The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

The City of Dreaming Books (2004)

by Walter Moers

Series: Zamonia (4), Zamonien (4)

The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde (bell7)
    bell7: Similarly a zany tale with literary references and footnotes.
    The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (emdot)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (ShelfMonkey)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Thursday Next: First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Funny, fantasy/alternative celebrations of books and writers and the magical worlds they create.
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (54)  German (16)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (77)
Cute, whimsical, young dinosaur with authorial aspirations goes to the city of publishing and antiquarian bookshops, there's a dark underbelly of the city in which old editions are being destroyed by time, damp, Amontillado-minded hoarders, and armored Indiana-Jones-wannabes, the whole place reeks of mold aboveground and below, there's a sinister holdover society of post-alchemists who have a tasteless version of a golem in their highly nonlinear history, and petulant dinos hurling rare editions around in a bookshop is something unattractive female antiquarian specialists can't do anything about. Also critics live in hovels, agents are disposable idiots with no discernment for anything other than pastries, and publishers are embittered crooks. Conflagrations in which creations destroy creators as well as vast libraries and entire civilizations are sufficiently answered by the inspiration of a solitary trope-pumper and the threat of more books in a series. If you love books and would like to read a magical bibliophilia tale, feel free to contact me for a list of several thousand stories in which at least one of the characters actually shares your sentiments. This novel isn't on it. ( )
  Nialle | Sep 12, 2018 |
It'd been a while since I read this, so I picked it up again, and, as it was my third time reading it, decided to annotate it. This was a fun one, especially because of the illustrations. I colored some of them!

Yes, if you didn't know, this is a book for adults, with illustrations! Moers is a fantastic illustrator and his drawings really bring life to his work.

If you like books about books, fantastical settings, crazy (and sometimes scary) creatures and books that just plain feel magical when you read them, I can't recommend this book enough! It's set in a city that's absolutely devoted to books! I can't fathom why someone who loves books wouldn't want to read it, if only to daydream about visiting such a city.

I'll never shut up about how underrated this book is. Please, give it a shot! It's quirky and funny and sad and magical and inspiring and I just love it, ok!? ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jul 4, 2018 |
A very clever and inventive and imaginative book but it never quite reached out and grabbed me. There was alot of clever word play on authors and their works but it felt like a book for writers not for readers somehow.
  amyem58 | Mar 6, 2018 |
Some nice ideas here but not as good as the first two books. Maybe having it set in one place was the key difference. ( )
  polarbear123 | Jun 4, 2016 |
Just fantastic! ( )
  AR_bookbird | Jan 24, 2016 |

Moers, WalterAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brownjohn, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sáenz, MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where shadows dim with shadows mate in caverns deep and dark, where old books dream of bygone days when they were wood and bark, where diamonds from coal are born and no birds ever sing, that region is the dread domain ruled by the Shadow King.
Second part, in Dutch:
Gestapeld uit Boek op Boeken - Verlaten, vergeven van de Vloeken- Omzoomd door dode Ramen - Bewoond door allerlei Spoken tezamen - Bezocht door vreemde Dieren - Van leer en van papieren - Een Oord van Waan en Geschal - Geheten Slot Schaduwhal.
This is where my story begins.
Van de sterren komen we, Naar de sterren komen we terug. - Het leven is slechts een reis in de vreemde. "

From the stars we come, To the stars we 'll come back. Life is just a journey outside/ to the unknown. "

Optimus Yarnspinner inherits a manuscript by an unknown writer. To track down the author, he goes to Bookholm, the City of Dreaming Books, where book-related attractions abound.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,947,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible