The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (2006)

by Rick Riordan

17,067953103 (4.09)1 / 628
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.

English (944)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (953)
This book is a great read and is perfect for 5th grade. This book is a perfect way to get children's imagination running, and can also be a motivator for them to write their own creative stories. There are a few more challenging words throughout the book that will help children enhance their vocabulary skills as well. In this story a god named Zeus has is lighting bolt stolen and Percy Jackson has been blamed. He is given ten days to find and return the bolt in order to bring back peace to the land. As he does this, the adventure itself is full of mystical creatures, excitement and mythology! Definitely worth the read! The twelve Olympian gods are also mentioned, so this would be great as a fun read around a mythology lesson. ( )
  sabrinadixon123 | Sep 12, 2017 |
amazing book ( )
  DestinyDorman | Sep 8, 2017 |
I know this series is popular with MG and I can understand why. I would never discourage a student from reading these books, but personally, I had a few problems with this first book: 1) I could not suspend disbelief for much of it 2) It was too Harry Potterish (You are a half-blood, Percy . . .) 3) There were inconsistencies that an editor should have caught 4) There is a didactic feel to the repeating reference to humans causing pollution (I want to protect the earth, too, but this felt forced) 5) It focused on the Western World being at risk (What about the rest of humanity?) 6) There were thank-yous and mentions of sacrifice to the gods which felt more like "you should worship them, too" than just a story 7) There was a description of a monster hidden under the clothes and head covering that some middle eastern/Muslim women wear—I couldn't shake the feeling that much of this book was sending a subliminal message of USA superiority ( )
  DonnaMarieMerritt | Sep 7, 2017 |
I'm done with kids books, at least right now. I can understand why kids love it. They can image they are Percy, who has the inborn power but don't appreciate it (that's cool), who would never die, who has the best friends (of course, including female), and who saved the world.
  zhliu0124 | Aug 7, 2017 |
This book was passed along to me by my 14 year old, as we tend to share an interest in the Young Adult Fantasy series. I was not overly impressed by the writing style of this particular author and it took me a bit longer to finish than usual.

However, I found the storyline to be pleasing and would probably continue reading the series, but this would likely be a filler between books for me.

I should also add that I did recently see the movie as well, and was not disappointed in the changes made; the characters were likeable, and the effects met my expectations. This is one of the rare occasions in which I found the movie to surpass the book. ( )
  FennecGirl | Aug 7, 2017 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,856,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible