Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies…

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (1990)

by Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman

25,68959774 (4.27)2 / 1171
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (ShelfMonkey)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (flonor)
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (yokai, jscape2000)
    jscape2000: These authors revel in taking the things you think you know, turning them sideways and shaking them.
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (elbakerone)
    The Gates by John Connolly (midnightbex)
    midnightbex: Dealing with a similar end of the world theme, The Gates tells an entirely different but equally hilarious story about the apocalypse. As an added bonus, there is also the occasional amusing and often diverting foot note to look forward to.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (NatalieAsIs)
    A Sudden Wild Magic by Diana Wynne Jones (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These two books share a certain cheeky darkness and both have fantastic eccentric characters and wildly inventive plots
    Small Gods by Terry Pratchett (electronicmemory)
    A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Gaiman has acknowledged his debt to Zelanzy. It echoes in Good Omens.
    The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (brakketh)
    brakketh: British humor and modern approach to myths.
    Breakfast with the Ones You Love by Eliot Fintushel (octopedingenue)
    Barking Mad: A Reginald Spiffington Mystery by Jamieson Ridenhour (ChillnND)
    ChillnND: I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman style comedy fantasy and I found Barking Mad to be not dissimilar in its level of wit and humor combined with the supernatural/fantasy genre. Barking aims a bit more at good-natured parody of Agatha Christie and similarly styled mysteries. I looked forward to every minute of reading it and hope the author gives us some more Spiffington mysteries.… (more)
    Before and After by Matthew Thomas (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very similiar in theme and quality, but Good Omens is a better book.
    The Damned Busters by Matthew Hughes (hairball)
    hairball: This is kind of an obvious one, but hey! someone has to point out the obvious...
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (electronicmemory)
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (infiniteletters)
    If at Faust You Don't Succeed by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese (Awfki)
    Awfki: Not nearly as good but another humorous take on the apocalypse.
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (LunarEclipse)

1990s (2)
Read (56)

English (575)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (597)
  IlsaK | Jun 12, 2019 |
The world is supposed to end at the end of the week. There is a book of prophecies that foretell it very accurately. We follow along with an angel, a demon, a descendant of the prophetic writer, as well as the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, 4 want-to-be horsemen, the anti-christ and his 3 friends as we move through the week.

The birth of the anti-christ was much anticipated, but the attending satanic nuns were not quite up to the task as the "misplaced" the baby. It turns out he was raised in a rather normal family as a rather normal boy and wasn't terribly satanic after all.

We also discover that our favorite demon and angels like Earth a whole lot more than they expected to like it. They are not sure that this is really the time to end it all. But, can it be stopped?

It reminded me a lot of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy for some reason...

The narrator on Audible does an AMAZING job with the voices. I will be listening to this one again for sure. I enjoyed listening to the book so much, I bought the Kindle version so I could read it all and not miss out on anything. The trouble with the e-book is that the book is filled with all sorts of footnotes. They were all placed at the end of the book, but they had no way to link back to what they were related to. The Audible version just interrupted the reading to say what the footnote said so you didn't miss out. I wish they would have put those notes in parenthesis or something in the Kindle edition. ( )
  Lisa5127 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Re read in June 2019. Still hilarious. ( )
  jscape2000 | Jun 7, 2019 |
This was OK. Not anything super special, but a well told humorous story. ( )
  Schneider | Jun 5, 2019 |
I reread this one so that it would be fresh in my mind for the release of the show. I knew that I loved it, but I'd forgotten the details of that love. Such a great story with fantastic characters. The first time I read it was before I'd ever picked up the first Discworld book, so I didn't really know anything about Pratchett's work. This time though I'm now over halfway through the Discworld series and it's wonderful to see how most of these characters would be right at home in that other world. I even fangirled a bit when Death first comes on the scene here (he's my very favorite in the Discworld series). ( )
  scaifea | May 28, 2019 |
The book tackles things most science fiction and fantasy writers never think about, much less write. It does it in a straightforward manner. It's about Predestination and Free Will, about chaos and order, about human beings, their technology and their belief systems. When the book is talking about the big questions, it's a wow. It leaves room in both the plot and the reader's reactions for the characters to move around in and do unexpected but very human things.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Howard Waldrop (pay site) (Dec 20, 1990)

''Good Omens'' is a direct descendant of ''The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,'' a vastly overpraised book or radio program or industry or something that became quite popular in Britain a decade ago when it became apparent that Margaret Thatcher would be in office for some time and that laughs were going to be hard to come by...

Obviously, it would be difficult to write a 354-page satirical novel without getting off a few good lines. I counted four... But to get to this material, the reader must wade through reams and reams of undergraduate dreck: recycled science-fiction cliches about using the gift of prophesy to make a killing in the stock market; shopworn jokes about American television programs (would you believe the book includes a joke about ''Have Gun, Will Travel''?); and an infuriating running gag about Queen, a vaudevillian rock group whose hits are buried far in the past and should have been buried sooner.
added by SnootyBaronet | editNew York Times, Joe Queenan (Nov 7, 1990)

When a scatterbrained Satanist nun goofs up a baby-switching scheme and delivers the infant Antichrist to the wrong couple, it's just the beginning of the comic errors in the divine plan for Armageddon which this fast-paced novel by two British writers zanily details... Some humor is strictly British, but most will appeal even to Americans "and other aliens."
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Jul 20, 1990)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sinkkonen, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, DouglasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, GrahamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
CAVEAT

Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
The authors would like to join the demon Crowley in dedicating this book to the memory of

G. K. CHESTERTON

A man who knew what was going on.
It was a nice day.
It'd be a funny old world, he reflected, if demons went round trusting one another.
And there was never an apple, in Adam's opinion, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it.
In one sense there was just clear air overhead. In another, stretching off to infinity, were the hosts of Heaven and Hell, wingtip to wingtip. If you looked really closely, and had been specially trained, you could tell the difference.
The book was commonly known as the Buggre Alle This Bible. The lengthy compositor's error, if such it may be called, occurs in the book of Ezekiel, chapter 48, verse five....

5. Buggre Alle this for a Larke. I amme sick to mye Hart of typefettinge. Master Biltonn if no Gentelmann, and Master Scagges noe more than a tighte fisted Southwarke Knobbefticke. I tell you, onne a daye laike thif Ennywone withe half an oz. of Sense shoulde bee oute in the Sunneshain, ane nott Stucke here alle the liuelong daie inn thif mowldey olde By-Our-Lady Workefhoppe. @ *"AE@;!*
The Buggre Alle This Bible was also noteworthy for having twenty-seven verses in the third chapter of Genesis, instead of the more usual twenty-four.

They followed verse 24, which in the King James version reads:

"So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life," and read:

25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?

26 And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget me own head next.

27 And the Lord did not ask him again.

It appears that these verses were inserted during the proof stage. In those days it was common practice for printers to hang proof sheets to the wooden beams outside their shops, for the edification of the populace and some free proofreading, and since the whole print run was subsequently burned anyway, no one bothered to take up this matter with the nice Mr. A. Ziraphale, who ran the bookshop two doors along and was always so helpful with the translations, and whose handwriting was instantly recognizable.

According to the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter - the world's only totally reliable guide to the future - the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just after tea.
The novel's message:
"Heaven. Hell. They are both dull.
On Earth, there's sushi!"
(WilliamOrmond)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060853980, Mass Market Paperback)

Pratchett (of Discworld fame) and Gaiman (of Sandman fame) may seem an unlikely combination, but the topic (Armageddon) of this fast-paced novel is old hat to both. Pratchett's wackiness collaborates with Gaiman's morbid humor; the result is a humanist delight to be savored and reread again and again. You see, there was a bit of a mixup when the Antichrist was born, due in part to the machinations of Crowley, who did not so much fall as saunter downwards, and in part to the mysterious ways as manifested in the form of a part-time rare book dealer, an angel named Aziraphale. Like top agents everywhere, they've long had more in common with each other than the sides they represent, or the conflict they are nominally engaged in. The only person who knows how it will all end is Agnes Nutter, a witch whose prophecies all come true, if one can only manage to decipher them. The minor characters along the way (Famine makes an appearance as diet crazes, no-calorie food and anorexia epidemics) are as much fun as the story as a whole, which adds up to one of those rare books which is enormous fun to read the first time, and the second time, and the third time...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

The world is going to end next Saturday, but there are a few problems--the Antichrist has been misplaced, the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse ride motorcycles, and the representatives from heaven and hell decide that they like the human race.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible