Jane Eyre (1847)

by Charlotte Brontë

53,27485118 (4.22)6 / 2911
In early nineteenth-century England, an orphaned young woman accepts employment as a governess and soon finds herself in love with her employer who has a terrible secret.
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces, JenniferLivingstone)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    Jane, the Fox, and Me by Fanny Britt (JenniferLivingstone)
    JenniferLivingstone: If you're a fan of Jane Eyre, you might enjoy the children's book Jane, the Fox, and Me. It's a sweet story about a young girl who has trouble with bullying and self-esteem - and who is able to find comfort from the book Jane Eyre. Highly, highly recommended.… (more)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life by Lyndall Gordon (MissBrangwen)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre

Europe (12)
1840s (4)
Romans (11)

English (799)  Spanish (14)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  Italian (4)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Slovak (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (847)
After a long time, I have come across such a book that had left me so content and satisfied. The story was well thought. It was composed in the 19th century, so it is written in old English, I believe and that has made this book even a more beautiful composition. This book is a piece of genius mind. It truly portrays the life of an independent woman.
  sarawaseem12 | Sep 13, 2022 |
OK I am glad I delayed on writing a review for this, because I read a tweet today that sums up all of my latent thoughts and feelings perfectly. spoilers ahead:

ladies, if he:

- tells you your mind is his treasure
- is twice your age
- is not handsome
- disguises himself as a gypsy to discover your true thoughts and feelings
- has a secret in the attic

he's not your man. he's bertha's man and you should sleep with one eye open

I basically only read this so I could read The Wide Sargasso Sea, a feminist retelling (basically my life calling is reading feminist retellings) from Bertha's POV. So, I did. I read it. I want to give it 2 stars but I don't want to look ignorant. Let's call it 2.5. ( )
  graceandbenji | Sep 1, 2022 |
Jane Eyre is one of those books everyone says you have to read one day, often mentioned in one breath along with classics like Pride and Prejudice or Wuthering Heights, and I agree. This is an important novel about female independence, the development into an adult human being and the search for one's true destination in juxtaposition with traditional ideals and guidelines.

But not only is it an important novel: Charlotte Brontë managed to include elements of humor, romance, gothic fiction and even a little mystery in her story, allowing it to address not only one specific target audience. Even if this book is not part of everyone's reading interests, it is a novel which will make you think about certain aspects (like the aforementioned themes), and maybe it will even make you feel close to Jane Eyre, the main character, and become interested in the story of her fateful life.

Almost everyone will probably know what this book is about, but in case you don't, Charlotte Brontë introduces us to Jane Eyre who grows in an unhappy childhood with her aunt, later endures cruelty and her first introduction to the life outside of her own family at a charity school, and finally begins to live her own life when she starts to work as a governess for Mr. Edward Rochester. Even though the book may sound melodramatic in its outline, I personally think that it was the emphasis on the emotions each of the characters went through which allowed it to achieve its famous status. The novel is almost entirely character-driven for the majority of the story, making it easy to feel emotionally connected to Jane and her independent mind.

I had some smaller issues with the book, including the coincidence of Jane, out of all the houses she could have went into in the entirety of the United Kingdom, entering the home of her only relatives she has left in the country. I did need more than seven months to finish the novel, but that was mainly my own fault because I wasn't in the right mood for it for a long time and did ultimately read most of the novel in the course of a few days, which should generally not provide a problem because of the sophisticated, yet very readable language.

A true classic which can be recommended for all age groups and all kinds of readers, and which made me join the group of people who say everyone should read it one day. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
Jane Eyre is one of those books I thought I had read. I knew the story through movies, and I can safely say that no movie I've ever seen of this book did it justice. It is a book of its time and I think today's books which must get to the conflict of the story quickly and "keep the reader hooked" suffer from something this book has in abundance - time. Time to flesh out the story. Time to describe the setting. Time to develop the characters. Time to build the suspense. I loved the time Charlotte Bronte took to cultivate the language and enhance the scenes to their fullest. This is elegant writing at its finest. ( )
  DebCushman | Aug 25, 2022 |
This book turned out way better then I expected. How can one not love this book? The writing is perfect and the characters are classic. It gives us such a strong female character as well. I did like Wuthering Height better, but this one I thought flowed well and the easier to read. This clearly is a must read! ( )
  Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
Preface
A preface to the first edition of 'Jane Eyre' being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question—why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of—I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement.
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.

159027007X and 0192839659 are for the book, not films.

Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.
historia de amor
She's poor and orphaned
But educated and proud
Boss gets all fired up.
(pickupsticks)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,607,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible