The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (2006)

by Rick Riordan

18,6951021119 (4.08)1 / 640
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp by Rick Yancey (megan003)
    megan003: Another boy who discovers his father has left him a unique legacy that involves fantastical threats against his life.
    The Imagicators by Brad Marshland (amazoniac)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.

English (1,009)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (1,018)
This book is about a twelve year old boy named Percy Jackson, and he goes on a quest to find Zeus's master bolt. Along the way he faces many challenges and adventures. This would be a great book to teach Greek mythology and over coming challenges. I would use this book for older students that are in middle or high school. ( )
  Megannau1 | Nov 6, 2018 |
This is a fun adventure story, but a bit simplistic for an adult. I loved Harry Potter, but this book lacks its depth of the world and the character development. Dialogs are often childish. The story weaves lassic Greek myths and characters into modern times. This is cute but also seems somewhat random. Overall, entertaining storyline but flat. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Percy Jackson is a normal kid...until now. Percy gets into a situation and now he has found out that the greek gods are real… and his dad is Poseidon. Then his mom gets kidnapped by Hades and he must stop his new enemies the titans from rising. He discovers he can control water, and he makes powerful new friends. He has many great adventures with him and his demigod friends to stop the titans.
This book was great. I recommend this book to you other readers. It was such a good fictional story it gave a good story how the fictional world of Greek mythology is real and in modern times today. Hey people you should really read this book, it’s a very good book, and everyone else who read it really liked it, and I’m trying to share it with everybody. You should read this book along with all the other books Rick Riordan wrote, they’re all good books. You should read them. ( )
  BenC.G3 | Oct 24, 2018 |
In my opinion, this book was very entertaining I couldn't put it down. The way the characters are depicted makes them believable. There has great character development and backstories to connect to. The Greek myths are also modernized, so the setting of the story when it takes place is easy for people to understand. This book displays gender equality, so it appeals to both younger girls and boys. Goddesses and gods, are neat characters to children it makes the plot even more suspenseful. The overarching theme is discovering ones true identity. A lot of teens can relate to this not knowing who they are and trying to find out. We all go through that awkward stage in our lives. Percy Jackson is a coming of age tale. Percy was uncertain of his true identity and as the story progressed he was able to discover himself. ( )
  nervin1 | Oct 9, 2018 |
Really great in the beginning, but I kinda got bored a bit in the middle. Ended well though, so it all worked out. I will read the rest of the series because I really like the characters! ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

4 1908
5 1972

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,174,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible