Steppenwolf (1927)

by Hermann Hesse

Harry Haller is a sad and lonely figure, a reclusive intellectual for whom life holds no joy. He struggles to reconcile the wild primeval wolf and the rational man within himself without surrendering to the bourgeois values he despises. His life changes dramatically when he meets a woman who is his opposite, the carefree and elusive Hermine.… (more)
    Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse (PandorasRequiem)
    Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: The protagonist in Nausea has a very similar personality to the protagonist in Steppenwolf. Both books have that same gloomy feel to them.
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (snipermatze, chwiggy)
    The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    Herzog by Saul Bellow (roby72)
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (owen1218)
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Fight Club could be read as an updated rewriting of Steppenwolf, with Hermine replaced by Tyler Durden, and the dance hall transformed to the fight club. Maria becomes Marla, and the Magic Theater becomes Operation Mayhem.
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (caflores)
    The Hothouse by Wolfgang Koeppen (Liondancer)
    Liondancer: Die Persönlichkeit des "Treibhaus"-Abgeordneten Keetenheuve erinnert mich sehr an den "Steppenwolf" Harry Haller.
    Abel Sánchez by Miguel de Unamuno (Neurasthenio)
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (Smiler69)
    The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (roby72)

English (135)  Spanish (15)  German (6)  French (5)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Greek (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (171)
De los más importantes de mi adolescencia ( )
  Alvaritogn | Jul 1, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 25, 2022 |
4/26/22
  laplantelibrary | Apr 26, 2022 |
I am glad I chose a shorter Hermann Hesse work. This book had some good moments but really wasn't my thing. It was not that the events were too bizarre or distasteful but rather that they had too much conviction behind them. I constantly felt that Hesse was trying to convince me that he was describing the way the world really worked. "For mad men only. Not for everyone" might has well have been a red pill and the rest of the boring normies can go on in their blue pill world.

Feel free to convince me that I should read [b:Siddhartha|52036|Siddhartha|Hermann Hesse|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1629378189l/52036._SY75_.jpg|4840290] or [b:The Glass Bead Game|16634|The Glass Bead Game|Hermann Hesse|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1386922806l/16634._SX50_.jpg|2959456], but I am otherwise unlikely to attempt them. ( )
  mjduigou | Feb 27, 2022 |
This book is a mirror of the inner lives of many men I've known, including myself when I'm in a certain mood. I've read it more than once. Herman Hesse was something very special. ( )
  CodyMaxwellBooks | Oct 30, 2021 |
'Wat me nu opviel bij herlezing na dertig jaar was die durf van Hesse om alle registers open te trekken. Niet alleen stilistisch en structureel, maar ook door de meerdere lagen die op literair, psychologisch, seksueel, geschiedkundig en filosofisch vlak elkaar aanvullen en soms met elkaar contrasteren.'

Hesse, HermannAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Попова, НедялкаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

This book contains the records left us by a man whom, according to the expression he often used himself, we called the Steppenwolf.
Ah, Harry, we have to stumble through so much dirt and humbug before we reach home. And we have no one to guide us. Our only guide is our homesickness.
I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118289X, 0141045531, 0241951526, 0141192097

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,877,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible