Jane Eyre (1847)

by Charlotte Brontë

50,16680918 (4.22)6 / 2826
In early nineteenth-century England, an orphaned young woman accepts employment as a governess and soon finds herself in love with her employer who has a terrible secret.
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces, JenniferLivingstone)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    Jane, the Fox, and Me by Fanny Britt (JenniferLivingstone)
    JenniferLivingstone: If you're a fan of Jane Eyre, you might enjoy the children's book Jane, the Fox, and Me. It's a sweet story about a young girl who has trouble with bullying and self-esteem - and who is able to find comfort from the book Jane Eyre. Highly, highly recommended.… (more)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life by Lyndall Gordon (MissBrangwen)

1840s (4)
Europe (272)
Romans (11)

English (763)  Spanish (14)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  Italian (4)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (809)
This book made me really sad, I hate all the men in this book especially Rochester ( )
  jooniper | Sep 10, 2021 |
I enjoyed listening to this book. It's very well written, has a moral storyline and just a interesting love story. I did not know this was going to have the theme of religion so prevelent in the book, so I wasn't prepared for that. ( )
  aladyinredpolish | Aug 24, 2021 |
i loved reading this more than i ever thought i would! i’m sure i’ll read it again sometime in the future; jane and rochester have my heart over elizabeth and darcy by leaps and bounds!! ( )
  beethovensfruit | Aug 21, 2021 |
Yay, off to watch the movie! ( )
  ntwillow | Aug 17, 2021 |
Boring, gave up after 90 pages ( )
  wordloversf | Aug 14, 2021 |

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
Preface
A preface to the first edition of 'Jane Eyre' being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question—why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of—I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement.
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.

Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.
historia de amor
She's poor and orphaned
But educated and proud
Boss gets all fired up.
(pickupsticks)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Charlotte Brontë's book Jane Eyre (Readable Classics) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,196,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible