dismiss

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Rebecca (1938)

by Daphne du Maurier

15,932485223 (4.22)3 / 1543
Everywhere Maxim de Winter's young and frightened second wife turns, there are memories of Rebecca, his first wife. Hard as she tries to live her own life with Maxim at Manderley, it seems that the memory of Rebecca is there to live it for her.
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (chrisharpe, fannyprice, ladybug74, HollyMS, lottpoet)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    HollyMS: Since Rebecca was published, observers have noticed that it has parallels to Jane Eyre. Both are dark stories about young women who marry wealthy Englishmen.
    lottpoet: I can see the bones of Jane Eyre in Rebecca
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier (HollyMS, EllieH)
    HollyMS: Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel has a similar theme as Rebecca.
    Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier (katie4098)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (citygirl)
    The Scapegoat by Daphne Du Maurier (lois1)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (starfishian)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (kiwiflowa, lahochstetler)
    Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore (Sylak)
    Sylak: Another saga set against a hauntingly beautiful landscape - but this time its in Exmoor.
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (teelgee)
    Don't Look Now by Daphne Du Maurier (Z-Ryan, cometahalley)
    Thornyhold by Mary Stewart (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Although I believe that du Maurier was the better writer, Thornyhold and many others by Mary Stewart give the same suspenseful feeling.
    Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt (kraaivrouw, FutureMrsJoshGroban, Headinherbooks_27)
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (DaraBrooke)
    Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust (bjappleg8)
    bjappleg8: first person narrative; ambiguous supernatural elements; slow unravelling of a mystery in a historical British setting
    Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart (Headinherbooks_27)
    Vanishing Cornwall by Daphne du Maurier (Z-Ryan)
    Vera by Elizabeth von Arnim (bell7)
    A Sucessora by Carolina Nabuco (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: When Rebecca came out, there were accusations that Daphne du Maurier had plagiarized A sucessora (The Sucessor) by Brazilian author Carolina Nabuco. Read it and decide for yourself.
    Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy (WildMaggie)
    Bride of Pendorric by Victoria Holt (kraaivrouw, Headinherbooks_27)
    Headinherbooks_27: Very similar but the twist in Bride of Pendorric is better and more surprising.

1930s (4)
To Read (91)
My TBR (2)

English (466)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (485)
This is such an amazing book. I was surprised that I had not heard of the book sooner dues to its popularity; however, it is such a classic. Throughout the entire book I had a feeling that one thing would happen, but rather there was a different plot twist. Such an outstanding book. ( )
  drorange32 | May 22, 2020 |
Fiction, 1938, 1930s, British Fiction, 20th-Century Fiction, Mysteries, Classics, Seen the Movie, Gothic
  selfcallednowhere | May 22, 2020 |
A lot of readers with similar tastes enjoyed this book, so I knew I'd want to read Rebecca at some point. I went into it without knowing much about it, and I didn't even read the back cover. I'll be general with my review so not to spoil anything.

This is a slow burn, kinda creepy, kinda psychological thriller with some romance. We go deep into the main character's thoughts (told in the 1st person).

So much to discuss -- definitely suggest doing this as a group or buddy read.

Masterfully written. 9/10 ( )
  kaciereads | Apr 9, 2020 |
My favorite book of all time. I love, love, love it! ( )
  Crystal423 | Mar 23, 2020 |
I haven't read this classic since high school. When I saw this audio book come up for free a month or two ago, I decided to give the story a listen and I'm glad I did.

The story was excellent, which is about all I remembered of it. What really knocked my socks off this time around was the narration by Anna Massey. She was flat out awesome in performing this tale. She was not just reading, she made it come alive.

There isn't much more I can say about this story that hasn't already been said. It was even better than I remembered it!

If you're considering reading this and you enjoy audio books, I highly recommend the audio edition. ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |

Scalero, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schab, Karin vonÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stibolt, HelenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vasara, HelviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
'You see,' she said, snapping the top, and walking down the stairs, 'you are so very different from Rebecca.'
We came to Manderley in early May, arriving, so Maxim said, with the first swallows and the bluebells. It would be the best moment, before the full flush of summer, and in the valley the azaleas would be prodigal of scent and the blood-red rhododendrons in bloom.
Forget it, Mrs. de Winter, forget it, as he has done, thank heaven, and the rest of us. We none of us want to bring back the past, Maxim least of all. And it's up to you, you know, to lead us away from it. Not to take us back there again.
If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again.

"Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again..."

So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her down the turning drive past the beeches, white and naked, to the isolated gray stone manse on the windswept Cornish coast. Working as a lady's companion, she learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proprosal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man.

With a husband she barely knew, the young bride arrived at this immense estate, only to be inexorably drawn into the life of the first Mrs. de Winter, the beautiful Rebecca, dead but never forgotten... her suite of rooms never touched, her clothes ready to be worn, her servant -- the sinister Mrs. Danvers -- still loyal. And as an eerie presentiment of evil tightened around her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter began her search for the real fate of Rebecca... for the secrets of Manderley.
Nameless narrator

marries wealthy widower;

haunting Rebecca.

5 1910

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,223,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible