The Man Who Would Be King [short story] by…

The Man Who Would Be King [short story] (1888)

by Rudyard Kipling

English (11)  French (2)  All languages (13)
Should I have been looking for some parallel to the ongoing situation in the -stan's? Or just enjoy the story? ( )
  Elpaca | May 1, 2013 |
Is it wrong for me to say that I thought the movie was better? Generally I don't find this to be the case, but perhaps this was one place where the exception proved the rule. Still it's a great tale that I do remember enjoying...maybe if I had read it before seeing the movie I wouldn't have felt this way. It just seemed to me that the movie was actually a bit more fleshed out in a few areas of plot and character than the story was. ( )
  dulac3 | Apr 2, 2013 |
This is a short book. I saw the movie years ago, starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine. I thought that the movie was brilliant.
This book, short that it is, packs in a punch.
It is rich in imagery, it is rich in style. Not one word is wasted.
You are left thinking deeply about the imaginary events that would have taken place in the mountains of Afghanistan.
It is a story of megalomania, it is a story of superstition. It is a painting cast in words.
It's a story for a lost time, yet one that is alive today. ( )
  RajivC | Dec 6, 2012 |
I was slightly dissapointed with the length of this book having seen the film .normaly large portions of a book are cut out to make a film ,here howeverthe filmbuilt on the books plot,much the same as the legend of sleepy hollow.
  armysparkey | Oct 13, 2012 |
A story of adventure or misadventure as the case may be. A traveling man meets two other traveling men. Upon the first one returning back to work, the other two show up and tell him of their plans to become Kings. Many months pass and late one night one of the two returns and tells the story of how they became Kings. ( )
  Ellens_ESO | Apr 20, 2012 |

Rudyard Kiplingprimary authorall editionscalculated
PhilippaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is not a collection of short stories, but works containing only the title story.  Please do not combine it with any collections.

Swashbuckling British adventurers find triumph and tragedy in nineteenth-century Afghanistan in this novella J. M. Barrie called "the most audacious thing in fiction." While on tour in India, a British journalist encounters Daniel Dravot and Peachey Carnehan, two foolhardy drifters with a plan. Claiming they've exhausted all the schemes and odd jobs they could find in India, the two are in search of an even greater adventure. They tell the journalist they're venturing to nearby Kafiristan-modern-day Afghanistan-to depose a weak ruler and establish themselves as kings. With a cache of the best rifles and knowledge of Masonic rituals that will baffle the native tribesmen, Daniel and Peachey don't see how they can fail. But they may have underestimated the locals ... Inspired by tales of real-life explorers, Rudyard Kipling wrote The Man Who Would Be King when he was only twenty-two years old. Featuring vivid prose, exotic settings, and unforgettable characters, this dissection of the heroic pretensions of imperialism and colonialism is a swashbuckling tale for the ages, and served as inspiration for the 1975 John Huston film starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine.… (more)

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,623,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible