A Doll's House (1879)

by Henrik Ibsen

Nora Helmer has everything a young housewife could want: beautiful children, an adoring husband, and a bright future. But when a carelessly buried secret rises fromn the past, Nora's well-calibrated domestic ideal starts to crumble.

English (69)  Spanish (3)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (81)
Thought I'd try reading a play since they tend to be mostly dialogue and very short. My concentration is just not what it used to be now that there's a global pandemic happening... A Doll's House must have been groundbreaking in the time it was written, especially since it was written by a man, but not that interesting by today's standards. However, the patronization of women is still an issue, so it's relevant in that way. ( )
  SarahMac314 | Aug 12, 2022 |
Read it in class. Absolute trash. You mean to tell me a crazy, naive, idiotic woman suddenly has an epiphany regarding her shitty life and leaves her husband? Yeah, no. Not only was this poorly written but completely unheard of during that time. People back then hated it and people know praise it as being ahead of its time. I call it trash. ( )
  Koralis | Jul 12, 2022 |
I've been meaning to read this ever since I finished Miss Julie, that beautifully written atrocity of Strindberg. To have an empowered female protagonist in a 20th century Naturalist play is out of ordinary, and Ibsen's plays are just that extraordinary. Like Torvald the husband, almost all of the dramatists of 1900s lobbed all women into the same category, ascribing to them personalities so diverse, that they could've been condensed to just one inconsequential character that nudges the hero's path.

I've never really identified with the utter breakdown of a person described in books, but I saw myself in Nora. Silently going through life liking everything your father likes, and then your lover, afraid of disagreeing, afraid of holding a different opinion, going silently through personal hell for them, only to come out and discover that that reciprocation will never come. Nora holds out till her final breakdown. She silently prepares herself for the worst, hoping it would never materialise because they would surely come through for you. And then one desperate moment you realise that you're utterly utterly mistaken.

Walking out has always been hard, you know you'll be labelled as the immoral, inhuman wretch by society. I don't know if Nora ever explained her decisions to the world, and if she did, was it all in vain?

Note:
In this review I've often drifted from Nora's pov to mine. It is grammatically inconsistent, and I realised that when I proofread before hitting send. But I've decided to let it stay as it is. This kind of representation in literature is hard to come by. Oh to discover their pain in yours... ( )
  Toshi_P | May 6, 2022 |
4/20/22
  laplantelibrary | Apr 20, 2022 |
Drama “Shtepi kukulle” u shkrua me 1879 dhe pati si pikenisje nje fakt nga jeta reale. Ibsen duke zbuluar nderlikimet dhe kundershtite e jetes, i shtrengoi shikuesit te hiqnin dore nga ndarja tradicionale e heronjve pozitive dhe negative, por ti pranoje ata ashtu sic jane ne teresine e tyre te nderlikuar, me te gjitha mosperputhjet. Teatri i Ibsen shquhet per vertetesine e karaktereve dhe te detajit artistik, per thellesine e trajtimit te argumentit dhe per nje game te gjere tematike. Ne kompozicionin e Ibsen rolin me te rendesishem e luan misteri dhe ngjarja.
  BibliotekaFeniks | Dec 21, 2021 |

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Hide the Christmas Tree carefully, Helen. Be sure the children do not see it till this evening, when it is dressed.
The original Norwegian title was “Et dukkehjem”.
DO NOT combine with editions which include other works.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,329,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible