Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Robinson Crusoe (1719)

by Daniel Defoe

English (207)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  All (227)
While probably a bit slow and overly detailed by todays standards this is a wonderful tale of a man who rebelled against God and his family and ended up stranded on a deserted island. Most boys who love outdoors and adventure and the idea of surviving with what one can find will probably enjoy this book. Be sure to get an older copy that has not removed the spiritual references and much is said about God the scriptures and man's choice to walk with God or not. The edition I read had wonderful illustrations by Milo Winter which added to our read aloud experience.
  wunderlong88 | Oct 11, 2017 |
I don't think I've ever disliked a book more in my life.

Robinson Crusoe is basically the literary equivalent of stale bread. IT'S SO DAMN DULL, and PAAAINFULLY BORING (at least stale bread still has some nutritional value). I hated it. I hated it with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

I never want to hear of this book ever again. ( )
  fatmashahin | Sep 23, 2017 |
The legend of Robinson Crusoe and his Man Friday are elaborated in the novel and one can understand the appeal. The audiobook is also nicely done. ( )
  charlie68 | Aug 19, 2017 |
A storm at sea... a doomed ship .. a sole survivor... here is Daniel Defoe's immortal tale of a young merchant seaman cast ashore on an uninhabited tropical island, destined to spend 24-years in isolated loneliness.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
To say I hated this book is probably the understatement of the century. In fact, I'm only halfway through the book after six years! I just can't seem to bring myself to buckle down and finish it mainly because the main character is a whiny pompous ass who is just plain dislikeable. I should probably donate this book, but there is still this little part of me that insists on finishing it, although that will most likely never happen. ( )
1 vote TrasFavoritePastime | Jun 29, 2017 |
Defoe Complicates Ethics in Early Novels: Developing Moral Tolerance in 18th C. London

Defoe, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.
Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

Daniel Defoe relates the tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. An ordinary man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

On a desolate tropical island, a shipwrecked British seaman tries to master his hostile environment and remain civilized.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,658,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible