Artemis Fowl

by Eoin Colfer

Series: Artemis Fowl (1)

When a twelve-year-old evil genius tries to restore his family fortune by capturing a fairy and demanding a ransom in gold, the fairies fight back with magic, technology, and a particularly nasty troll.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (atimco, Morteana)
    atimco: Both feature a slightly ruthless child hero attempting to harness magical beings for his own nefarious ends. Funny and inventive!
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (westher)
    westher: Als je een fan van Holly Short bent is Thursday Next een topper!
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (missmaddie)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (foggidawn)
    Zin Mignon and the Secret of the Pickled Pigs' Feet by Michael Daswick (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both involve child geniuses (though in different fields).
    Amari and the Night Brothers by B. B. Alston (aspirit)
    Dark Lord: The Early Years by Jamie Thomson (aliklein)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: fans of Fowl's integration of a "real world" with a fairy world will appreciate Dust City's setting
    Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates by Sean Cullen (tardis)
    tardis: The Hamish X books are absurd and funny and like the Artemis Fowl books (also funny) they feature capable young protagonists with dangerous adversaries.
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Jesh1721)

English (380)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (396)
I listened to this audio book in the hopes that I would like the main character better than I did when I read the book. That did not happen.

I had read the book a couple of years ago and didn't care for the title character - Artemis Fowl. He has no redeeming qualities, is despicable as a human being, and I could in no way root for him to succeed in his efforts to exploit the faeries. The only reason I read the book to the end was because I wanted to see if the faery Holly escaped from the clutches of this evil villain.

My friend insisted that the books were terrific and since she had listened to the audio version, I decided to give it a try. I will admit that I liked the reader of these CDs very much and enjoyed the story, although my opinion of Artemis did not change.

A villain he is, and I have a moral objection to the use of the villain as the protagonist in a children's book. I didn't care what happened to him (other than to hope he failed!), do not think he offers children a hero they can cheer for, and really have no interest in reading any of the other books in the series. Now, if the author had made Holly the heroine, instead of just a hostage, my opinion might have changed. ( )
  DebCushman | Aug 25, 2022 |
If you have ever wanted to know how the fairy kingdom reacts to the modern world, this book is perfect for you. Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl is engaging and straddles the traditional folklore world of the fairies and the modern tech era we exist in today. Taking old tropes and archetypes and building a whole new experience with traditional folklore in the digital age.

The intrinsic/extrinsic development in Artemis Fowl leaves the reader finding that there is no real good or bad, but there are good needs and bad needs. In 2002 Eopin Colfer won the merit award in the Bisto Book of the Year awards.
  RoseWeagant | Jul 17, 2022 |
I can't believe I haven't read this before. Twelve-year old evil genius and eco-friendly fairies! I'm going to have to go out and get the whole series. A one-sitting, easy and absolutely fun read. ( )
  SwatiRavi | Jun 27, 2022 |
I first read this when I was twelve. I was determined to grow up and marry Holly, or work with her side by side, or both. I kind of wanted to be Artemis but not really. Mulch fascinated me and Foley was the coolest, in my mind. I didn't go online to crack the code at the bottom of the pages. Having just read a sci-fi book about teens that taught the readers to crack the code (and just tonight spent an hour unsuccessfully attempting to google the title of), I attempted to decipher the Artemis Fowl code myself. After a few pages, I gave up and read the first Artemis Fowl book in one sitting. As an adult, I saw a Goodreads friend rate it and figured I'd reread it myself. I remembered several cool parts and thought they'd be interesting again. The copy I read had a cover I found uninteresting, and to my dismay, the pages were feathered. Feathered edges drive me nuts. The text was middle grade, but the story tried to hide that, with some effort, it could have been YA. The overall effect was that readers were treated as stupid over, over, over and over some more. I didn't laugh at single joke. I laughed a 'do you know what you just implied to an American audience?' few times. Mostly I shook my head and waited for the book to end.

The parts I was looking forward to were incredibly lackluster and went on for maybe a paragraph each. The world-building was rushed. It also presumed the audience's knowledge of mythological creatures and such history in a sloppy way. The writing tried to alert me to the fact that this is the beginning of a series in an overdone way. Sometimes this was done in a way that sucked all possible tension out of the present moment. Most of all--I read the book flap as an adult and had forgotten Artemis is twelve. I giggled upon rediscovery and at times, had to stifle laughter as I read. Oh, and the mom has locked herself in the basement and the dad's presumed dead and oh look, the bodyguard is supposedly a father figure. At first, it was entertaining that the author thought this plausible in the story. As the book progressed, it got incredibly annoying.

Butler is repeatedly stated to be a father figure to his employer (power dynamics are a thing, author), but is afraid to ask how he's feeling. How old is Butler? His little sister, Juliet, is sixteen and means the world to him, and I'm never shown why. Juliet is a prop, anyway. She's there for Artemis to have a crush on and Holly to put a spell on. Juliet's only characterization is to like wrestling, to be stupid, and I kept waiting for her to say the exact phrase 'I'm not like other girls'. Why is she in the Fowl's employ? Why is a twelve-year-old managing the family finances and business decisions? Did his mom sign papers so he could fly to another country in the beginning of the book, with his bodyguard? Admittedly, that's always been one of my favorite parts: the alcoholic faery is awesome. No clue why. Back to the pompous jerk who can't shave yet: who's letting him get away with all this stuff? How long has he been doing this? Why have responsible adults and agencies overlooked him? I get that the mom's sick and the dad's missing, but he should have gone into foster care long ago since that's the case.

I'm convinced that, as an adult, the author wrote down the elaborate childhood fantasies he'd had and got them published as this book series. I congratulate him sincerely on his success and have been curious about the movie since I first read the book--I want to see what Holly looks like. I point out that Artemis Fowl is a Marty Stu, although arguably a Gary Stu, and shall peruse TV Tropes to accurately label. In a different time, he might get along with Draco Malfoy. Seriously, both times I read this, I kept thinking of Malfoy when Fowl got more than a sentence of page time.
To Mr Colfer: I'm sorry your childhood was so hard. Mine also resulted in me developing a rich fantasy world to cope, and this is the second time I've admitted this. I think you needed more editors for this book, and I hope the movie turns out well. ( )
  iszevthere | Jun 23, 2022 |
Re-read for upcoming movie event! Still love it and can't wait to see the movie. This was also a nice step away from the intense book just finished and also rated high: The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. Needed a lighter, easier read, for sure. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
The truth is, fairies in their essence are said to possess glamour, a word that originally meant something like charm -- the ability to bewitch. Hardware may intrigue, caustic belligerence may be sexy to a contemporary 12-year-old, but neither ingredient bewitches. Despite a brave and promising premise, ''Artemis Fowl'' is charmless.

Characterizations and dialogue enhance a rollicking tale that will have readers rolling on the floor and eagerly anticipating the planned sequel
added by khuggard | editBooklist

Fun to read, full of action and humor, this is recommended for all public libraries and to readers of all ages
added by khuggard | editLibrary Journal

The combination of choppy sentences and ornate language will appeal to some readers, although not necessarily to Harry Potter fans; the emphasis here is more on action (some of it gory), technology, and deadpan humor than on magic, and only one character (Artemis) is a child.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

Despite numerous clever gadgets and an innovative take on traditional fairy lore, the author falls short of the bar.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, Angela DiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rigano, GiovanniIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jackie
How does one describe Artemis Fowl? (Prologue)
Ho Chi Minh City in the summer.
Wie üblich war die Hauptröhre völlig überfüllt. Fliegende Feen verstopften den Durchgang wie Steine in einem Flaschenhals, und die Gnome, die mit ihren riesigen, schwingenden Hinterteilen zwei Fahrstreifen blockierten, machten das Ganze auch nicht besser. [Taschenbuch S. 35]
Seit die Menschenwesen begonnen hatten, mit Bohrungen nach Bodenschätzen herumzuexperimentieren, waren immer mehr Unterirdische aus ihren Burgen unterhalb der Erdoberfläche in die Tiefe und Sicherheit von Haven City geflüchtet. [Taschenbuch S. 37]
Die Oberirdischen zerstörten alles, was sie in die Finger bekamen. Und dann ihre Behausungen! Große, protzige Kästen mit Räumen für alles Mögliche - zum Schlafen, zum Essen und sogar ein Extraraum, um auf die Toilette zu gehen. Drinnen! Holly schüttelte sich. Was für eine ekelhafte Vorstellung. Das einzig Gute daran war doch gerade, dass die Mineralien der Erde zurückgegeben wurden, aber die Oberirdischen hatten es geschafft, selbst das zu verpfuschen, indem sie ihre "Abwässer" mit einer blauen, chemischen Flüssigkeit vermischten. Wenn ihr vor hundert Jahren jemand gesagt hätte, dass die Menschen eines Tages sogar aus dem Dünger die Nährstoffe herausziehen würden, hätte sie ihn für verrückt erklärt. [Taschenbuch S. 49]
Die Hafenarbeiter rollten sich Zigaretten. Was nicht einfach war mit Fingern, die so dick waren wie Eisenstangen, aber sie schafften es doch. Und was machte es schon, wenn ein paar braune Tabakkrümel auf das grobe Pflaster fielen? Man konnte das Zeug kistenweise bei einem kleinen Mann kaufen, der bei der Berechnung seiner Preise zuvorkommenderweise auf die staatlichen Steuern verzichtete. [Taschenbuch S. 83]
Der Zwerg musste schlucken. Das war mal wieder typisch für die Zwergen-Bruderschaft. Was hassen Zwerge am meisten? Feuer. Welches sind die einzigen Wesen, die Feuerbälle herbeizaubern können? Kobolde. Und mit wem legen sich die Zwerge an? So blöd musste man erst mal sein. [Taschenbuch S. 145]

Eoin Colfer describes his new book, Artemis Fowl, as "Die Hard with fairies." He's not far wrong.

Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. With two trusty sidekicks in tow, he hatches a cunning plot to divest the fairyfolk of their pot of gold. Of course, he isn't foolish enough to believe in all that "gold at the end of the rainbow" nonsense. Rather, he knows that the only way to separate the little people from their stash is to kidnap one of them and wait for the ransom to arrive. But when the time comes to put his plan into action, he doesn't count on the appearance of the extrasmall, pointy-eared Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaisance) Unit--and her senior officer, Commander Root, a man (sorry, elf) who will stop at nothing to get her back.

Available online at The Internet Archive:
An evil genius
kidnaps a fairy captain
to hold her ransom.
(marcusbrutus)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141312122, 0141329726, 014133939X, 0141339098

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,549,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible