Fight Club (1996)

by Chuck Palahniuk

Series: Fight Club (1)

17,119282215 (4.08)213
The rise of a terrorist organization, led by a waiter who enjoys spitting in people's soup. He starts a fighting club, where men bash each other, and the club quickly gains in popularity. It becomes the springboard for a movement devoted to destruction for destruction's sake.
    American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Fight Club could be read as an updated rewriting of Steppenwolf, with Hermine replaced by Tyler Durden, and the dance hall transformed to the fight club. Maria becomes Marla, and the Magic Theater becomes Operation Mayhem.
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (arthurfrayn)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Sylak)
    Sylak: A man unwittingly becomes involved in a surreal underworld parallel to his own.
    The Seven Madmen by Roberto Arlt (CarlosMcRey)
    CarlosMcRey: Like Palahniuk's Joe, Arlt's Remo Erdosain seeks salvation through depravity and self-destruction in the midst of an urban wasteland.
    Mr. Overby Is Falling by Nathan Tyree (catdog2)
    catdog2: similar themes
    Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (Ti99er)
    Ghosted by Shaughnessy Bishop-Stall (Liffey)
    The Nightly News by Jonathan Hickman (FFortuna)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (keristars)
    keristars: Palahniuk says in an afterword that Fight Club was intended to be similar to the Great Gatsby. In a way, it really is - there's a similar mood and sort of feeling of despair at modern society, though the Great Gatsby was written and occurs seventy years before Fight Club. The relationships between the primary three characters in each novel are also similar.… (more)

English (271)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (283)
I'm a huge fan of the movie that is based on this book so I was a little apprehensive going into this one. I hoped it would live up to my expectations based on the movie but at the same time I didn't want it to make me like the movie any less. I was initially surprised at how small the book is, while I didn't expect a huge tome I thought it would be a little bigger than it is (220 Pg).

I shouldn't have been worried. As it turned out I love the book as much as I do the movie. I was unsure as to how I would like Palahniuk's style as it seems to be a bit marmite with people. It's pretty much perfect for my type of reading. I prefer economy of words instead of long drawn out descriptions. The style really fits well with the story and I can see why it leant itself to a screenplay so well.

One thing that has to taken into consideration after seeing the movie is that forever in my head the characters are the ones I saw in the movie and not a combination of my imagination and the book. The casting was pretty much spot on so its a help in my opinion. I really love this book and would reccomend it to everyone. ( )
  Brian. | Jun 16, 2021 |
Seriously could not get enough of the movie. But, reading the book, I have NO idea how they were able to make a movie from this. It's wandering, disjointed, and self-absorbed as a book. I wish I had quit instead of wasting precious reading time finishing this one. ( )
  KarateNurseMary | Jun 7, 2021 |
Great read, particularly if you've fought jiu-jitsu or MMA before: you'll understand better than most people the immense joy and relief and high that follows a fight, regardless of whether you beat the crap out of the other guy or he beat the crap out of you or both. ( )
  marzagao | Jun 1, 2021 |
Fight Club is my favorite movie. The book was all over the place — like the movie. Somehow the format fit the screen better for me. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
I liked this book a lot. Quite a lot. I think I'd like to read it again after I think about it some more. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
A volatile, brilliantly creepy satire filled with esoteric tips for causing destruction, Fight Club marks Chuck Palahniuk's debut as a novelist. Ever wonder how to pollute a plumbing system with red dye, or inject an ATM machine with axle grease or vanilla pudding? Along with instructions for executing such quirky acts of urban terrorism, Fight Club offers diabolically sharp and funny writing.

This brilliant bit of nihilism succeeds where so many self-described transgressive novels do not: It's dangerous because it's so compelling.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews

Every generation frightens and unnerves its parents, and Palahniuk's first novel is gen X's most articulate assault yet on baby-boomer sensibilities. This is a dark and disturbing book that dials directly into youthful angst and will likely horrify the parents of teens and twentysomethings. It's also a powerful, and possibly brilliant, first novel.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Thomas Gaughan

Caustic, outrageous, bleakly funny, violent and always unsettling, Palahniuk's utterly original creation will make even the most jaded reader sit up and take notice.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

Chuck Palahniukprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boomsma, GraaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colby, JamesReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Carol Meader, who puts up with all my bad behavior.
Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die.
1. You don't talk about fight club.

2. You don't talk about fight club.

3. When someone says stop, or goes limp, even if he's just faking it, the fight is over.

4. Only two guys to a fight.

5. One fight at a time.

6. They fight without shirts or shoes.

7. The fights go on as long as they have to.

8. If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

– Fight Club, pages 48–50

"Don't think of it as extinction. Think of it as downsizing."
It was that morning that Tyler Durden invented Project Mayhem.
This is the novel, not the film or screenplay.

Many fight club rules.
Do not talk about fight club.
Wait... who is Tyler?
(hiddenpunk)
Where's Tyler Durden?
Every time I turn around
Seems he has just left.
(Carnophile)

4 1917

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393327345, 0393039765

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,174,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible