Ender's Game (1977)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Ender Saga (1), Enderverse (8)

37,18599844 (4.31)1 / 1134
Child-hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.
Recently added byNorm5535, abbieotter, private library, Gorkycreator, folstmary, suzannekmoses, JDEdwards1, taelam, cloidl, TaylorFitz
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (Cecrow)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)

1980s (111)

English (972)  Spanish (9)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (993)
This was a book I first read at age 13, yet so stuck with me that to this day I’ll remember vividly the memories of white-knuckling the library-bound copy I had from my middle school. Though the series drops off significantly, specifically with certain plot lines, the duality — or perhaps anti-duality — between Peter and Valentine’s bildungsroman and Ender’s is simultaneously tragic and beautiful. I cannot recall, so many years on, my surprise come the end, but regardless, Orson Scott Card (personal distastefulnesses aside) amazingly portrays the sheer impact of what is being done to these children, what they do to each other, and the inherent horror of the world in which we preside, without ever being overly explicit in that fact. One of my favourite books, full stop. ( )
  AlunStokes | May 17, 2022 |
Mér fannst afskaplega gaman að Ender's Game. Orson Scott Card setur hér fram framtíðarsýn þar sem hernaðarveldi jarðar hafa sameinast gegn sameiginlegri ógn í formi innrásarhættu geimvera.
Sameiginleg yfirstjórn geimflota jarðarinnar virðist allt leyfilegt til að tryggja sigur. Þannig eru genabætt börn rannsökuð fyrstu æviár sín með áföstum skynjurum til að kanna hvort þau komi til greina sem úrvalshermenn í geimflotanum. Þau eru síðan fjarlægð frá foreldrum sínum og komið fyrir á geimstöðvum þar sem stöðug og miskunnarlaus þjálfun í geimhernaði fer fram í kapphlaupi við tímann því væntanleg er úrslitaorrusta við geimverurnar.
Ender er eitt þessara barna og lesandinn fær að kynnast uppeldi hans, hvernig hann er misnotaður af herveldinu sem ætlar sér að gera hann að fullkominni drápsvél og hvernig Ender er við það að bugast undir álaginu.
Mér fannst heillandi hvernig Card kynnti til sögunnar margvíslegar heillandi framtíðarhugmyndir og hve áreynslulítið hann gerði það. Ókostir bókarinnar eru hins vegar þeir að persónusköpunin er full einföld og hún verður á tímum fyrirsjáanleg og endurtekur sig of oft s.s. þegar börnin berjast í bardagahermum aftur og aftur og aftur. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
It's on a lot of best of science fiction lists for a reason. This was so much more than I expected, since the main character was a young child, I was not expecting such a serious read. I gave this book five stars out of respect for the story and writing. I usually reserve five stars for books I love and would want to read again. I am really impressed with this book but can't say that I love it. I will certainly remember it. And I do recommend it. ( )
  larocco | Mar 24, 2022 |
2012-04-24 ( )
2 vote | iffland | Mar 19, 2022 |
"It was his victory, not theirs, and a hollow one at that, a cheat; why did they act as if he had won with honor?" ( )
  roseandisabella | Mar 18, 2022 |
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,160,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible