSpiritus)
    The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another great Victorian horror novel.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Hollerama)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (chrisharpe)
    Mary Reilly by Valerie Martin (VictoriaPL)
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (Sylak)
    Sylak: Delving the depths of human savagery and corruption.
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (Hollerama)
    The Face of Another by Kōbō Abe (lilisin)
    lilisin: Very different stylistically but these books cover the same theme. However, Abe goes into much more detail about the repercussions that comes with letting your other side get the best of you.
    Society of Mind by Marvin Minsky (bertilak)
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (roby72)
    Alicia's Ghost by Nick Iuppa (weelinda)
    weelinda: this book was a wonderful book to read and now I have read all the books in this series well the two of them but they are very very good and will be reading the third one soon
Unread books (1,085)

English (161)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Danish (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (183)
A classic always worthy of a revisiting in the classroom! Not just a "monster tale" but a very relevant look at deep seated philosophical problems of identity and accountability. Also continues to remain relevant on the topics of ethics, or morality and the role science does or does not play in the midst of such concerns. Is modern life becoming too fast paced? That first and foremost depends on your definition of living, really. ( )
  Davis22 | May 11, 2016 |
Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
I can't believe how short this book is. I felt like I was reading a pamphlet. Because it was so short, I thought I'd be able to finish it in no time, but I still struggled to get through it. I absolutely love the musical, but the book wasn't that interesting to me. The subject matter—the dual nature of man—will forever fascinate mankind, but the book was written in such a way that distanced me from the story. I'm glad modern readers can make cinematic masterpieces out of the classics; otherwise, I would never be able to appreciate them because the writing takes away from the story and message of the books. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
This book and story was almost perfect! It is a great read and I highly recommend it to everyone. Parents with teenage children should encourage thier child to read this type of literature.

I assume, we all know the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr, Hyde. I myself had forgotten the perspective that it was told from and going back to this tome was a refreshing read. The language used was exquisite but I feel (and this is where one star is lost)that the sign of the times are catching up to this book and the younger generation will have lost something in the meanings and descriptions of characters and events that they can not relate to. Otherwise, I consider this story timeless.

The story of the battle between good and evil is as old as the concept of good and evil itself. Robert Louis Sevenson (RLS) was one of the earliest pioneers to take the battle within oneself, hence the question, do each of us have a Mr. Edward Hyde within? The prose is elegant and the story takes place in a more innocent time than that which we have today. This, I felt, made reading this book refreshing. I had forgotten the age of gentlemen and proper protocol. It felt good to step back through time.

As I had stated previously, it was good to get back to the original. Many stories of modern day are variations of this tale. The dual nature of the modern day super hero Batman (one of my favorites) can be derived from this classic tale. All in the search to define good, and its antithesis, "evil". Although, I felt that RLS was only scratching the surface of good and evil. We all have a self concept of what pure good would be. This is reflected in the spiritual way we conduct ourselves and the different denominations of worship there are worldwide, yet we do not (in my opinion) have a clearly defined notion of what pure "evil" is. It seems that mankind is not ready to accept the concept of this balance. Yet, please realize that it is "evil" that we are drawn to in the story to see what happens next. Yet here, in RLS' attempt to achieve pure evil in the characterization of Edward Hyde, the author has his character flawed. Edward Hyde makes mistakes and ultimately does not reason, which brings about the demise of both himself and Dr. Jekyll.

Again, this was a very entertaining read. I had forgotten that the perspective told was not of that of Dr. Jekyll or even Mr. Hyde but that of their lawyer, Mr. Utterson. The way all the pieces started fitting together is so simplistic, again, it was refreshing. RLS did not have to go into elaborate description to set up the plot of the book to move the story along. ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
Upon reading the original Jekyll and Hyde, it strikes me how distorted Stevenson's vision has ended up in adaptations in popular culture. We are all I think, aware of the story, Jekyll takes a chemical that brings out his other self, Mr Hyde; however unlike further adaptations would have you believe, Hyde is not inherently evil, nor is he a hulking, imposing figure. Jekyll and Hyde is in fact a clever critique of the self enforced repression of the Victorian middle and upper classes. Jekyll is the thin veneer of the polite gentleman, while Hyde is an embodiment of the repressed urges of Jekyll, neither evil or good. Truly a remarkable tale with hidden meaning. As a critique of the upper classes, it is no wonder that it was not recognised for its literary merit until well after the Victorian period. ( )
  hickey92 | Jan 24, 2016 |

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Nineteen Other Tales by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / The Suicide Club by Robert Louis Stevenson

Frankenstein | Dracula | Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Mary Shelley

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / The Secret Sharer / Transformation: Three Tales of Doubles by Susan J. Wolfson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde [Norton Critical Edition] by Robert Louis Stevenson

Frankenstein, Drácula, O médico e o monstro by Coletivo

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Weir of Hermiston by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with The Merry Men and Other Tales and Fables by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories (Vintage Classics) by Robert Louis Stevenson

Classic horror omnibus. Vol.1, Five classic novels of terror by Peter Haining

Treasury Of Gothic & Supernatural by Bruce T. Smyth

Novels of Mystery from the Victorian Age by Maurice Richardson

Modern Mystery and Adventure Novels: Portrait of Jennie; Jamaica Inn; The Thirty-Nine Steps; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Re by Robert Nathan

Robert Louis Stevenson: Four Complete Novels by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Bottle Imp And Other Stories by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror by Robert Louis Stevenson

Selected writings of Robert Louis Stevenson by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson in One Volume by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson by Robert Louis Stevenson

Seven Novels by Robert Louis Stevenson

Black Arrow / Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Kidnapped / Master of Ballantrae / Treasure Island / Weir of Hermiston by Robert Louis Stevenson

"The pavilion on the links". "The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and other stories, essays, poems by Robert Louis Stevenson

Penny Dreadful Multipack Vol. 3 by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Great Short Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Oxford Library of Short Novels Volume I: Goethe to Stevenson by John Wain

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

It's ill to loose the bands that God decreed to bind;
Still will we be the children of the heather and the wind,
Far away from home, O it's still for you and me
That the broom is blowing bonnie in the north countrie.
To Katharine De Mattos
Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance that was never lighted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable.
With every day, and from both sides of my intelligence, the moral and the intellectual, I thus drew steadily nearer to that truth by whose partial discovery I have been doomed to such a dreadful shipwreck: that man is not truly one, but truly two. I say two, because the state of my own knowledge does not pass beyond that point. Others will follow, others will outstrip me on the same lines; and I hazard the guess that man will be ultimately known for a mere polity of multifarious, incongruous and independent denizens.
This is the single story work. Please do not combine with other story collections or with abridged versions.

This book is in public domain in the USA and the e-book is available free online ...

When a brute of a man tramples an innocent girl, apparently out of spite, two bystanders catch the fellow and force him to pay reparations to the girl's family. The brute's name is Edward Hyde.

A respected lawyer, Utterson, hears this story and begins to unravel the seemingly manic behavior of his best friend, Dr. Henry Jekyll, and his connection with Hyde. Several months earlier, Utterson had drawn up an inexplicable will for the doctor, naming Hyde as his heir in the event that he disappears. Fearing his friend has been blackmailed into this arrangement, Utterson probes deeper into both Jekyll and his unlikely protégé. He is increasingly unnerved at each new revelation.

In a forerunner of psychological dramas to come, Stevenson uses Hyde to show that we are both repulsed by and attracted to the darker side of life, particularly when we can experience it in anonymity.

What's in this test tube?
I don't know. Should I drink it?
Sure, what could go wrong?
(Carnophile)
A mad scientist
divides himself in two parts.
He’s both good and bad.
(marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451528956, Mass Market Paperback)

The young Robert Louis Stevenson suffered from repeated nightmares of living a double life, in which by day he worked as a respectable doctor and by night he roamed the back alleys of old-town Edinburgh. In three days of furious writing, he produced a story about his dream existence. His wife found it too gruesome, so he promptly burned the manuscript. In another three days, he wrote it again. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was published as a "shilling shocker" in 1886, and became an instant classic. In the first six months, 40,000 copies were sold. Queen Victoria read it. Sermons and editorials were written about it. When Stevenson and his family visited America a year later, they were mobbed by reporters at the dock in New York City. Compulsively readable from its opening pages, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is still one of the best tales ever written about the divided self.

This University of Nebraska Press edition is a small, exquisitely produced paperback. The book design, based on the original first edition of 1886, includes wide margins, decorative capitals on the title page and first page of each chapter, and a clean, readable font that is 19th-century in style. Joyce Carol Oates contributes a foreword in which she calls Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde a "mythopoetic figure" like Frankenstein, Dracula, and Alice in Wonderland, and compares Stevenson's creation to doubled selves in the works of Plato, Poe, Wilde, and Dickens.

This edition also features 12 full-page wood engravings by renowned illustrator Barry Moser. Moser is a skillful reader and interpreter as well as artist, and his afterword to the book, in which he explains the process by which he chose a self-portrait motif for the suite of engravings, is fascinating. For the image of Edward Hyde, he writes, "I went so far as to have my dentist fit me out with a carefully sculpted prosthetic of evil-looking teeth. But in the final moments I had to abandon the idea as being inappropriate. It was more important to stay in keeping with the text and, like Stevenson, not show Hyde's face." (Also recommended: the edition of Frankenstein illustrated by Barry Moser) --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:11 -0400)

In a classic story of good and evil, a gentle doctor's experiment into the duality of the soul goes awry and he is transformed into a hideous monster at night.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528956, 0141023589, 0451532252, 0141389508

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,907,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible