dismiss

Fingersmith (2002)

by Sarah Waters

6,874256946 (4.04)1 / 1119
Orphaned as an infant, Susan Trinder was raised by Mrs. Sucksby, 'mother' to a host of pickpockets and con artists. To pay her debt, she joins legendary thief Gentleman in swindling an innocent woman out of her inheritence. But the two women form an unanticipated bond, which leads to the exposure of Gentleman's actual motives.… (more)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (wonderlake, teelgee)
    teelgee: Definitely see where Sarah Waters got her inspiration!
    Affinity by Sarah Waters (Booksloth)
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (starfishian, Booksloth, YossarianXeno)
    YossarianXeno: Both rollicking reads covering the more seedy aspects of life in 19th Century London
    The Passion by Jeanette Winterson (kaionvin)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (Alialibobali, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These novels offer gothic suspense's classic creepy atmosphere, though with somewhat different story-lines. Fingersmith takes place in Victorian England while The Thirteenth Tale is contemporary, but both emphasize books, mysteries about birth and identity, insanity, and grand houses.… (more)
    A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick (teelgee)
    Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue (rich_as_a_queen)
    She Rises: A Novel by Kate Worsley (JoEnglish)
    The Observations by Jane Harris (wandering_star)
    The Talented Mr. Ripley / Ripley Under Ground / Ripley's Game by Patricia Highsmith (charlie68)
    charlie68: Also a series of stories of the anti-hero.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (blacksylph)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (themulhern)
    themulhern: Books set in an historical English and evoking the writers of that time.
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (withwill)
    The Dark Lantern: A Novel by Gerri Brightwell (Electablue)
    Summit Avenue by Mary Sharratt (Anisland)
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (charlie68)
    The Book of Human Skin by Michelle Lovric (Cecilturtle)
    After Mrs Hamilton by Clare Ashton (Charmella1)
    Church of Marvels by Leslie Parry (Electablue)
    The Asylum by John Harwood (HollyMS)

English (247)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (252)
This book is gripping. I have been devouring every page in a kind of compulsive, fearful desperation. This is a well written and delectably detailed novel which just gets darker with every turn of the page. ( )
  Jaykess | Aug 14, 2020 |
A Dickensian novel of an intrepid young lady who buys into a scheme she thinks will make her and her fellow plotters rich. A story of desperate fortune hunting in a milieu of racy books, pickpockets and the selling of babies for profit. Two quotes that rather sum up some of what we absorb along the way: (1) "...by then I could only see that there was once a time when we had walked apart; and then a time when we walked together." (2)"Everybody in my world knew that regular work was only another name for being robbed and dying of boredom." An epic story split between two first-person narrators that, as it unfolds, exposes us to different layers of plotting and two sides of the same story. Betrayal and villainy abound. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jul 21, 2020 |
I loved this twice as much as "Affinity", and that twice as much as "Tipping the Velvet"... which augers well for "The Night Watch" *g*

There were so many twists here, but they weren't annoying ones IMO. I like it when an author tricks me. Both main characters were interesting and sympathetic, and there was a great supporting cast as well. Loved it :)
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
This was SO GOOD. I did not really know what to expect going into this and wow, did this deliver! The plot twists, my oh my... definitely one of my favorite books of the year. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
Yet another read of this favorite. ( )
  amcheri | Apr 29, 2020 |
Queen Victoria, while accepting homosexuality in men, is said not to have been able to believe lesbians existed.

Sarah Waters sets out once again to prove Her Majesty wrong in her latest novel, Fingersmith, set - as her other two novels, Tipping the Velvet and Affinity - in Victorian London.

This is hardly niche writing - or even erotic fiction, although the few love scenes are tenderly drawn.

It is instead a tremendous read that draws the reader swiftly into the teeming life that thrived underneath the various repressions of the Victorian era.

let's just say that Dickens, the great performer of his own work, would surely have blushed to read it.
added by Ariane65 | editNew York times, Tom Gilling (Feb 24, 2002)

Sarah Watersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林玉葳Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Усова, НинаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sally O-J
My name, in those days, was Susan Trinder.
"You've heard, perhaps, of my Index? ... Has there ever been its like? A universal bibliography, and on such a theme? They say the science is a dead one amongst Englishmen. ... Fantastic, when one knows the degrees of obscurity in which my subject is shrouded. ... the authors of the texts I collect must cloak their identity in deception and anonymity. The texts themselves are stamped with every kind of false and misleading detail as to place and date of publication and impress. They are burdened with obscure titles. They must pass darkly, via secret channels, or on the wings of rumour and supposition. Consider those checks to the bibliographer's progress. Then speak to me, sir, of fantastic labour!" ... "And the Index is organized --?" "By title, by name, by date when we have it; and, mark this, sir; by species of pleasure. We have them tabled, most precisely."
Please do not combine Fingersmith the novel with Fingersmith the DVD.

From Front Flap of the dust jacket:
"London 1862. Sue Trinder, orphaned at birth, grows up among petty thieves -- fingersmiths -- under the rough but loving care of Mrs. Sucksby and her 'family'. But from the moment she draws breath, Sue's fate is linked to that of another orphan growing up in a gloomy mansion not too many miles away.

From the celebrated author of Tipping the Velvet and Affinity-- a modern-day Charles Dickens or Wilkie Collins -- comes an extraordinary, ingenious tale of fraud, insanity and secrets."
"Mrs Sucksby was a devil with her dander up."  (lizchris)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,294,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible