The Tragedy of Richard the Third by William…

The Tragedy of Richard the Third

by William Shakespeare

4,604601,528 (4)195
    The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: This is a mystery involving Richard III and the two princes in the tower, and seems to have garnered a bit of respect. It's a great read on its own, and would make a great companion read to Shakespeare's Richard III.
    The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England by Dan Jones (aquariumministry)
    Yorkists: The History of a Dynasty by Anne Crawford (KayCliff)
    We Speak No Treason by Rosemary Hawley Jarman (KayCliff)

English (55)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (60)
Richard III is the final play in Shakespeare’s history cycle that covers the kings of England from Richard II to Richard III. It follows Richard in his plot to wrest the throne from Edward IV and culminates in his defeat at Bosworth Field.

I think for me, this is a play that works better on the stage. A lot of the action happens offstage and the play is rather talky, sort of like how I found Julius Caesar. Also, I kept getting confused by the female characters’ relationship to each other and to the other characters in the play. For that reason, the stage adaptation (or a TV adaptation, such as The Hollow Crown) would work better for me.

I also came into this play somewhat skeptical of the historical accuracy; the Holinshed Chronicles, upon which the play was based, had a pro-Tudor slant, so while we did get glimpses into Richard’s psyche, he was very much a mustache-twirling villain for me and it didn’t really work. Again, this is where a stage adaptation would help: I utterly bought Benedict Cumberbatch’s portrayal of Richard, especially because he does a good antihero. Also, after reading Dan Jones’s book about the fall of the Plantagenets and the rise of the Tudors, I had a fresher picture of the period and couldn’t really immerse myself in the view that Tudor = good and York = bad.

The play is certainly worth a try if you like the history plays and not too much violence (it was actually written after Titus Andronicus, which from what I hear is the most violent of Shakespeare’s plays), but I’d suggest watching an adaptation first so you have characters to picture. Either the Benedict Cumberbatch one or the Ian McKellen one would do the job nicely. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Apr 7, 2019 |
By far the most evil character in any Shakespeare plays that I have read. Hard to keep track of all the Edward's and Richard's and the female characters. I think it is pretty tightly scripted, prob because it has real historically characters. Never fails to amaze me how former allies turn to enemies in the course of history. Sorry I waited so long to read this one.

Historically accurate it is not. Asimov's Shakespeare books are a good supplement, as well as Harold Bloom. ( )
  delta351 | Mar 7, 2019 |
The Josephine Tey book I just finished got me interested in Richard III. At the same time, I've been meaning to read some Shakespeare, and since I've never read The Tragedy of KR III it seems like a good place to start. I seldom read Shakespeare but I always enjoy it when I do. I remember loving a Shakespeare class at BYU. I took it summer term from Nan Grass, and some sessions we met in her family cabin in Provo Canyon--Vivian Park for those who know it. Great memories! ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Annette Bening,Jim Broadbent
  Lonarae47 | Nov 4, 2018 |
Richard, you hero, you villain. I am not sure how I feel about this play, I might have done a bad reading of it originally. But I am enraptured with Richard III any way. He did great things for the poor, he murdered children. He was the last King to die on the battlefield, he wasn't a legitimate King anyway. Sly, cunning, vicious and ambitious, Richard III is coming close to taking Macbeth away as my favourite Shakespeare. ( )
  adaorhell | Aug 24, 2018 |

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a student's study guide

Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this son of York,
And all the clouds that loured upon our house
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
An honest tale speeds best, being plainly told.
True hope is swift, and flies with swallow's wings;

Kings it makes gods, and meaner creatures kings.
A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!
This work is for the complete King Richard III only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or "simplifications" (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.
This director's playbook contains the script of the play in wide format, with fifty square inches of blank space for sketching in ideas for each scene or part of scene, the main action, costumes, sets. Plus glossary for obscure words or references, separate sections to be filled in for director and staff, budget, timeline, program, publicity, pre-production, audition or casting, set design, costumes, props, lighting, sound, stage manager.
The playbook is designed for high schools and colleges, but anyone with a budget, a cast and crew could benefit by keeping track of all the components needed for a theatrical production. Also, a link to customized scripts for all major roles. www.createspace.com/3962607
Eleven other Shakespeare plays are available in this unique format.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743482840, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Phyllis Rackin

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

Contains the text of the play, information about Shakespeare and his theater, explanatory notes, and assesses the play in light of today's interests.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714839, 0141013036

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,148,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible