Moonfleet (1898)

by John Meade Falkner

1,1133213,173 (3.81)2 / 98
Orphaned John Trenchard grows up in the village of Moonfleet with his aunt, entranced by the local legend of the ghostly Blackbeard, who rises each winter night to search for his lost diamond. While conducting his own hunt for the treasure, John is trapped in the church crypt and discovers the true secret of the village- smuggling. Taken under the wing of the gruff innkeeper and chief smuggler, Elzevir Block, John begins a dangerous adventure which will see him in a hair-raising chase along a precarious cliff path and deciphering a hidden code in an ancient castle. Moonfleet is thrilling story of revenge and betrayal, of loyalty and great sacrifice, but it is above all a story about friendship..… (more)
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (atimco)
    atimco: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    Doctor Syn by Russell Thorndike (devenish)
    Wessex by Geoffrey Grigson (octothorp)
    octothorp: The About Britain guide to Wessex by Geoffrey Grigson recommends Falkner's 'Moonfleet' (rightly in my opinion) as historical fiction especially evocative of the region.
    Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier (devenish)
    Doctor Syn Returns by Russell Thorndike (devenish)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described

English (29)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (31)
El primer libro de la serie de Aventuras de la editorial Zenda donde Arturo Perez Reverte re-edita clasicos de aventuras olvidados.

Entiendo lo que le gusta a Perez Reverte de este libro. Es una aventura a pie, a barco, de gente normal, gente humilde, donde el protagonista tiene que superar el miedo a la oscuridad, a los cadaveres y a las alturas por ejemplo. No hay superpoderes, no hay grandes efectos, no hay grandes heroes. Cometiendo errores a veces, haciendolo mejor otras en una aventura donde la avaricia, el dolor, el arrepentimiento, la amistad y el amor se mezclan en una mezcla muy humana.

Me ha gustado como el autor nos explica porque el protagonista es capaz de hacer ciertas cosas. Por ejemplo, en un momento para intentar distraer su mente y mirada se fija en varios detalles de un jardin, lo que luego se usa para que el protagonista tenga la confianza de haber visto algo en concreto.

Las descripciones son perfectas. Es increible como en el mundo actual, aun da aprensión leer la descripcion de armas de fuego de hace 200 años. O las tormentas, un mundo en el que unos kilometros de distancia o un cambio en el tiempo era la diferencia entre la vida y la muerte. ( )
  trusmis | Nov 28, 2020 |
[This is a review I wrote in 2006]

**A brilliant story for everyone!**

Brilliant! A great book for readers of any age. Older children, teens & adults should all enjoy it. I don't know how I missed this one out when I was younger, but it's definitely not just for kids... I loved it!! A smuggling tale of adventure that sees the main character, John Trenchard, mature from boy to man. A well-orchestrated twist to the end of the tale too. A classic! ( )
  ArdizzoneFan | Nov 12, 2020 |
I was sure I had previously read this in Grade 8 but barely remembered any of it. What's with that? Coles Notes? I don't imagine it's assigned anymore, given a section on a conniving Jewish jeweller. It is a wonderful tale, though, and my Folio Society edition, beautifully illustrated by Michael Manomivibul, helped warm quite a few winter nights. ( )
  heggiep | Jan 31, 2019 |
An adventure story, told from a boy's point of view, in 18th century England. Set on the Dover coast, it is initially a story of smugglers, in Moonfleet bay. John Trenchard is about 12, a curious boy, who stumbles into a crypt that is a holding area for smugglers of wine from France. He is there to look for the Mohune treasure, and finds a locket in a casket, but has to be rescued by the smugglers, particularly Elvezir Block, a taciturn man who lost his son during a revenuer's attack on the smuggling. He adopts John, they continue the smuggling, but are found out, accused of killing the magistrate, hide in a Dover cliff cave. John figures out a riddle in a poem in the locket, and they find the treasure, but are cheated of it in Holland, end up in prison gangs, and are finally released during a storm that wrecks them in Moonfleet bay. Elzevir dies rescuing John, in the end, John gets restitution from the cheat in Holland, and relates the tale as a rich man. I found it a bit hard at the beginning, later a good tale. ( )
  neurodrew | Nov 14, 2017 |
As one of my All Time Favourites, Moonfleet is one I am sure I could read again and again without ever becoming tired of it. I have a strong emotional tie to the book, even if it isn't one of the more famous ones I've read. Falkner weaves an amazing story and Elzevir is an unequalled character, if only for the personal significance I've had for him since childhood. It's suspenseful, adventurous, and deeply moving. I love this book. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |

John Meade Falknerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Exell, F. R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kredel, FritzIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The village of Moonfleet lies half a mile from the sea on the right or west bank of the Fleet stream.

"I was caught in a trap, and knew besides that contraband-men had a way of sealing prying eyes and stilling babbling tongues; and I remembered poor Cracky Jones found dead in the churchyard, and how men said he had met Blackbeard in the night."

In 1757, fifteen-year-old John Trenchard discovers a secret tunnel that leads to the burial vault of Blackbeard the pirate, and a cryptic note that discloses the whereabouts of the legendary Blackbeard diamond - a veritable King's ransom. The jewel was safely hidden and undiscovered until John, driven by his curiosity and lust for adventure, searches for the gem and gets more than he bargained for in the process.
Hunting for treasure
Seems like a bad idea
Yeah, it really is
(starwing)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,616,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible