dismiss

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Jane Eyre (1847)

by Charlotte Brontë

46,95174917 (4.23)7 / 2748
In early nineteenth-century England, an orphaned young woman accepts employment as a governess and soon finds herself in love with her employer who has a terrible secret.
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces, JenniferLivingstone)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    Jane, the Fox, and Me by Fanny Britt (JenniferLivingstone)
    JenniferLivingstone: If you're a fan of Jane Eyre, you might enjoy the children's book Jane, the Fox, and Me. It's a sweet story about a young girl who has trouble with bullying and self-esteem - and who is able to find comfort from the book Jane Eyre. Highly, highly recommended.… (more)
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life by Lyndall Gordon (MissBrangwen)

Europe (266)
Romans (11)
1840s (1)

English (707)  Spanish (13)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (749)

[Reviewed as part of The Illustrated Book Club. Contains some mild spoilers]

[SPOILERS!]

I'd never read this before, and I'd assumed it would be similar in feel to Wuthering Heights - which I'd enjoyed, at the time I read it (an A level student). And this definitely has some elements in common, most notably the gothic feel of the house, the hint at the supernatural, the romantic wastes of the moors, and the obvious parallel between Rochester and Heathcliff (both Bohemian anti-heroes, to an extent).

Regarding the supernatural element, I think I'd have definitely interpreted the woman in the attic in that way - that is, if my first reading hadn't been spoiled by foreknowledge (something I read recently said that Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde was perhaps the worst kept secret in classic literature, but this has to be a close second!).

I found the characters incredibly well-drawn. Jane is quite fascinating: she's pulled in different directions - her sense of duty and propriety versus her desires; she's also stubborn and principled. Rochester too is interesting, and while from one point of view (regarding his treatment of his first wife - and there's a good line of feminist critique in this regard), he's certainly a fascinating and three-dimensional character.

I also struggled with it at times. Some of the description is quite laboured, I think - perhaps that's just my taste, or else a change in literary trends. But overall I enjoyed it.

Gareth Southwell is a philosopher, writer and illustrator.
  Gareth.Southwell | May 23, 2020 |
An enjoyable read, and though I look at some aspects of it and consider them dated, they still aged well. I didn't love this book as a new favorite, but I did like it.

I think I'm glad I read this now, as a grown adult instead of as a teenager. As I was comparing my thoughts to those of some of my friends on Goodreads, I saw comments about how the expectation of this book is that it's a love story... yet it is so much more. Yes, there is a love story. Yes, if you know anything about the love stories from this time period you can guess at most (if not all) of the plot twists. But, there is more depth to Jane's character than I had expected from this book, and I really appreciate that. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Nach einer entbehrungsreichen Jugend im Waisenhaus tritt die 18-jährige Jane Eyre eine Stelle als Gouvernante auf dem entlegenen Landsitz Thornfield Hall an. Mr. Rochester, Herr des Hauses, ist ein knorriger und verschlossener Mann. Dennoch entbrennt Jane in stürmischer Liebe zu ihm. Er aber scheint eine andere zu lieben. Außerdem gehen auf dem Anwesen in der wilden Moorlandschaft unheimliche Dinge vor sich...
  Fredo68 | May 18, 2020 |
I read this book for school. It is awful. Jane is odd and the men are odder. Can it just be taken off the classics list. Nobody cares about it. ( )
  Wanda-Gambling | May 9, 2020 |
Does it get better every time? ( )
  the_lirazel | Apr 6, 2020 |

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
Preface
A preface to the first edition of 'Jane Eyre' being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question—why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of—I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement.
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.

Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.
historia de amor
She's poor and orphaned
But educated and proud
Boss gets all fired up.
(pickupsticks)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Charlotte Brontë's book Jane Eyre (Readable Classics) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,235,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible