dismiss

Wide Sargasso Sea (1966)

by Jean Rhys

6,840199955 (3.56)699
The fortieth anniversary reissue of the best-selling "tour de force" (Walter Allen, New York Times Book Review).
Recently added byeujh, dwalkup, miss_w, kellymlivingstone, naratemari, Sam_Lawson, Jhandel, jocelynelise_, private library
Legacy LibrariesGraham Greene
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (aces)
    The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imagination by Sandra M. Gilbert (Imprinted)
    Near to the Wild Heart by Clarice Lispector (Petroglyph)
    Petroglyph: Even though Near to the wild heart was written some twenty years prior to Wide Sargasso Sea, these two share numerous features: the interior monologue, the lyricism, the heroine mostly living inside her skull, the central character who doesn’t see a way out of their mental frustrations with life. Lispector kicked all that up a few notches, but to me these two belong close together on my mental shelves.… (more)
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (Philosofiction)
    Grendel by John Gardner (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Classics retold to give voice to silent characters important to their plots.
    After Mrs Rochester by Polly Teale (srdr)
    srdr: This brilliant drama illuminates the themes that run through Jean Rhys's life, Wide Sargasso Sea, and Jane Eyre.
    March by Geraldine Brooks (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Classic stories (Little Women/Jane Eyre) re-imagined through the experiences of characters who are important to the plot while being almost entirely unseen.
    Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: colonialisme
    Tell My Horse: Voodoo and Life in Haiti and Jamaica by Zora Neale Hurston (cammykitty)
    Bug-Jargal by Victor Hugo (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Bug-Jargal décrit une société antillaise basée sur l'exploitation des esclaves qui éclate lorsque ces derniers se rebellent. La prisonnière des Sargasses décrit une société analogue après la rébellion.
    Blessed Is the Fruit: A Novel by Robert Antoni (IsolaBlue)
    Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry (GlebtheDancer)
    GlebtheDancer: Dark, foreboding, claustrophobic feel. Self-destruction of central character. Similar prose styles.
    Signed, Mata Hari: A Novel by Yannick Murphy (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Lush depiction of tropics with natives playing important roles, women "bought" and tragic endings
1960s (23)

English (190)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (196)
Finally read this after hearing about it for years. She sure packed a lot into a short novel. ( )
  nmele | Jul 21, 2020 |
I honestly do not know why this is considered a classic. The main thing I liked about this was its length and the ending, which tied it to Jane Eyre. I did not like the characterization or the writing. I had to reread passages to know what is happening, who is saying what, and whether it was real or a dream sequence. Both characters seemed to be going crazy and it was not clear why. But the author seems to be also making the point that Antoinette was not crazy but was like that because of how she is treated. But then with the dream sequences... So which is it? I did not recognize the monster that Rochester was in this. I did not like Antoinette either. I have to give credit to the author that she made a strong point about the lack of choices or power for women during that time. But that is about it. I would have given up on this if I hadn't owned a physical copy of it. ( )
  twinkley | Jul 2, 2020 |
Life in paradise
instant wealth, beautiful wife
eager to lash out. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
I really really enjoyed this - it was such an interesting perspective and really added to my understanding of what went on in the West Indies in the 19th century. This is an annotated edition and even though I read all the annotations, I still feel like so much went over my head - off to do some more research! ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |

Dorsman-Vos, W.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mooney, BelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, AngelaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyndham, FrancisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They say when trouble comes close ranks, and so the white people did.
'If you are buried under a flamboyant tree,' I said, 'your soul is lifted up when it flowers. Everyone wants that.'
The saints we hear about were all very beautiful and wealthy. All were loved by rich and handsome young men.
Reality might disconcert her, bewilder her, hurt her, but it would not be reality. It would be only a mistake, a misfortune, a wrong path taken, her fixed ideas would never change.
'So between you I often wonder who I am and where is my country and where do I belong and why was I ever born at all.'
'You can pretend for a long time, but one day it all falls away and you are alone.'

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182857, 0241951550

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,297,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible