I Never Liked You by Chester Brown

I Never Liked You (1994)

by Chester Brown

In one of the best graphic novels published in recent years, Chester Brown tells the story of his alienated youth in an almost detached, understated manner, givingI Never Liked You an eerie, dream-like quality. For the new 2002 definitive softcover edition Brown has designed new layouts for the entire book, using "white" panel backgrounds instead of the black pages of the first edition.… (more)
Read (266)

A quiet memoir of an unhappy childhood. Perhaps too quiet. It was so sparse that I had trouble connecting with any of the characters. ( )
  jscape2000 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Chester Brown writes a number of autobiographies, all of which are hilarious because they are true (probably with a pinch of artistic license). 'I never liked you' is a journey through the childhood of Chester. His distant relationship with his mother, the beginnings of his passion for drawing and his early attempts at romance are some of the memories we are treated to. ( )
  clstaff | Jul 24, 2013 |
Adolescence is a painful, awkward time, and that awkwardness is captured here in all its horrible glory--romance with the girl next door (while being in love with someone else), an emotionally unbalanced mother who just wants her son to love her, being known as the kid who never swears--at the best of times, high school is rough; at the worst, it can be used to make comics as bitterly romantic as this one. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 29, 2013 |
Brown is a masterful cartoonist but this autobiographical coming of age story was so unlike my own adolescent experience that it was hard for me to relate. I'm sure for some folks it is the Holy Grail of their teenage years. ( )
  librarianbryan | Apr 20, 2012 |
A quiet coming-of-age story and a memoir of the author as a young man, the book revolves primarily around his love life and his family life. I wasn't blown away by the book, but it was a good read and worth the fairly small time investment. The New York Times was apt in calling its style "minimalist." If you enjoy comics/graphic novels, particularly those about family and adolescence, I would recommend you give it a read. ( )
  thouxartxgod | Aug 4, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,717,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible