King Solomon's Mines (1885)

by Henry Rider Haggard

Series: Allan Quatermain (11)

Allan Quatermain relates the events of his safari into the interior of South Africa in search of the legendary lost treasure mines of King Solomon.
    Hunter Quatermain's Story: The Uncollected Adventures of Allan Quartermain by H. Rider Haggard (MinaKelly)
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Rynooo, Polenth)
    The Man Who Would Be King [short story] by Rudyard Kipling (mcenroeucsb)
    A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These novels have some similar plot elements.
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 1 by Alan Moore (LKAYC)

English (107)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (116)
This book is over a hundred years old. The language and pacing feel relatively modern compared to other books of the same period. There are some words and attitudes that are not 100% politically correct but Quartermain has much more respect for African cultures and individuals than most people of his time, and probably more than many people of today. I am about halfway through the book, reading a free edition on my ipad mini. Some of the plot twists seem obvious, but that may be because they have been copied by others over the years. I would definitely recommend reading this book over much of the adventure fiction out there. It is much better that Michael Crichton's Congo which is obviously a rip off, or more politely an "updating" or "homage" of this book. It would also appeal to people who liked "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" which shares the main character.

I wrote a criticism that Haggard uses an eclipse as part of the plot, probably copying Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court. Twain published his story later. Haggard probably got the idea from Christopher Columbus who also used a lunar eclipse to scare the natives. ( )
  mgplavin | Oct 3, 2021 |
The book, King Solomon Mines by Henry Rider Haggard is my first Classic Adventure Fiction and the plot is mind blowing. The author has not missed a single point of detail starting from Africa, its rich heritage and also the characters.

I would totally recommend the book for everyone if you want to know what an adventure is like. Although, the plot is set in a fictional place in Africa, but everything seems so real.

Read full review on bibliophileverse.blogspot.com ( )
  Sucharita1986 | Sep 25, 2021 |
I read it as a child and I loved it. Now, as an adult, the racism and patronizing is hard to miss or to forget. ( )
  Pindarix | Jul 15, 2021 |
I found a free Kindle download for Allan Quatermain, this novel's sequel, and started reading it. When I realized it was a sequel, I dug this off the shelf it's been on for years and years, and finally gave it a read. And wow, was it fun! It's also completely surprising that it works: The narrator and main character, hunter Quatermain himself, is 55 years old at the start of the book, and describes himself at various point as "rather timid", "abhorrent of violence", and "a bit of a coward". But despite that, he leads Sir Henry Curtis and Captain Good, two chance-met British companions and a crew of hired natives into the heart of Africa, in hopes of finding Curtis's brother, who'd gone off some time before in search of a vast, rumored treasure. A marvelous pulp adventure is the result.

This book was written over 100 years ago, so it's inevitable that some of its assumptions and attitudes won't sit comfortably with modern readers. But I that that, for it's time, it's actually quite progressive. The white colonials develop respect for, and genuine friendship with, one of the natives with whom they travel. There's even an interracial relationship, to which Quatermain objects, but only for the trouble it would cause were the couple to return to England.

I kick myself for not reading this years ago. It was a true delight. ( )
  JohnNienart | Jul 11, 2021 |
I read this book as a child, many, many years ago, but could remember little more than the title. The book is mentioned in Getting of Wisdom, and I took the hint, and have re-read the book.
It was first published in 1885 and is set in Southern Africa. It is full of that instinctive racism and bombast of the British in the Victorian era, but has a rollicking tale to tell - something like a cross between Rudyard Kipling and John Buchan.
The plot abounds in implausibility, but it is still an enjoyable read. The bigotry is harder to swallow, but it paints an informative picture of British colonial society of the time. ( )
  mbmackay | Jul 1, 2021 |

Pérez Rilo, RicardoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stephens, TobyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitear, A.R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This faithful but unpretending record
of a remarkable adventure
is hereby respectfully dedicated
by the narrator,
ALLAN QUATERMAIN
to all the big and little boys
who read it.
It is a curious thing that at my age--fifty-five last birthday--I should find myself taking up a pen to try to write history.
Introduction:
Now that this book is printed, and about to be given to the world, a sense of its shortcomings both in style and contents, weighs very heavily upon me.
This is the main work for King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, omnibus containing other works, etc.

One of the best-selling novels of the nineteenth century, King Solomon’s Mines has inspired dozens of adventure stories, including Edgar Rice Burroughs’s Tarzan books and the Indiana Jones movies. Vivid and enormously action-packed, H. Rider Haggard’s tale of danger and discovery continues to shock and thrill, as it has since it was first presented to the public and heralded as “the most amazing book ever written.”

The story begins when renowned safari hunter Allan Quartermain agrees to help Sir Henry Curtis and Captain John Good search for King Solomon’s legendary cache of diamonds. Eager to find out what is true, what is myth, and what is really buried in the darkness of the mines, the tireless adventurers delve into the Sahara’s treacherous Veil of Sand, where they stumble upon a mysterious lost tribe of African warriors. Finding themselves in deadly peril from that country’s cruel king and the evil sorceress who conspires behind his throne, the explorers escape, but what they seek could be the most savage trap of all—the forbidden, impenetrable, and spectacular King Solomon’s Mines.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,501,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible