The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David…

The Swiss Family Robinson (1812)

by Johann David Wyss, Johann Rudolf Wyss

About as exciting as reading the user manual for a vacuum cleaner. Either way, you're constantly thinking to yourself, 'Well, this sucks.' ( )
  raykhenberg | Sep 20, 2018 |
198/600
disgrace of a book
the only purchase i repented ( )
  Drfreddy94 | Jul 17, 2018 |
This mostly just annoyed me that I'd chosen to read it over its basis, Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. I blame Disney World.

"But in reality, the more there was to do the better. I never ceased contriving fresh improvements, being fully aware of the importance of constant employment as a means of strengthening and maintaining the health of mind and body. This, indeed, with a consciousness of continual progress toward a desirable end, is found to constitute the main element of happiness."

^The moral of Wyss's story, with which I agree, but am incapable of appreciating in such a fantastically providential manner. I think I've always been too old for this amount of good fortune. ( )
  dandelionroots | Mar 31, 2018 |
I read this aloud to my children and they enjoyed it once the action got going. I think they were a bit credulous at the way the survivors managed so well on the island, yet it was fun to read anyway. Besides, that was one of their favorite places at Disney Land, though I think it has been changed now to something more modern. Loved the discussion in the book of the things seaweed is good for and its various properties. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | Dec 13, 2017 |
After seeing the 1960 movie version many times we decided to read the book. The Robinsons appeared to have found paradise on their deserted island and it is a great adventure indeed.
What children (especially boys) wouldn't enjoy daydreaming about life with the Swiss family on their lovely island? While great fun this survival story can get a bit tedious with it's long descriptions of flora and fauna.
  wunderlong88 | Oct 11, 2017 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Has as a student's study guide

For many days we had been tempest-tossed.
The tempest had lasted six long and terrible days.
The storm had lasted for six days - and even then, far from subsiding, it seemed to gather even greater fury. (Audrey Butler version)
Actually edited and completed by Johann Rudolf Wyss. His father, Johann David Wyss, wrote the story.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529618, Mass Market Paperback)

The 200th Anniversary Edition of The Swiss Family Robinson

Swept off course by a raging storm, a Swiss pastor, his wife, and their four young sons are shipwrecked on an uncharted tropical island. Thus begins the classic story of survival and adventure that has fired the imaginations of readers since it first appeared in 1812. With optimism and boundless enthusiasm, the Robinson family undertakes the extraordinary task of constructing a home for themselves and exploring the primitive island filled with strange and beautiful creatures and exotic fruits and plants. Rich in action and suspense, this exhilarating novel takes us to a faraway place of danger and beauty, where the courageous Robinson family embarks on a thrilling new life of adventure and discovery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:14 -0400)

Relates the fortunes of a shipwrecked family as they imaginatively adapt to life on an island with abundant animal and plant life.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143104993, 0141325305

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,921,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible