Mortal Engines

by Philip Reeve

Series: Mortal Engines Quartet (1)

In the distant future, when cities move about and consume smaller towns, a fifteen-year-old apprentice is pushed out of London by the man he most admires and must seek answers in the perilous Out-Country, aided by one girl and the memory of another.
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (Maid_Marian)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (Jannes)
    Jannes: Airships and high adventure in a post-apocalyptic and retrofuturistic word. Also, air pirates.
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (Jesh1721)
    Predator's Gold by Philip Reeve (joririchardson)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (Rubbah)
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (passion4reading)
    passion4reading: Intelligent and thought-provoking children's/YA fiction with an unusual premise.
    Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (Enyonam)
    Worldshaker by Richard Harland (Maid_Marian)
    The Teacher's Tales of Terror / Traction City by Chris Priestley (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Traction City features a young Anna Fang, who subsequently has a major role to play in Mortal Engines and its sequels.

English (100)  Dutch (1)  All languages (101)
Fast-paced and intriguing. Great plot, well-rounded characters, and a simultaneously sad and satisfying ending. ( )
  crleverette | Oct 5, 2020 |
Had to download this before the film hit the screens and spoilt it. Glad I did too! Not a complex book, but a Mad Max meets Robot Wars romp of fast paced action which almost leaves you breathing hard at the end. Look forward to seeing how the series plays out now :) ( )
  CliveUK | Sep 20, 2020 |
Sadly, I could only get my hands on a German copy and it was quite obvious that a lot was lost in translation, which is why it only gets three stars. I expect to correct it to at least four as soon as I get my hands on the original version. ( )
  GristleMcNerd | Sep 18, 2020 |
This book was written to be turned into a movie. As such, it is a little...off in places. I would have appreciated a little more worldbuilding. However, it was a beautiful book overall, and the imagery where provided was fantastic.
8/10 ( )
  m_mozeleski | Aug 22, 2020 |
The writing style is very simplistic. I realize this is a YA book but to me that refers more to content. Kids aren't dumb, it's ok to use big words. The main character, Tom, is very wishy washy. He doesn't have any beliefs of his own and just latches onto what others believe, readily changing them as he meets new people. The concept of moving cities and municipal Darwinism is very interesting, but it is never really the focus. The steampunk/post-apoc is just a backdrop to the drama of the main character's life, which I found underwhelming. ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |

Philip Reeveprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frankland, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sarah
It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea.

It's Municipal
Darwinism, where cities on
tracks devour towns.
(passion4reading)
Powerful children's
fiction that ought to be a
must-read for grown-ups.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,625,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible