Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (1985)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Ender's Game (1), Ender's Game: Extended (4)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)

1980s (47)

English (862)  Spanish (9)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (882)
I'm taking a bit of a different approach with this review. Partially, how do you review a book that millions of people have read and that won not only the Hugo, but also the Nebula award when it was released? I could go into the complexities of Ender Wiggin's character, and how he is molded and shaped by the adults, tricked into committing genocide. There are themes about duty, trust, perseverance and winning the game at all costs. But that's not what I want to talk about. This is the first time I have read Ender's Game - I never read it as a teenager when it was first released, and never had time (or interest) to read it until now. I think having read it now (in my late 40s) the impression I have of Ender Wiggin and the story is different than had I read it as a teenager, or even in my 20s. I enjoyed the book, and recommend it to anybody who has an interest in science fiction. It is one of the pillars of the genre and should be on any reader's list of books to have read, or to be read. There is a lot in the story that is still relevant today: the addiction the children have to playing the game, the violence they can inflict if not guided properly (or in the case of Col. Graff and Mazer Rackham, how a genocidal killer can be easily created), and the control and manipulation of facts and information (primarily from Peter and Valentine).

What I liked most about this version of the novel was the extended author note that Orson Scott Card gives at the end of the novel. It was interesting to hear what his inspirations for the story that became Ender's Game (first the short story, then the novel) were, and how he went about writing the story. Being able to hear the author's own insights into the story was a nice addition to this audiobook version of the Ender's Game, and if you are able to listen to this version I highly recommend it. ( )
  GeoffHabiger | Sep 12, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  thepageparamour | Sep 9, 2018 |
3.5-4 ( )
  Bibli0mane | Aug 21, 2018 |
This book hooks you from the beginning. I would recommend this book to junior high age children, BUT there were some parts of the book that were unnecessarily violent (Animal torture - this illustrates a point, but I think the same point could've come across in another way.) along with racist comments by the characters that had absolutely no point whatsoever in the plot. These issues, along with fragmented storytelling later in the book, cause it to lose one star with me and NOT recommend this book until students are in high school, when they would be better able to evaluate the issues I mentioned. That being said, I can definitely see myself reading more books by this author in the future, along with the book he said inspired him. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
A little boy undergoes brutal military training.

4/4 (Great).

I feel like I have an essay to write about all the things that are wrong about this book, both morally and narratively. But at the end of the day, it's completely engrossing. I enjoyed it a lot more than I was annoyed by Card. ( )
  comfypants | Jun 16, 2018 |
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,844,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible