Walden (1854)

by Henry David Thoreau

12,316157410 (3.84)2 / 412
First published in 1854, Henry David Thoreau's groundbreaking book has influenced generations of readers and continues to inspire and inform anyone with an open mind and a love of nature. With Bill McKibben providing a newly revised Introduction and helpful annotations that place Thoreau firmly in his role as cultural and spiritual seer, this beautiful edition of "Walden" for the new millennium is more accessible and relevant than ever.… (more)

English (144)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (163)
This book connects to my human experience immeasurably. If you grew up in a conservative Christian environment the book will perhaps lead to a born-again experience and a baptism and resurrection to new life apart form popular forms of American religion. Thoreau's relationship with the divine is beyond the piety of any Christian I've met and the his wisdom pours out everywhere, like a new Jesus preaching the kingdom of heaven to come on earth. A man of deep spiritual insight into the natural world of all sorts of animals, especially of human animals, Thoreau recounts the insights he learned while living in the woods for a short time and rejecting common social conventions. Spirituality here is connected to the earth from whence it was created. Nothing is free of criticism, especially not even the pro-next, anti-this, life Christian religion. If you like this book, you might want to get a hold of "A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers" by the same author. ( )
  s_grace | May 15, 2022 |
"I am not responsible for the successful working of the machinery of society." ( )
  roseandisabella | Mar 18, 2022 |
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
I love this book and have read it many times, I don't believe that any other book I've read has had as much influence over me. I remember reading it for the first time and just feeling that I knew exactly that what Thoreau was saying was true. A real minimalist before his time, not just for his economy however he knew how to spend the time that he had gained, luckily he realized this early in life as he didn't have nearly enough time. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
I do not propose to write an ode to dejection,
but to brag as lustily as chanticleer in the morning,
standing on his roost,
if only to wake my neighbors up.
- Henry D. Thoreau

I'm not a professional, but to me, it was a great work of literature and I enjoyed it's subtle language. It's not an easy work to read and it may feel boring at times when Thoreau goes on to sketch the very fine detail of all phenomena, but there is some beauty to that same fine grained penning.

I personally love the idea of living in nature, so perhaps I felt quite acquainted with Thoreau.

I picked the book up after watching 'Into The Wild', a movie on life of Christopher McCandless, who reads this book throughout and is heavily inspired by it. ( )
  mdibaiee | Sep 23, 2021 |

Contains

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

I do not propose to write an ode to dejection, but to brag as lustily as chanticleer in the morning, standing on his roost, if only to wake my neighbors up.
When I wrote the following pages, or rather the bulk of them, I lived alone, in the woods, a mile from any neighbor, in a house which I built myself, on the shore of Walden Pond, in Concord, Massachusetts, and earned my living by the labor of my two hand only.
We are wont to forget that the sun looks on our cultivated fields and on the prairies and forests without distinction. They all reflect and absorb his rays alike, and the former make but a small part of the glorious picture which he beholds in his daily course. In his view the earth is all equally cultivated like a garden. Therefore we should receive the benefit of his light and heat with a corresponding trust and magnanimity.
wherever a man goes, men will pursue and paw him with their dirty institutions, and, if they can, constrain him to belong to their desperate odd-fellow society.
Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes.
Only "Walden" - please don't combine with any edition containing other works as well.

Originally published in 1854, Walden, or Life in the Woods, is a vivid account of the time that Henry D. Thoreau lived alone in a secluded cabin at Walden Pond. It is one of the most influential and compelling books in American literature.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Henry David Thoreau's book Walden: With an Introduction and Annotations by Bill McKibben was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,927,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible