dismiss

Wuthering Heights (1847)

by Emily Brontë

40,33356925 (3.9)5 / 1756
The story of the stormy relationship between the mysterious Heathcliff, the beautiful and stubborn Cathy, and the people who live at Wuthering Heights.
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    Windward Heights by Maryse Condé (TheLittlePhrase)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre fils Dumas (peleiades22)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (Headinherbooks_27)

Read (30)
Romans (10)
1840s (2)

English (526)  Spanish (14)  Italian (8)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (2)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Piratical (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (564)
The last time I recall someone telling me that a book was the greatest romance they ever read, they were speaking about "Fifty Shades of Grey." I was reluctant to even read this one because I knew that I probably wasn't going to like it. I started to read it and went, yep do not like. I gave this two stars honestly because it's engrossing to read even though I didn't like one character save the two servants (Nelly and Joseph). And I was pretty much luke-warm on Nelly for most of the book. I don't know, maybe this would have worked better if the story was told from Catherine or Heathcliff's point of view. Most of the story follows Nelly's POV and a man named Mr. Lockwood.

"Wuthering Heights" begins in 1801 when a man named Lockwood begins the tale. Lockwood is a new tenant at Thrushcross Grange and he goes to pay a visit to his landlord a Mr. Heathcliff. Mr. Heathcliff lives in his home called Wuthering Heights. Lockwood is repelled by most of the household (same boy, same) and wonders at the young woman named Cathy that lives there and a young man that Cathy seems to despise named Hareton. When Lockwood stays overnight in Wuthering Heights, he finds the diary of a woman named Catherine Earnshaw and starts to wonder about the people who lived there. He eventually gets his housekeeper, Nelly to tell him about what went on at Wuthering Heights. Bronte then proceeds to take up the rest of the tale explaining about Catherine, her brother Hindley, Heathcliff and the Linton family.

So, there's so much going on that the narrative told by Nelly doesn't help. Nelly is like the priest in Romeo and Juliet to me. Knows a lot about what is going on, but does nothing to help.

I honestly don't get why women were swooning over Heathcliff. He's a bully and as much of a mess as Catherine. I do feel badly for how he was treated by Hindley, but he purposely went about trying to ruin people and play God with other characters.

Catherine seemed ridiculous to the extreme to me. I just imagine that the men fought over her because no one else was in the vicinity besides Isabella.

Hindley I found to be terrible and I honestly pitied Edgar and Isabella. The last two are just used as chess pieces and don't seem to be viewed as people with real hope for love and a happy marriage.

The writing was a bit tough to get through. It just didn't work for me at all as a Gothic romance. I really loved Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte so just figured this would work for me too. I think if the book had switched things up so that we stayed with one narrator this would have made things stronger.

The flow was off. I think switching from narrator to another narrator and I think some other narrators (my brain shut off) it just made the story too unwieldy to follow after a while.

The setting of Wuthering Heights sounds desolate and unforgiving though.

The ending just leaves you with a shake of your head. You are left thinking that maybe a cycle has been broken, but you wonder since once again, the families in this story are a hot mess. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I mostly read this beside the pool of the Australia Club in Vientiane, Laos, as a fourteen year old. I absolutely loved it and couldn't put it down. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Jeez—and I thought Blood Meridian was bleak. ( )
  drbrand | Jun 8, 2020 |
This novel is tragic and beautifully written and executed but I wish it didn't have a reputation as romantic. The link is to a song I listened to after reading, and I think they are companions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_xEVzTDN3c ( )
  erinrita | May 28, 2020 |
Heftigen Stürmen ausgeliefert, liegt der Gutshof "Wuthering Heights" auf einer Anhöhe in Yorkshire, inmitten einer düsteren Moorlandschaft. Dort lebt der alte Earnshaw mit seinen drei Kindern Catherine, Hindley und Heathcliff. Letzterer, ein Findelkind aus den Elendsquartieren Liverpools, ist von Earnshaw aufgenommen worden, und obwohl alle drei Kinder die gleiche Erziehung genießen, kann der Adoptivsohn seine Vergangenheit nicht abschütteln. Sein ungestümes und schroffes Wesen, sein aufbrausendes Temperament offenbaren seine Herkunft. Nach dem Tod des alten Earnshaw ziehen über "Wuthering Heights" dunle Wolken auf: Obwohl Catherine ihren Adoptivbruder liebt,k weist sie ihn aufgrund der Standesunterschiede schroff zurück. Gedemütigt verläßt Heathcliff den Hof, um später wiederzukommen und gezielt Rache zu üben...
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Ward, CandaceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitley, John S.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Blackbirds (1991.1)
Everyman's Library (Fiction 243)

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with editions which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832742, 1907832750

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,124,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible