The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

The Woman in White (1860)

by Wilkie Collins

9,902285442 (4.07)7 / 1190
Ghosts (6)
My TBR (19)

English (274)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (286)
This book is a Victorian "mystery" told by multiple narrators. It is a great read, albeit long. 1005 pages ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Mar 5, 2019 |
'The Woman in White' was something of an ordeal. The plot is excellent and the characters were well-formed, but it was a struggle to get through the extended baton-passing that greeted the shifts in narration, from Hartwright to Gilmore especially. I don't need to be reminded that the previous narrative has ended and another will commence with that kind sir's permission and the knowledge that that gentleman will add more at a later date. Readers needed different methods of reassurance 150 years ago I suppose. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
The style of the narrative is wordy. Very wordy. But that fits with the time in which it is told. Great suspense. Great love story. ( )
  pabwork | Jan 10, 2019 |
#thewomaninwhite was one of the classics I took on this year.. I have to say, although some of the classic books deeply touch my soul, some fall flat. This was one of them.. a ghostly story about deception, revenge, and a weird love triangle... the book is densely plotted, but I did not care much about the characters. Considering this was one of the first #mysterynovels of its time (published in 1859), #wilkiecollins did a great job with the clues and surprise effect. ( )
  soontobefree | Jan 10, 2019 |
Shortly before reporting to Limmeridge House in northern England where he has been employed as a drawing master, Hartright is on one of his frequent walks throughout London neighborhoods. He encounters a mysterious woman dressed in white who seeks his assistance with directions. After the two depart, he learns shortly from the police that the woman has recently escaped from an asylum. Later, when he reports to Limmeridge House, he discovers that one of his students, Laura Fairlie, the manor's master, bears a close resemblance to the woman in white. The young artist quickly falls in love with Laura only to be told by Laura's devoted half-sister, Marian Halcombe, that she is betrothed to the baronet, Sir Percival Glyde. Wishing not to disturb the future marriage, Hartright terminates his position.

This novel, published in 1859, is considered one of the earliest mystery novels. Generally, when I read a classic, the literary styling and language is so cumbersome that I rarely rate it higher than three stars. Not only did I find the language easy to understand, but I found the story very engaging. Much of the first half of the novel was setting the stage for the second half, which seemed typical for many 19th century classics; however, once the suspense began, my attention was held page by page until a satisfactory ending. ( )
  John_Warner | Dec 20, 2018 |

Symons, JulianIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tummolini, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willis, ChristineEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolf, GabrielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's resolution can achieve.
T. S. Eliot, in seeking to express his admiration for Wilkie Collins's The Woman in White, together with Armadale and The Moonstone, regretted that there was no aesthetic of melodrama, a genuine art form. (Introduction)
An experiment is attempted in this novel, which has not (so far as I know) been hitherto tried in fiction. (Preface 1860)
'The Woman in White' has been received with such marked favour by a very large circle of readers, that this volume scarcely stands in need of any prefatory introduction on my part. (Preface 1861)
The soft hazy twilight was just shading leaf and blossom alike into harmony with its own sober hues as we entered the room, and the sweet evening scent of the flowers met us with its fragrant welcome through the open glass doors.
There are three things that none of the young men of the present generation can do. They can't sit over their wine, they can't play at whist, and they can't pay a lady a compliment.

When Walter Hartwright encounters a solitary, terrified, beautiful woman dressed in white on a moonlit night in London, he feels impelled to solve the mystery of her distress. The story, full of secrets, locked rooms, lost memories, and surprise revelations, features heroine Marian Halcombe and drawing-master Walter Hartright as sleuthing partners pitted against the diabolical Count Fosco and Sir Percival Glyde. This gothic psychological thriller, a mesmerizing tale of murder, intrigue, madness, and mistaken identity, has gripped the imagination of readers since its first publication in 1860. The breathtaking tension of Collins's narrative created a new literary genre of suspense fiction, which profoundly shaped the course of English popular writing.
Identity theft,
money, madness, hidden crimes –
a Collins classic.
(passion4reading – thank you, wisewoman)
The Woman in White.
Count Fosco controls it all,
but Marian wins!
(rretzler)

Generally considered the first English sensation novel, The Woman in White features the remarkable heroine Marian Halcombe and her sleuthing partner, drawing master Walter Hartright, pitted against the diabolical team of Count Fosco and Sir Percival Glyde. A gripping tale of murder, intrigue, madness, and mistaken identity, Collins's psychological thriller has never been out of print in the 140 years since its publication.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

Marian and her sister Laura live a quiet life under their uncle's guardianship until Laura's marriage to Sir Percival Glyde. Sir Percival is a man of many secrets. Hence, Marian and the girls' drawing master, Walter, have to turn detective in order to work out what is going on, and to protect Laura from a fatal plot.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439610, 0141389435

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,086,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible