Wuthering Heights (1847)

by Emily Brontë

42,09359025 (3.9)5 / 1779
The story of the stormy relationship between the mysterious Heathcliff, the beautiful and stubborn Cathy, and the people who live at Wuthering Heights.
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    Windward Heights by Maryse Condé (TheLittlePhrase)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre fils Dumas (peleiades22)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (Headinherbooks_27)

Read (30)
1840s (4)
Romans (10)

English (547)  Spanish (17)  Italian (8)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (589)
This book has been an immense disappointment. The entire book felt very scattered and failed to dwell on any emotion or feeling longer than few instances. Hence, everything felt scattered and nothing grew on me.
The only dominant feeling is the hatred of Heathcliff , which I took a long time for me to even justify its intensity. I found the Catherine angle (Yes, the entire lady on which the story and Heathcliff is based on) to be completely useless. The writer didnot do justice , if I accept Heathcliff's anger , whether Catherine loved or hated him need not play any role.
The writer's treatment of her female is not to my liking. It was unpalatable and very stereotypical in the core.
The only enjoyable part of the entire novel is the revenge exacted by Heathcliff , the reversal of role.
The ending was not great but was also not a disappointment. ( )
  __echo__ | May 11, 2021 |
I tried with this book. I really did. I read it all and I'm wondering where the good part is. The characters were whiny complainers who were spoiled and entitled. "Do this." "I don't want to." "Well if you don't I won't love you anymore." "Well if you don't love me I'll throw myself on this chair and cry myself to death."

Seriously, that's what it sounded like in my head. I think I read a teenager's diary that was less angsty than this. Eesh. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
The blurb on the back of my Vintage Classics paperback edition presents Wuthering Heights as “[p]erhaps the most haunting and tormented love story ever written….” While I usually recoil at the whimsical descriptions publishers use to wrap (and sell) classics, this statement is particularly accurate. The characters we encounter in this book are highly caustic. The themes we encounter are sickness and death, passion and haunting, and generational curses—which find their pitch in light of their author’s tubercular death a year after the book’s publication. Indeed, it is a dark novel. In the first paragraph alone one finds the words troubled, misanthropist, desolation, and black eyes (not as a result of punching, by the way). But one must not get too hung up on the well-trod ground of the novel’s gothic themes. Let’s look at some other dimensions.

In this novel, Emily secures herself as a genius, though the writing is somewhat clunky in places: “Heathcliff glanced me a glance…” (308; redundancy); “I asked if Heathcliff were at home?” (341; not a question, unless this is an early example of uptalking). But, given that editing was carried out by Emily’s sister Charlotte (of Jane Eyre fame), to which sister shall we assign blame? For that matter, how much is Emily’s versus Charlotte’s writing? Here one easily slips into the hotly contested Raymond Carver-Gordon Lish debate. These syntactical blemishes, however, are easily dismissed, especially for a first novel. One marvels at the possibilities had Emily lived on to write more.

Perhaps the most striking element of the novel—to me, at least—is the sly way in which Brontë assigns a woman the role of main narrator, which was certainly unconventional at the time. In fact, the book was originally published under the pseudonym Ellis Bell (E. B.; very nice, Emily!). Mr Lockwood takes the helm as our narrator, but after a few chapters the perspective shifts to Mrs Dean for almost the entire remainder of the novel. We only get brief, jarring interpolations from Mr Lockwood. Well played, again, Emily! And not only that, but she has the male character affirm the female narrator’s abilities: “‘She is, on the whole, a very fair narrator and I don’t think I [Mr Lockwood] could improve her style'” (178). And, lest someone should question how Brontë justifies a servant’s soaring storytelling ability, the justification should please any self-respecting reader: “…I [Mrs Neal] have read more than you would fancy, Mr Lockwood” (71).

One of the most pervasive subthemes in the book is that of what I will call, to use Brontë’s own word (3), penetralium, which is defined as an inner sanctum. Throughout the book we encounter the recurring theme of going deeper into something. In the first pages after the introduction of the rare word (in English literature, at least), we encounter the phrases “shrunk icily into myself” (4) and “in the depths of the cellar” (5). The book is, of course, concerned with uncovering mysteries, peeling back layers. Even the narrative structure is layered: the reader regards through Mr Lockwood’s eyes that of Mrs Neal telling the history of, predominantly, Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw in retrospect.

I have six pages of reading notes from which to cull the pieces of this little review, but I shan’t continue with delusions of my abilities as a critic. Let us at this point suffice it to say that the following line, like Thomas Wolfe’s “O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again,” hit me with such impact as to ensure its presence in my consciousness forever: “Well, there is one who doesn’t shrink from my company!” (382).

One word of advice I have to offer is to lookup or create your own genealogy tree for the characters in the novel. Between all the close relations between the families and the use of several monikers per characters—though not as confusing as, say, Marquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude—one can easily lose the narrative thread. Other than that, I would recommend this as a great fall-winter read for atmospheric heightening. The theme of a new generation emerging out of a caustic generation of passion and fate reminds me of one of my favourite recent movies, The Place Beyond the Pines (2012). ( )
  chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |
Being from Liverpool myself, I think the real moral of the story was just "don't go to Liverpool", very rude. ( )
1 vote | Neal_Anderson | Mar 20, 2021 |
Não lido
  claramenezes | Feb 14, 2021 |
"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with editions which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832742, 1907832750

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,942,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible