The Coral Island by R. M. Ballantyne

The Coral Island (1857)

by R. M. Ballantyne

Lord of the Flies by William Golding (SmithSJ01)
    SmithSJ01: The Coral Island was a source of inspiration for Lord of the Flies, Golding wanted to give a more realistic account.
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (Cecrow)

Very dated nontheless quite a good read ( )
  justmum | Oct 27, 2016 |
A member of the Boys Stranded on a Deserted Island genre, this one rolls along pretty well, although it gets surprisingly dark toward the end. Still, a fun-enough read. ( )
  electrascaife | Aug 30, 2016 |
A great little adventure story. One that anyone who likes to read, should read. Ballantyne has many more worth reading - Martin Rattler, Sunk at Sea, The Young Fur Traders, and The Dog Crusoe and His Master, just to name a few.

Garrison0550 | May 5, 2016 |
I must admit I got into this crazy mid-Victorian jingoistic evangelical boy's adventure story. ( )
  ChrisNewton | Mar 18, 2016 |
A great boys book about a few boys shipwrecked on an island. Kind of a cross between Treasure Island and Robinson Crusoe. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
Roving has always been, and still is, my ruling passion, the joy of my heart, the very sunshine of my existence.
I was surrounded on all sides by human beings of the most dreadful character, to whom the shedding of blood was mere pastime. On shore were the natives, whose practices were so horrible that I could not think of them without shuddering. On board were none but pirates of the blackest dye, who, although not cannibals, were foul murderers, and more blameworthy even than the savages, inasmuch as they knew better.
We had no difficulty now in managing our sails, for Jack was heavy and powerful, while Peterkin was active as a kitten. Still, however, we were a very insufficient crew for such a vessel, and if any one had proposed to us to make such a voyage in it before we had been forced to go through so many hardships from necessity, we would have turned away with pity from the individual making such proposal as from a madman. I pondered this a good deal, and at last concluded that men do not know how much they are capable of doing till they try, and that we should never give way to despair in any undertaking, however difficult it may seem:—always supposing, however, that our cause is a good one, and that we can ask the divine blessing on it.

When the three sailor lads, Ralph, Jack and Peterkin are cast ashore after the storm, their first task is to find out whether the island is inhabited. Their next task is to find a way of staying alive. They go hunting and learn to fish, explore underwater caves and build boats - but then their island paradise is rudely disturbed by the arrival of pirates.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:19 -0400)

YA. This story tells of three young sailors, sole survivors of a wreck, and their discovery of the enchanting beauties of the South Pacific. They learn how to live on their tropical paradise but then they are swept into adventures with bloodthirsty pirates, before sailing back to England. Idealised castaway story that inspired Golding's Lord of the Flies. 11 yrs+… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,502,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible