Oliver Twist (1838)

by Charles Dickens

20,872202148 (3.83)802
The adventures of an orphan boy who lives in the squalid surroundings of a nineteenth century English workhouse until he becomes involved with a gang of thieves.
    Jack Dawkins by Charlton Daines (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Unauthorised sequel about the life of the Artful Dodger as an adult when he returns to England.
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Leishai)
    The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Another look at Victorian corruption and crime. More comprehensive and more sinister.
    Tom Jones by Henry Fielding (swampygirl)
    The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti (derelicious)
    The Adventures of Nathaniel Swubble: The Story of a Parish Boy's Childhood by Lilian Margaret Spencer (millylitre)

English (181)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (3)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Slovak (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (202)
Great story. Oliver is resilient and resourceful but the powers that be seem hell bent on having their way with him. Dickens is always dark and his characters always suffer. No matter the story, his writing is peerless and amazingly literate. ( )
  Joe73 | May 19, 2022 |
Cover: Fitting
Rating Up 4 dismal stars
Overall: An interesting read
Characters: Well written
Plot: Follow young Oliver into the dark, back-alleys of London
Page Turner: Yes, for some
Series Cont.? N/a
Recommend Yes
Favorite Character: the Artful Dodger

SUMMARY (50 word or so)

This book is... not for everyone. But I enjoyed it, and highly recommend it for fans of classics, or Dickens fans. It's a dark tale of how the orphaned Oliver makes and name for himself, and finds himself amidst a gang of thieves, and a small group of friends.

To see my full review, and other books news, check out my blog post.

Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
I didn't expect to like this book so much! ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
Apparently my only recollections of this book are events from the first half of the story: the “Please sir, I want some more” scene, Fagin, the Artful Dodger. Now that I’ve read the book in full, I’ve discovered that there’s a lot more to it (specifically the Bill Sikes and Nancy plotline). The book started unravelling for me at the 3/4 mark, because there are a lot of convoluted threads to keep track of and I don’t think my brain was there for it. Overall, though, the story is easy enough to follow. Just watch out for incredibly cringey language used to describe Fagin. (Also, one character is surnamed Bates, and Dickens insists on referring to him as Master…) ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 12, 2022 |
I can't believe I won't be listening to what happens next in the life of Oliver Twist. Everyone in the story was real to me. Nancy's murder was tragic. Her inability to leave the cruel Sikes heart-breaking. There remains the coldness of Oliver's family. What his half-brother did to him is unimaginable to me. What a story. I suppose I should read Tolstoy Anna Karenina. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
Oliver Twist, a meek, mild young boy, is born in the workhouse and spends his early years there until, finding the audacity to ask for more food, he is made to leave. Apprenticed to an undertaker by Mr Bumble, Oliver runs away in desperation and falls in with Fagin and his gang of thieves where he begins his new life in the criminal underworld.

Under the tutelage of the satanic Fagin, the brutal Bill Sikes and the wily Artful Dodger, Oliver learns to survive, although he is destined not to stay with Fagin but to find his own place in the world.

With its terrifying evocation of the hypocrisy of the wealthy and the depths to which poverty pushes the human spirit, Oliver Twist is both a fascinating examination of evil and a poignant moving novel for all times.
added by letonia | editPenguin Popular Classics

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictitious name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse; and in this workhouse was born; on a day and date which I need not trouble myself to repeat, inasmuch as it can be of no possible consequence to the reader, in this stage of the business at all events; the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.
Please, sir, I want some more.
If the law supposes that, the law is a ass-- a idiot.
What have paupers to do with soul or spirit? It's quite enough that we let 'em have live bodies.
"We have none of us long to wait for Death. Patience, patience! He'll be here soon enough for us all."
This is the main work for the book Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos) with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439742, 0451529715, 0141031719, 0141322438, 0141192496, 0141198885

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,387,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible