The Catcher in the Rye (1951)

by J. D. Salinger

61,24397913 (3.8)3 / 1047
Story of Holden Caufield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. Holden, knowing he is to be expelled from school, decides to leave early. He spends three days in New York City and tells the story of what he did and suffered there.
1950s (10)
Read (34)
Cooper (17)
Read (2)
Teens (3)

English (915)  Spanish (18)  French (11)  Italian (11)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Croatian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Icelandic (1)  All languages (976)
A story of a very bitter teenager (Holden) who absolutely hates everyone and everything to some degree. The story takes place over a couple of days and focuses on his inability to do well in school, mostly because he does not want to. The only bright side to the book is some advice one of his former teachers gave him.... and then some how that gets screwed up too... overall an interesting book, which I can imagine has further symbolism or something like that... I decided to read it because it was considered a "classic" not sure why though.... ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
This may require a re-read, so I can wrap my head around the literary value, but when I read this so long ago, I couldn't help but hate Holden Caulfield. With every fiber of my being, I hate him. ( )
  althomas39 | Apr 20, 2021 |
Holden Caulfield says: "What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it."

I say that I don’t know if Salinger and I would have much to talk about, however, I really wish I could sit down and have a conversation with Holden. I think it would go something like this:

“Hey Holden, I just wanted to say hi. Mind if I have a cigarette? You know, I haven’t smoked in 20 years, but your story really, really made me crave a cigarette. I don’t remember ever reading another story that made me feel like having a cigarette. But, your story, you know, it killed me.

But, I wanted to tell you that that stuff you said about Jesus, well, it killed me. Yeah, you are just so right about that.

Well, you don’t know me and all, but I also wanted to say to you, about that girl, Jane, well, I think you should phone her some time. Yeah, none of my business, I know, but think about it anyway.

I hope you will be well. I think you will. But take care, all right? I will be thinking of you. If you don’t mind, I may come around some other time just to say hi. Bye for now, then. And thanks for the cigarette, it saved my life.”

RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
אין לי מושג מה בדיוק חשבתי על הספר הזה כאשר קראתי אותו לראשונה. קשה מאוד להעריך את השפעת הזמן על הספר. אבל היום, כל מה שיש לי לומר שהוא שעמם אותי עד מוות. ואני אהיה מורד ואגיד גם שאני לא בטוח שהוא היה כל כך טוב גם כשהופיע לראשונה. ( )
  amoskovacs | Apr 8, 2021 |
I enjoyed reading this book. I like how a lot of the time I felt like I was reading a modern teen book, as opposed to something written in the 40s or 50s. Some of the excessive cursing irritated me a bit, but teenage boys are supposed to be irritating. I'm irritated by most of the guys at school. ;)

I also liked how he didn't actually tell us much. I had to read between the lines to work out how he was really feeling and what he was really thinking. ( )
1 vote crimsonraider | Apr 1, 2021 |
“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

J. D. Salingerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move.... Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.

The hero-narrator of The Catcher in the Rye is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices-but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle it to keep.

J.D. Salinger's classic novel of teenage angst and rebellion was first published in 1951. The novel was included on Time's 2005 list of the 100 best English-language novels written since 1923. It was named by Modern Library and its readers as one of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. It has been frequently challenged in the court for its liberal use of profanity and portrayal of sexuality and in the 1950's and 60's it was the novel that every teenage boy wants to read.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)
A quoi bon la vie. Ses chemins nous mènent au trou. Attrape mon coeur!

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316769487, 0316769177, 0316769533

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,903,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible