Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Fingersmith (2002)

by Sarah Waters

5,931222704 (4.06)1 / 1059
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (wonderlake, teelgee)
    teelgee: Definitely see where Sarah Waters got her inspiration!
    Affinity by Sarah Waters (Booksloth)
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (starfishian, Booksloth, YossarianXeno)
    YossarianXeno: Both rollicking reads covering the more seedy aspects of life in 19th Century London
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (Alialibobali, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These novels offer gothic suspense's classic creepy atmosphere, though with somewhat different story-lines. Fingersmith takes place in Victorian England while The Thirteenth Tale is contemporary, but both emphasize books, mysteries about birth and identity, insanity, and grand houses.… (more)
    A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick (teelgee)
    The Passion by Jeanette Winterson (kaionvin)
    Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue (rich_as_a_queen)
    The Observations by Jane Harris (wandering_star)
    She Rises: A Novel by Kate Worsley (JoEnglish)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (blacksylph)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (withwill)
    Summit Avenue by Mary Sharratt (Anisland)
    The Dark Lantern: A Novel by Gerri Brightwell (Electablue)
    The Asylum by John Harwood (HollyMS)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (themulhern)
    themulhern: Books set in an historical English and evoking the writers of that time.
    Church of Marvels by Leslie Parry (Electablue)
    The Book of Human Skin by Michelle Lovric (Cecilturtle)
    Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire (kaionvin)
    Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson (YossarianXeno)
    YossarianXeno: Both are compellingly written historical novels

English (217)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All (222)
This was about a young woman who is a 'fingersmith', or thief, getting involved in a big con job with another con artist. The first part is written from the point of view of the young woman involved in the con of a second young woman, the second part in the point of view of the second woman and part three goes back to the first young woman's point of view. I thought it was very well done and I must say I was caught off guard by the ending of part one. Following along similar events to part one but with a different point of view was interesting. ( )
  LisaMorr | Oct 7, 2017 |
Sue Trinder has grown up in the slums of Victorian England. An orphan, she lives with an assortment of characters who become her makeshift "family", who make their living in petty thievery. When an opportunity arises to make a substantial amount of money by tricking a young, wealthy woman (Maud) into marrying one of their own, the group jumps at the chance. Sue plays her part by becoming Maud's lady's maid, and by doing so is able to influence & encourage the marriage.

I've had this book on my TBR shelf for many years. I was aware that it had great reviews and was known for its plot twists. I've read several other Sarah Waters novels and like those, this one captured the essence of the Gothic period well. Though I was ready and waiting for a plot twist, the big one still caught me by surprise and it's hard to go into more plot detail without giving it away.

I did enjoy this novel, despite the fact that the Victorian period is not necessarily my favorite with its dark undertones. However, I do think this was another instance where the hype of the book had my expectations so high that I was mildly disappointed when all was said and done. It was a good novel, but I don't know that I would consider it a great one. As a side note, I did immediately watch the BBC film version upon finishing the book, and felt that it was a decent adaptation. ( )
  indygo88 | Sep 9, 2017 |
Everything about this is so perfect. The characters, the setting, the romance, THE AMAZING PLOT TWISTS. I wish more books were like this. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
Strong women who are always more than damsels in distress, familial bonds and filial duty, and wolves in sheep clothing. This book is a Victorian-style dark and twisty tale that truly picks up steam about 40% in.

Recommended to those who appreciate their Dickens with a feminine twist. ( )
  angiestahl | Aug 5, 2017 |
It's a wonderful book and a brilliant adaptation of the Victorian novel style of writing. Her grasp of Victorian prose and plot construction was spot on, and she weaves an intricate novel filled with intrigue, sexual tension and longing that ends exactly as you hope it will. I found it a tad rough to navigate some of the more in depth sections, but kept getting drawn back in by the twists and turns. ( )
  JOlson724 | Jul 28, 2017 |
Queen Victoria, while accepting homosexuality in men, is said not to have been able to believe lesbians existed.

Sarah Waters sets out once again to prove Her Majesty wrong in her latest novel, Fingersmith, set - as her other two novels, Tipping the Velvet and Affinity - in Victorian London.

This is hardly niche writing - or even erotic fiction, although the few love scenes are tenderly drawn.

It is instead a tremendous read that draws the reader swiftly into the teeming life that thrived underneath the various repressions of the Victorian era.

let's just say that Dickens, the great performer of his own work, would surely have blushed to read it.
added by Ariane65 | editNew York times, Tom Gilling (Feb 24, 2002)

Sarah Watersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林玉葳Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Усова, НинаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sally O-J
My name, in those days, was Susan Trinder.
"You've heard, perhaps, of my Index? ... Has there ever been its like? A universal bibliography, and on such a theme? They say the science is a dead one amongst Englishmen. ... Fantastic, when one knows the degrees of obscurity in which my subject is shrouded. ... the authors of the texts I collect must cloak their identity in deception and anonymity. The texts themselves are stamped with every kind of false and misleading detail as to place and date of publication and impress. They are burdened with obscure titles. They must pass darkly, via secret channels, or on the wings of rumour and supposition. Consider those checks to the bibliographer's progress. Then speak to me, sir, of fantastic labour!" ... "And the Index is organized --?" "By title, by name, by date when we have it; and, mark this, sir; by species of pleasure. We have them tabled, most precisely."
Please do not combine Fingersmith the novel with Fingersmith the DVD.

From Front Flap of the dust jacket:
"London 1862. Sue Trinder, orphaned at birth, grows up among petty thieves -- fingersmiths -- under the rough but loving care of Mrs. Sucksby and her 'family'. But from the moment she draws breath, Sue's fate is linked to that of another orphan growing up in a gloomy mansion not too many miles away.

From the celebrated author of Tipping the Velvet and Affinity-- a modern-day Charles Dickens or Wilkie Collins -- comes an extraordinary, ingenious tale of fraud, insanity and secrets."
"Mrs Sucksby was a devil with her dander up."  (lizchris)

Sue Trinder is an orphan, left as an infant in the care of Mrs. Sucksby, a "baby farmer," who raised her with unusual tenderness, as if Sue were her own. Mrs. Sucksby's household, with its fussy babies calmed with doses of gin, also hosts a transient family of petty thieves-fingersmiths-for whom this house in the heart of a mean London slum is home. One day, the most beloved thief of all arrives-Gentleman, a somewhat elegant con man, who carries with him an enticing proposition for Sue: If she wins a position as the maid to Maud Lilly, a nave gentlewoman, and aids Gentleman in her seduction, then they will all share in Maud's vast inheritance. Once the inheritance is secured, Maud will be left to live out her days in a mental hospital. With dreams of paying back the kindness of her adopted family, Sue agrees to the plan. Once in, however, Sue begins to pity her helpless mark and care for Maud Lilly in unexpected ways . . . . But no one and nothing is as it seems in this Dickensian novel of thrills and surprises. --Publisher.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,530,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible