HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

An Autobiography: the Story of My…
Loading...

An Autobiography: the Story of My Experiments with Truth

by Mahatma Gandhi

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,715313,226 (3.99)34
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 34 mentions

English (30)  French (1)  All languages (31)
Showing 1-5 of 30 (next | show all)
2006-11-11 15:59:00
Surprised by Ghandi's ideas...
"Though violence is not lawful, when it is offered in self-defence or for the defence of the defenseless, it is an act of bravery far better than cowardly submission. The latter befits neither man nor woman. Under violence, there are many stages and varieties of bravery. Every man must judge this for himself. No other person can or has the right. (H, 27-10-1946, pp369-70)"
de: http://www.mkgandhi.org/momgandhi/momindex.htm

"Exploitation of the poor can be extinguished not by effecting the destruction of a few millionaires, but by removing the ignorance of the poor and teaching them to non-co-operate with their exploiters. That will convert the exploiters also. I have even suggested that ultimately it will lead to both being equal partners. Capital as such is not evil; it is the wrong use that is evil. Capital in some form or other will always be needed. (H, 28-7-1940, p. 219)"
--and on trust...
"Trust
It is true that I have often been let down. Many have deceived me and many have been found wanting. But I do not repent of my association with them. For I know how to non-co-operate, as I know how to co-operate. The most practical, the most dignified way of going on in the world is to take people at their word, when you have no positive reason to the contrary. fr. pg. 101
Read, Write, Dream, Teach !

ShiraDest
19 February, 12016 HE
( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Este libro necesitaba un editor, entiendo por qué Ghandi decidió no tener uno, dada su fijación con la verdad pero eso no quita que el libro necesita un editor.

Todo lo que Ghandi piensa e hizo es muy interesante, pero también se va por las tangentes mencionando gente y lugares y cosas que solo le importan a él, lo que hace al libro muy pesado y te saca las ganas de leer de a ratos.

Dejando eso de lado el libro me hizo pensar igual, y si bien no voy s recordar los nombres de la gente con la que Ghandi trabajó espero por lo menos recordar sus principios.

Ghandi de chico era muy tímido, no el tipo de persona que esperarías llegar a ser, bueno, Mahatma Ghandi! Pero sin embargo así y todo llego, porque más allá de su timidez siempre le fue fiel a sus principios y cuando vio que era necesario resistir puso todo su esfuerzo en superar sus propias barreras para luchar por lo que creía correcto.

En estos años escuché bastante sobre la controversialidad de Ghandi y después de leer este libro creo que no puede haber controversia alguna, Ghandi creía en el bien común, el bien del mundo, mucho más que en el bien personal, que en la vida propia, su idea de que los judios tendrían que haberse sacrificado no pasaba por antisemitismo ni nada por el estilo, sino más bien el hecho de que tantos judios igual murieron, Ghandi tomaba el suicidio en este caso como un ejemplo de Satyagraha, los judios hubiesen llegado al mismo resultado pero sin darles el placer a los nazis, es medio complicado de explicar, sacrificarse antes que dejarse atrapar y matar por el enemigo, se entiende? No coincido con Ghandi pero digo, conociendo uno su filosofía es fácil comprender cómo llegó a dicha conclusión.

Lo mismo se puede decir de que se acostara a dormir con chicas desnudas, Ghandi era raro, muy raro, y sus experimentos eran ridículos, ese fue uno más nomas.

Ghandi cambió el mundo, sin jamás lastimar a nadie, promulgando amor y resistencia pasiva únicamente, como humano erró, también admitió sus errores cuando así los vio, Ghandi no fue perfecto pero fue un gran hombre, y su filosofía debería ser por lo menos conocida por todos, por más que el libro sea pesado definitivamente vale la pena leerlo. ( )
  Rose98 | Jun 22, 2018 |
I totally agree with the reviewers who talk about the boring aspects of this book, about how sorry they feel for his wife and family, about the aspects of his dietary and medical experiments that are excentric, to say the least. His insistence on the importance of avoiding sex for spiritual reasons, and of avoiding meat, milk, and other animal products to help in avoiding even the slightest thought of sex are luckily not going to take hold. Any reader not conversant with Indian history of the early 20th century will need to keep the internet or other reference source handy. The South African parts are easier to follow as he assumes that his reader needs to have that part explained.

However, I had set myself the task of finishing this book, and I have been greatly rewarded, as chapters 39 - 41 deal with spinning, weaving and khadi cloth. For me this was worth having slogged through the rest. Next time I'll just read those chapters.

This has not reduced my respect for Gandhiji, but it has reinforced my impression that I'd I'd rather not have to deal with saints. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Dec 31, 2017 |
I simply gave up around page 300.

I didn't know much about Gandhi except that he was a pacifist and helped free India. So I wanted to find out more about him. What better way than to read the man's own words about his life? So I went in with vim and vigor, ready to learn.

I got bogged down in details that didn't mean anything to me [he wrote about current Indian authority figures like I might toss off a comment about Britney Spears].

He routinely came across as a complete prick, ie, he would almost scold the reader to do, or not do, some particular line of action simply because he, Gandhi, recommended it.[this is/was a time period thing. I've read several other pieces of non-fiction by like people from that time and it is just how they write. Still pisses me off though]. He also had no problems denying people the same benefits that he had had[college, job opportunities, etc] if the alternative was an experiential" growing thing-ie, he denied formal education to his children because he thought they would be better off simply "knowing" people and how life worked.

He routinely acted like an authority on a subject that he had an interest in, based upon 1 or 2 instances-ie, he decries doctors, and then goes on to talk about a plague that he helped deal with and how he used some alternative medicine [doctors and him were both ineffective in that case]. It was not a case of "I found X to work for me and if you feel like it, you can try it", it really came across more as "I like X, you should use X too. It might work, it might not, but it is better than anything else".

False humility? This one I'm not sure of to be honest. He comes across as very humble in many instances, but there are flashes of extreme arrogance or ignoring certain facts that made me really wonder just how much his writing hid. Given, we all self-deceive to one degree or another [and in most cases, it isn't purposeful, we humans are simply blind to our own faults], but for a self-professed "seeker of truth" to say some of the things he did, it did not jive with humility.
But that is the kind of thing you cannot accurately judge unless you've met the person.

His wife. His poor, poor, wife. I don't know if she should be considered a saint for putting up with Gandhi, or what. Abandoned for months or years at a time while he pursues social equality in South Africa [for Indians], constantly told that material possessions are meaningless, that sex has no part in love, and in a nutshell, told that anything she wants must be subsumed to the greater good of the Indian Cause.

And that is the main reason I stopped reading. Gandhi seems to advocate the collective over the individual. And he was a prick and wicked boring. Now I am completely disillusioned with him.

I predict it will be years before I attempt another autobiography of anyone after this." ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Gandhi stands as one of the most politically admirable personalities EVER, and this book shows us why. A bit of bore in parts, it nevertheless details his struggles and use of nonviolent demonstrations to liberate his country. Not a book to read for fun, but a necessary one to educate oneself. For all of his faults, he is one of my biggest heroes of all time. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 30 (next | show all)
It illumines with candor all the developing phases of a great spirit
 

» Add other authors (13 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Gandhi, Mahatmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bok, SisselaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Desai, Mahadev H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
The Gandhis belong to the Bania caste and seem to have been originally grocers.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (4)

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0807059099, Paperback)

Gandhi's nonviolent struggles in South Africa and India had already brought him to such a level of notoriety, adulation, and controversy that when asked to write an autobiography midway through his career, he took it as an opportunity to explain himself. Although accepting of his status as a great innovator in the struggle against racism, violence, and, just then, colonialism, Gandhi feared that enthusiasm for his ideas tended to exceed a deeper understanding. He says that he was after truth rooted in devotion to God and attributed the turning points, successes, and challenges in his life to the will of God. His attempts to get closer to this divine power led him to seek purity through simple living, dietary practices (he called himself a fruitarian), celibacy, and ahimsa, a life without violence. It is in this sense that he calls his book The Story of My Experiments with Truth, offering it also as a reference for those who would follow in his footsteps. A reader expecting a complete accounting of his actions, however, will be sorely disappointed.

Although Gandhi presents his episodes chronologically, he happily leaves wide gaps, such as the entire satyagraha struggle in South Africa, for which he refers the reader to another of his books. And writing for his contemporaries, he takes it for granted that the reader is familiar with the major events of his life and of the political milieu of early 20th-century India. For the objective story, try Yogesh Chadha's Gandhi: A Life. For the inner world of a man held as a criminal by the British, a hero by Muslims, and a holy man by Hindus, look no further than these experiments. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:52 -0400)

(see all 7 descriptions)

Portrays the life of Gandhi, describes the development of his nonviolent political protest movement, and discusses his religious beliefs.

» see all 14 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.99)
0.5
1 5
1.5 2
2 25
2.5 6
3 47
3.5 14
4 115
4.5 10
5 126

Beacon Press

An edition of this book was published by Beacon Press.

» Publisher information page

Penguin Australia

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141186860, 0141032731

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

» Publisher information page

Fitzhenry & Whiteside

An edition of this book was published by Fitzhenry & Whiteside.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,157,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible