Tom Jones (1749)

by Henry Fielding

A foundling of mysterious parentage brought up by Mr. Allworthy on his country estate, Tom Jones is deeply in love with the seemingly unattainable Sophia Western, the beautiful daughter of the neighboring squire -- though he sometimes succumbs to the charms of the local girls. When Tom is banished to make his own fortune and Sophia follows him to London to escape an arranged marriage, the adventure begins. A vivid Hogarthian panorama of eighteenth-century life, spiced with danger and intrigue, bawdy exuberance and good-natured authorial interjections, "Tom Jones" is one of the greatest and most ambitious comic novels in English literature.… (more)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (Widsith)
    Widsith: The obvious companion book...Shandy is funnier, but less story-driven
    The Expedition of Humphry Clinker by Tobias Smollett (uncultured, amanda4242)
    uncultured: Surprisingly easy to read 18th century novel, written as a series of letters. The characters (and letter writers) include a cranky old maid; her nephew, a hotheaded young aristocra; his sister, an innocent romantic; and their gruff uncle, a country squire with a heart of gold. They travel about England, with especial emphasis on Bath and London, allowing the author [a physician) to point out just how disgusting even the highest society could be. Part travelogue, part comedy, part bittersweet commentary on age and family. Easily the equal of Henry Fielding.… (more)
    Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (swampygirl)
    CliffsNotes on Defoe's Moll Flanders by Nancy Levi Arnez (espertus)
    espertus: Another 18th century bawdy picaresque novel
1740s (1)
My TBR (36)

English (78)  German (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (86)
This version was nicely done.
  Arhama | Sep 4, 2022 |
I liked this book, but I thought it went on too long. Was mostly interested in the philosophy over the plot. I see a lot of people like the movie, and I did too, just keep in mind the book goes off on philosophical ideas unlike the film. I mostly read this because I did like his Tom Thumb play I had to read in collage a long time ago. He also reminds me of Swift. You will get a lot of witty satire in this book. ( )
  Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |
OK, Yikes! I am so tired of this story that I can hardly force myself to write the review. It just goes on forever. I kept thinking that Henry Fielding would have admired Henry James, because their two novels are the epitome of an inability to discipline your writing!

Sadly, I started this novel rather enjoying both Mr. Jones and the tale. I was even amused by Fielding’s essays on writing that began each book. The amusement had disappeared by Book Six, with Twelve more books ahead of me. As the story wore on, it deteriorated into a skirt-chase novel. Seems Mr. Jones was willing and able to service all comers, and the women of the period need only look at his handsome face and sculpted body to tumble into his bed. In fact, some of them forced his hand, instead of the other way around.

There is a scene in which a young lady (whose name I will omit for purposes of no spoilers) is setup by a relative to be raped by a Lord. I found this so repulsive I wanted to scream. Apparently, while Fielding and his audience would have thought this quite naughty, they would not have regarded it as quite the criminal imposition that we moderns would.

This novel was not exactly a slog for me. It has a readable style and some of the antics are interesting, and there is a plot twist/explanation of things at the end that was a total surprise for me and illustrated the skill with which Fielding wrote this tome. Still 1880 pages should yield more than a surprising mystery solution.

One of the reasons I wanted to read this was because of its influence on writers who came after Fielding, including Charles Dickens. References to this work are found repeatedly in books and movies, and all the references will be understood by me now in brilliant detail, although a vague idea already existed. I’m not sure how to rate this, since it is generally well-written and important for historical reasons. I’m not sorry to have read it, I’m just glad it is done! ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
this is a lavish presentation of a familiar staple of "The History of the Novel" Courses. It is a picaresque telling of a familiar plot. our hero, starting with some obvious handicap, suffers an initial act of treachery, but, by revealing in high level of competence and compassion rewins the heart of his own true love. If you do not mind a short sermon at the beging of each chapter, which telegraphs the bulk ofthe episode to follow, it reads quite well. The ISBN, is fom a more recent reprinting. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Aug 3, 2022 |
A bit long, but a worthwhile read if you enjoy the classics. ( )
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |

Singleton, Ralph H.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Lawrence BeallIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stern, SimonEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wakely, AliceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Honourable George Lyttleton, Esq.
One of the Lords Commissioners of the Treasury
An author ought to consider himself, not as a gentleman who gives a private or eleemosynary treat, but rather as one who keeps a public ordinary, at which all persons are welcome for their money.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140436227, 0141199733

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,039,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible