Wuthering Heights (1847)

by Emily Brontë

44,61661525 (3.89)5 / 1833
The story of the stormy relationship between the mysterious Heathcliff, the beautiful and stubborn Cathy, and the people who live at Wuthering Heights.
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (lucy.depalma)
    Windward Heights by Maryse Condé (TheLittlePhrase)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas fils (peleiades22)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (Headinherbooks_27)

Read (30)
1840s (3)
Romans (10)

English (571)  Spanish (19)  Italian (8)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (616)
I have read this book several times now and have always been disappointed with it. (I've read Jane Eyre several times as well, and have gone through hating it to quite liking it, so am always prepared to change my mind about a book).[return][return]I simply dont understand why people love this book, and Heathcliff/Cathy relationship in particular. I think it's overrated and gets far to much attention, especially when considering there are other Bronte books out there that should be given more attention than they do currently. ( )
  nordie | Apr 18, 2022 |
Wuthering Heights is a masterpiece of wretchedness. The book was relatively dark throughout. The few glimmers of hope or happiness were always quickly shattered by impending death or cruelty until the last 2 – 3 chapters. It was written well enough to keep my interest, but I was not sorry to finish this and move on to something lighter. If
you like the macabre, you will like Wuthering Heights.
This does not deserve a 3, but I can't qualify it for a 4 either. ( )
  282Mikado | Apr 13, 2022 |
I wanted to like this, but it ended up feeling like a dreadful slog which I just wanted to end. I suspect that ended up putting me in a vicious circle where I read it faster than I should have and appreciated it less, so read it faster.
There were parts I liked, the ending and the dream of the ghost at the window near the start, but too much of it felt confusing and I failed completely to make a connection with any of the characters. What’s more, the misery excuses beastly behaviour angle seemed pretty weak.
Reading it so soon after Frankenstein (which I enjoyed far more) was interesting though. The two books seemed to share some themes around class and despair, as well as using the same someone telling a story device to tell their tale (is that common of novels of the period?)
All in all a bit of a miss for me, but maybe one I will revisit when I’m in a better frame of mind to read it. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
2.5 to 3 stars.
[b: Wuthering Heights|6185|Wuthering Heights|Emily Brontë|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1630501681l/6185._SY75_.jpg|1565818] is a gothic tale of passionate and obsessive love, it is a recount 27 years previous of love between Cathy and Heathcliff and is narrated by the housekeeper.
From the very start, I was confused, I found myself unable to connect with our main characters truly because of this, I would have loved to see the romance from their perspectives.
Wuthering Heights is a story all about abuse, cycles of abuse, and how abuse can impact so many hearts and so many generations repeatedly and this is something I loved.

The characters could have been better, the thing is, you're not really supposed to like the characters and since they weren't telling the story, I felt distant with them as we are getting the views of the characters from the housemaid.

Heathcliff is a quite complex character and I did like the way he was written, I was confused with Cathy and Catherine and who was who.
I could not understand Joseph at all.

They are all very flawed:
Catherine is selfish.
Edgar cares not for his sister.
Heathcliff only cares for Catherine.

I liked seeing how their children were also affected and turned out a certain way, showing how abuse is a cycle.

Overall, while I struggled to read this due to the language, I found faults yet still somewhat enjoyed reading it and I found the premise to be interesting as well as the portrayal of abuse being a cycle. ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
The revenge of a mad man and ghost story's and she had to kill some one the way her sister died ( )
  abdalaziz | Mar 3, 2022 |
"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with editions which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832742, 1907832750

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,091,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible