Peter Pan (1911)

by J. M. Barrie

Series: Peter Pan (4)

The adventures of the three Darling children in Never-Never Land with Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.
1910s (41)

English (283)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (293)
Children’s literature from the 1900’s is certainly not anything like we have today. While Disney kept quite close to this original story, they softened much of the darker plot points. The fighting and death near the end of the novel and how nonchalant Michael Darling is about killing the villains is spine chilling. The use of profane language by Tinkerbell made me love her character so much more! One thing I could not get over was how horrible Mr. Darling is to his children, and wife and how this seems to have been presented as normal behavior for the time. I recommend this book for anyone interested in original literature and if you are prepared to have a fairytale classic completely reshape for you. ( )
  BuffyCharpentier | May 24, 2022 |
Delightful classic and original story of Peter Pan. I have read many modern versions, seen many movies of Peter, but had never read the first story. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it a rather interesting point of view from the narrator who does not hesitate to rely his (I am assuming) feeling about the bratty, selfish children who leave their parents without a thought. Glad I read it! ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
"You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you still remember dreaming? That's where I'll always love you. That's where I'll be waiting."
  roseandisabella | Mar 18, 2022 |
This is surely going to be an unpopular opinion and likely to give me some hate, but I didn't like this one much. Some social commentary, some 19th/early 20th-century racism, some platitudes, a crude story and a lot of wound up nonsense.
3* for some thoughts and the literary and cultural merit it seems to have earned only.
Edit: I've got to lower its rating down to 2*. The book is far too boring and not ok for me to get a neutral rating. ( )
  Yuki-Onna | Jan 28, 2022 |
Of course, I'd seen the Disney version many times before reading the original. I'd also read the delightfully adventurous Peter Pan and the Starcatchers series by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. No surprise that the original from 1911 was quite different from either - especially in the character of Peter Pan himself. In the original he is portrayed as much younger, more naive, selfish, and unable to focus on anything of import for more than a few minutes... just like a five or six year old child generally is. Wendy's portrayal seems slightly misogynistic by today's standards, as even in Neverland, she seems happy to stay home darning the boys socks while they go off on adventures. And the racist portrayals of the "redskins" is atrocious. Nonetheless, I was surprised to find a few tears slipping down my cheeks as I read the last couple of chapters. The book is, after all, about both the joys and the tragedy of growing up, and losing the magic of childhood. ( )
  fingerpost | Jan 27, 2022 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Mr and Mrs Darling and Nana rushed into the nursery too late. The birds were flown.
At the sight of his own blood, whose peculiar colour, you remember, was offensive to him, the sword fell from Hook's hand, and he was at Peter's mercy.

"Now!" cried all the boys, but with a magnificent gesture Peter invited his opponent to pick up his sword. Hook did so instantly, but with a tragic feeling that Peter was showing good form.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
Per WorldCat, ISBN 0805072454 is for a book by J.M. Barrie; not a video.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.

This edition includes the novel and the stories, as well as an introduction by eminent scholar Jack Zipes. Looking at the man behind Peter Pan and sifting through the psychological interpretations that have engaged many a critic, Zipes explores the larger cultural and literary contexts in which we should appreciate Barrie's enduring creation and shows why Peter Pan is a work not for children but for adults seeking to reconnect with their own imagination.*100th anniversary of the play, which premiered December 27, 1904*Includes introduction, suggestions for further reading, explanatory notes, and the original illustrations from the first edition by Francis Donkin Bedford.
Peter Pan, the mischievous boy who refuses to grow up, lands in the Darling's proper middle-class home to look for his shadow. He befriends Wendy, John and Michael and teaches them to fly (with a little help from fairy dust). He and Tinker Bell whisk them off to Never-land where they encounter the Red Indians, the Little Lost Boys, pirates and the dastardly Captain Hook.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

--jeriahsharin

The classic story of the boy who never grew up, the girl who would be both his mother and partner, and all the wild imaginings of children let loose. Adventure, intrigue, pirates, roughousing, deep dark forests, magic, trouncing the adults on a regular basis, flying, fierce animals, pretty much everything is there. --wendp

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101026, 1400108667

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,514,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible