dismiss

Ender's Game (1977)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Ender's Game: Extended (8A), Enderverse (8A)

Child-hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.
    Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)

1980s (29)

English (923)  Spanish (9)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (944)
At the risk of being sacrilegious, the original Ender Trilogy is central to my personal collection of "holy" books. I have rarely come across a story of greater - or more challenging - empathy than this. To this day, and no matter how many times I go back and re-read them, these novels still teach me how to be a more compassionate and forgiving human being. ( )
  johnthelibrarian | Aug 11, 2020 |
"In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them.... I destroy them."

The movie was .... but the book was one of the best I've ever read. ( )
  sami7 | Aug 3, 2020 |
A novel holds interest for its reader only insofar as it presents a relatable protagonist who faces conflict and overcomes it. When that protagonist is a child, you have the making of a bildungsroman, in my opinion the best type of personal growth story. Ender's Game is such a story, but doesn't, unfortunately, present one of its better examples, primarily because the adults in Ender's world have so minutely engineered every last detail of Ender's life and experience that the character cannot be said to possess independent thought and action. Thus the trajectory of his tale is manufactured, not only by the author but by the other characters in the book. He is left only to react to things that happen to him, rather than act on them. He is a rat in a maze, at the whims of the cheese-masters who alter the maze according to which way he turns. The difference here is that he knows he's a rat in a maze. Of more interest to me is Ender's internal conflict, between himself and what he thinks are pre-determined character traits that closely resemble his brother Peter's. This is a far more psychologically interesting story, one in which the character must work out who he is in relation to his home, his family, and his expectations of his own personality. Again, though, the level of micro-managing and playing god on the part of his superiors prevent Ender from working these through on his own, and prevent the reader from enjoying that journey. ( )
  ChayaLovesToRead | Aug 1, 2020 |
Touches on an amazing array of issues, for me most notably human manipulation. The end twisted in a way that I didn't anticipate, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Brought me to an Avatar like world ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
Listened to the 20th anniversary version of the Audiobook, and I literally could not turn it off. When I finally just had to go to sleep, I stopped and then finished it the next day. It's really that good. Really. You find yourself drawn in to the life of this 6 year old little boy and the very strange life he ends up in. It's well told, and well narrated. In addition, at the end of the book there are about 20 minutes of commentary by Orson Scott Card telling how the story came to be, and also some info on the process to it becoming a movie. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,294,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible