The Eyre Affair (2001)

by Jasper Fforde

Series: Thursday Next (1)

14,865588311 (3.98)3 / 1166
There is another 1985, somewhere in the could-have-been, where dodos are regenerated in home-cloning kits and everyone is disappointed by the ending of Jane Eyre. But in this world there are policemen who can travel across time, a Welsh republic - and a woman called Thursday Next.
Recently added bynzfriend, Melline, private library, J.Flux, mysterysf, TracyK22, alexandria2021
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Kerian)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (coliemta)
    coliemta: One's more literary and the other more science-fiction-y, but they're both bizarre, hilarious and similar in feel. Most people who like one will enjoy the other.
    Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (flonor)
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (sanddancer)
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (simon_carr)
    simon_carr: Similar light hearted style and 'book travelling' rather than time travelling but chances are if you like one then you'll like the other.
    Aberystwyth Mon Amour by Malcolm Pryce (ten_floors_up)
    ten_floors_up: This and the other books in the Aberystwyth series share a specifically British alternative universe, and a dollop of entertainingly twisted literary pastiche.
    Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron by Jasper Fforde (shallihavemydwarf)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (TomWaitsTables)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (ShelfMonkey)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (lauranav)
    lauranav: The Eyre Affair has a great scene of an anger management session in Wuthering Heights!
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: While one is about travelling through time and the other about travelling through books, the atmosphere of these book (series) is very similar, with a strong female lead and a crazy set of side characters.
    The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry (Katie.Loughlin)
    Katie.Loughlin: The two books have very similar flavor, but The Manual of Detection is a darker fantasy novel.
    The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by H. G. Parry (timtom)
    timtom: If you wish more literary characters escaped the pages of their books to mingle in our own contemporary reality, head to Wellington, New Zealand where Dickensian villains might just about destroy everything...
    Schrödinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (TomWaitsTables)
    Beforelife by Randal Graham (ShelfMonkey)
    The D. Case: Or The Truth About The Mystery Of Edwin Drood by Carlo Fruttero (jonathankws)
    Never the Bride by Paul Magrs (jonathankws)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books but they will be difficult to find at your library.… (more)

English (570)  French (6)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (586)
Campy, humorous, so far-fetched that there is no necessity to try to find logic or believability anywhere in it. Just for fun, for sure. I can't imagine reading a second volume of this stuff, but once was fine. I think you would have to know and love Jane Eyre to appreciate this, but then I would not be surprised if die-hard Eyre fans might be insulted by seeing their favorite used in such a light manner.

I really fell right in the middle...didn't love it, didn't hate it...so I gave it a middle of the road rating. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
I'm throwing in the towel at page 236. We've had some good times, but I think we both know we aren't right for each other.

The Eyre Affair is clever and amusing. It is also a cozy mystery with an emphasis on wit and shallow characters. Simply not my cup of tea. It is, however, quite well written.

If you would enjoy a humorous cozy mystery with a fantasy twist, you will love this.

On a side note, I'm really glad I read Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron before I read this. It's a completely different style and I love it. People who feel as I do about this particular book may want to try some of Jasper Fforde's other work. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Aug 8, 2022 |
This was a fun read. It was a study in contrasts: intelligent, yet light and fun; provided a lot of somewhat obscure literary references, yet very accessible. Most of all it was eclectic, well-written and unique. It makes you want to read more in the Thursday Next series. I highly recommend it! ( )
  dresdon | Aug 5, 2022 |
As a bookaholic I really liked the premise of this novel. It sounded really fun that a reader could pop into a novel, or that a character could leap out from the pages. But with a few exceptions (like the changing of Jane Eyre or literary fans rioting on the streets) I found it a largely tedious read. Probably because as with Pratchett’s novels I can appreciate the inventiveness but am left feeling emotionally indifferent. ( )
  LARA335 | Jul 24, 2022 |
I've had this book on my reader for a remarkably long time and finally got to reading it. I'm not sure why it took so long as it hits all my sweet spots: alternate history, time travel, absurdity, and Jane Eyre. I'm happy I finally got there as this is a delicious romp.
Thursday Next lives in an alternate England where the Crimean War is still dragging on and time travel is ordinary. She works for a specialized unit that deals with book crimes, so she's called in when the original manuscript for Martin Chuzzlewit is stolen by an archvillain. What follows is a chase to capture Archeron Hades, the villain, all over England and the literary landscape. Oh, and England and Wales are also at war, Wales having gained its independence years ago.
Thursday is a wonderful character. She's a veteran of the Crimean War and a failed romance when the love of her life testifies that her brother erred in a battle during the war. She's smart and a bit sassy while able to argue the merits of who wrote Shakespeare's plays.
The Eyre Affair is delightful, and I already have the next book in the series to read. While I'll be disappointed if Mr. Rochester doesn't appear, I look forward to where Tuesday goes next. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Jul 18, 2022 |
Fforde wears the marks of his literary forebears proudly on his sleeve, from Lewis Carroll and Wodehouse to Douglas Adams and Monty Python, in both inventiveness and sense of fun.
added by Katya0133 | editYale Review, David Galef (Oct 1, 2008)

Fforde delivers almost every sentence with a sly wink, and he's got an easy way with wordplay, trivia and inside jokes. ''The Eyre Affair'' can be too clever by half, and fiction like this is certainly an acquired taste, but Fforde's verve is rarely less than infectious.

A good editor might have trimmed away some of the annoying padding of this novel and helped the author to assimilate his heavy borrowings from other artists, but no matter: by the end of the novel, Mr. Fforde has, however belatedly, found his own exuberant voice.

THE EYRE AFFAIR is mostly a collection of jokes, conceits and puzzles. It's smart, frisky and sheer catnip for former English majors....And some of the jokes are clever indeed.
added by Shortride | editSalon, Laura Miller (Jan 24, 2002)

Dark, funny, complex, and inventive, THE EYRE AFFAIR is a breath of fresh air and easily one of the strongest debuts in years.
added by jburlinson | editLocus, Jonathan Strahan (Aug 1, 2001)

Fforde, Jasperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
John Standish Fforde
1920-2000

Who never knew I was to be published but would have been most proud nonetheless
—and not a little surprised.
My father had a face that could stop a clock.
The barriers between reality and fiction are softer than we think; a bit like a frozen lake. Hundreds of people can walk across it, but then one evening a thin spot develops and someone falls through; the hole is frozen over by the following morning. (Victor to Thursday)
Governments and fashions come and go but Jane Eyre is for all time.
It was a glorious sunny day, and the airship droned past the small puffy clouds that punctuated the sky like a flock of aerial sheep.
He wore thick glasses and mismatched clothes and his face was a moonscape of healed acne.
"You shot him six times in the face."
The dying killer smiled.
"That I remember."
"Six times! Why?"
Felix7 frowned and started to shiver.
"Six was all I had," he answered simply.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,782,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible