Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island (1883)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

21,66231696 (3.83)1 / 1093
    King Solomon's Mines by Henry Rider Haggard (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (krizia_lazaro)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (atimco, FernandoH)
    atimco: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (mcenroeucsb)
    Silver: Return to Treasure Island by Andrew Motion (Cecrow)
    Stormchaser by Paul Stewart (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Pirates is not the only thing these two books have in common. They are both incredibly exciting adventures and have wonderfully brave young heroes.
    The Buccaneers by Iain Lawrence (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Pirates and hijinks on the high seas abound in both - in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins is brought along on an expedition to find a pirate's buried treasure and faces betrayal and danger from pirates & the crew. In Buccaneers, the crew fears that a castaway they pick up in the middle of the ocean is a Jonah who will betray them to the most vicious pirate on the seas.… (more)
    The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting (Morteana)
    The Coral Island by R. M. Ballantyne (Cecrow)
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Far from Crichton's best, but a fun pirate romp.
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (chwiggy)
    The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: If you have read lots of books about pirates and seen all the pirate movies, you'll probably enjoy Pyrates because it references most of them. If you're not a fanatic about all things pirate, you might want to skip Pyrates and try Fraser's Flashman series instead.… (more)
    Nick of Time by Ted Bell (Homechicken)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)

English (289)  Spanish (7)  German (6)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (315)
Robert Louis Stevenson's classic adventure novel tells the story of Jim Hawkins, a teenage boy on the quest for buried treasure. With the likes of Squire Trelawney, Dr. Livesey and Captain Smollett by his side, he hopes to find the lost gold of Captain J. Flint. However, he must deal with cutthroat pirates and the most notorious buccaneer of the 7 seas... Long John Silver. A wonderful piece of literature from the pen of the late Scotsman, Treasure Island has both been loved and in the influence for countless generations of readers and writers. ( )
  redmondrobert | Aug 15, 2018 |
YAAARR. This be a tale of scallywags and high seas. Adventure be at it's finest, and the rum flows like water me lads. ( )
1 vote wodenthewanderer | Aug 14, 2018 |
July 2018 reread via audiobook from Amazon free for streaming to Echo ...

Probably my scattered mental state was more to blame than the recording but I didn't care too much for this full cast "adaptation" (does this mean abridged?? I guess so) ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 27, 2018 |
Young Jim Hawkins helps his mother tend to their inn where they see all sorts of unsavory people coming and going. In particular, the worst is the drunken pirates. After the death of a particularly desired pirate in the inn Jim gets caught up with a secret map leading to treasure. He joins a ship with Captain Smollett and Long John Silver to find the fortune. Unfortunately, all is not what it seems and Jim overhears some shipmates privately plan a mutiny.

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. After trying to read another classic (like Moby Dick) I feared this one was going to share the DNF(Did Not Finish) pile. Or share the pile with most of the classic I read, which is one or two stars out of five. Thankfully this is one I thought was lovely. Most classics are written differently because they from another time in the world and the way language was written(and maybe said) is just divergent. I did not remember the many movies that were made of this. Even the muppet one is a blur in my mind. So I was coming at this almost a blank slate. I did catch many references that are now in The Pirates Of The Caribbean movies and Disney ride. It was fun, sometimes a little dark but it was a good voyage.

As for the downside of Treasure Island...um well it has been a few days since I finished and for the life of me, I can not remember the ending. I feel like maybe the end was abrupt and could have gone on. Or maybe it is because I have a sequel in my pile that I am looking forward to reading. Of course, the sequel book, Silver by Andrew Motion, is newish it came out in 2013 and not written by Robert Lewis Stevenson because he’s been dead since 1894.

So other than a not so memorable ending. It was good. Not great good but good. Some lovely descriptive moments. This does make me curious to see the Muppet Treasure Island movie again because remember it being terrible. Maybe as an adult, I will see it with different eyes as I did the book. ( )
  lavenderagate | Jul 17, 2018 |
Come and join us in a wonderful adventure story. Pirates, parrots, treasure maps. One of the most complicated villains in all of Victorian literature. An exotic setting, an exotic time frame. Who could ask for more?
At a coastal inn, a mysterious and somewhat evil man takes up residence. Soon he’s pursued my creepy foes. What ensues is the most influential pirate story ever. Stevenson was admittedly aiming at a young male audience, but a reader would need to be unimaginative in the extreme not to get caught up in Jim Hawkins’ adventures on the high seas.
Definitely recommended. ( )
  bohemima | Jul 5, 2018 |

Robert Louis Stevensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, EberhardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britton, JasperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brust, Karl FriedrichIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen wei minsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buchaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
exactly in the ancient way,
can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave,
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their ceations lie!
To S.L.O., an American gentleman, in accordance with whose classic taste the following narrative has been designed, it is now, in return for numerous delightful hours, and with kindest wishes, dedicated by his affectionate friend, THE AUTHOR.
Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17--, and go back to the time when my father kept the "Admiral Benbow" inn, and the brown old seaman, with the sabre cut, first took up his lodging under our roof.
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

Drink and the devil had done for the rest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"
This is the main work - Stevenson's Treasure Island (unabridged).  Please do not combine with omnibus/combined editions, anthologies or abridged editions, nor movie treatments nor audio books (unless, of course, they are complete and unabridged)
ISBN 0192141872 - per WorldCat is for The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories by Patricia Craig which matches the covers.
When Jim Hawkins finds an old pirate map showing a small island marked with a red cross, he knows that a fortune in gold lies waiting for him. What could be more exciting than buried treasure?
Aboard a ship named the Hispaniola, Jim sails toward Treasure Island. The voyage goes well until Jim overhears a frightening conversation. He learns that the one-legged man who signed on as ship's cook is really the famous pirate Long John Silver. And worse - he discovers that the crew are teaming up with Silver to steal the treasure. Can Jim save the gold...and save his life?
There and back again:
pirates, gold and adventures!
The sea-cook's the star.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527046, Mass Market Paperback)

Climb aboard for the swashbuckling adventure of a lifetime. Treasure Islandhas enthralled (and caused slight seasickness) for decades. The names Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins are destined to remain pieces of folklore for as long as children want to read Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous book. With it's dastardly plot and motley crew of rogues and villains, it seems unlikely that children will ever say no to this timeless classic. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

An innkeeper's son finds a treasure map that leads him to a pirate's fortune.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437681, 0141321008, 0141035854, 0141331542, 0141194960

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832157, 1907832165

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010078X, 1400108470

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible