Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

Mortal Engines

by Philip Reeve

In the distant future, when cities move about and consume smaller towns, a fifteen-year-old apprentice is pushed out of London by the man he most admires and must seek answers in the perilous Out-Country, aided by one girl and the memory of another.
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (Maid_Marian)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (Jannes)
    Jannes: Airships and high adventure in a post-apocalyptic and retrofuturistic word. Also, air pirates.
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (Jesh1721)
    Predator's Gold by Philip Reeve (joririchardson)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (Rubbah)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (passion4reading)
    passion4reading: Intelligent and thought-provoking children's/YA fiction with an unusual premise.
    Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (Enyonam)
    Worldshaker by Richard Harland (Maid_Marian)
    The Teacher's Tales of Terror / Traction City: A World Book Day Flip Book by Chris Priestley (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Traction City features a young Anna Fang, who subsequently has a major role to play in Mortal Engines and its sequels.

English (83)  Dutch (1)  All languages (84)
this book has a lot of neat ideas but the writing style is definitely middle grade, not ya.
  ireneattolia | Aug 23, 2019 |
For a kids book, a tooooon of people die in this book. Legitimately, I had to double check to make sure I hadn't misunderstood the target audience of this book because, while the writing and tone are definitely YA appropriate (if not middle grade), the plot is brutal. Seriously, do not get attached to anyone ever. They will probably die in a borderline pointless way that makes you wonder "how this is possibly the first book in a series because where is this going from here?" That said, I'm curious enough to read the next one just to find out. ( )
  Jthierer | Aug 12, 2019 |
I did enjoy this book, albeit I regretted its softish YA nature, I envisioned the excellent concept as a hard-edged scifi story and think it would be tops. The idea of giant mobile predator cities grabbed me from the start, and certainly the action never let up, I just would have preferred something grittier. I hope the subsequent books have a bit more exposition about the world came to this state, a prequel novel certainly wouldn't go astray. Entertaining light reading. ( )
  drmaf | Aug 8, 2019 |
Seré honesta y admitiré que la razón principal por la que decidí leerme este libro es por todo el hype que hay en torno a la película. Y aunque fue una lectura rápida y entretenida, no puedo decir que haya sido una de las más memorables para mí.

El setting del mundo post-apocalíptico me pareció ya muy usado y a pesar de los tintes steampunk que contiene la descripción de los escenarios y el mundo que me encantaron, se me hizo muy superficial. La trama es buena, los personajes son interesantes; pero el paso tan rápido que lleva la narración no da oportunidad a que te enganches realmente con la historia o alguno de los personajes.

Le daré el crédito debido ya que es una serie enfocada a chicos de secundaria (12-15 años), y entiendo que, como tal, no podía ser tan intrínseca o larga, pero sí me dejó con la sensación de que le faltaron varias cosas para ser un libro realmente bueno.

No creo continuar la saga de momento, pero no me cierro a la idea de hacerlo en un futuro. ( )
  LenoreDiKaat | Mar 10, 2019 |
No longer than it needs to be. The environment is complex and the characters/motivations simple, with great results. ( )
1 vote sarcher | Feb 8, 2019 |

Philip Reeveprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frankland, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sarah
It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea.

It's Municipal
Darwinism, where cities on
tracks devour towns.
(passion4reading)
Powerful children's
fiction that ought to be a
must-read for grown-ups.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,002,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible