Peter Pan (1911)

by J. M. Barrie

Series: Peter Pan (4)

The adventures of the three Darling children in Never-Never Land with Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up.
Recently added byKayleeCrawford, eylulcisem, private library, AanchalB, Princekyo, vangerine, klivin

English (261)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (269)
After my disappointment with the small version of this book that I read earlier this month, choosing to read another version could have ended even more badly, but thankfully the extra-large print size of this copy saved it from being another failure. The lack of a full text for the Peter Pan story is still an issue for me, so there's no way that this can earn a top rating, but the print quality is a lot better in this version. The larger format also helps, because we see a lot more of each painting's details and the bright colours really pop. I wish that they had maybe done the deluxe clothbound version in this size (like they did for Hildebrandt's version of Alice in Wonderland), but considering that I keep finding more versions of this book I can live in hope! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
As much as I adore Greg Hildebrandt’s illustrations for this condensed version of Peter Pan, I am severely disappointed in this small reproduction in comparison to the other two (far more deluxe) editions that I own. The other editions are cloth-bound and slightly larger, with gilt edging in the bright green cover design, so this copy is immediately a little lacklustre due to its pale brown puffed hardcover binding. But the real disappointment is in the inner layout. Not only are the images laid out haphazardly alongside the text (their only boon is that they are full page size), but the print quality makes many of the images muddy and dull compared to the other reproductions. Hildebrant is known for his use of an overabundantly bright colour palette to illustrate the fantasy scenes that are his main subject matter, so fans of his work are sure to be a little sad to see his colours muted and darkened by the poor prints in this book. The text is also shortened even further than that which appears in the other editions (causing some of the illustrations to be left out entirely), so we just get the bare bones of the real Peter Pan story. Oh well, another one to keep in the collection, and to cite as an example of how NOT to do children’s books ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
❧ audiobook review

All these years later and I still want to go to Neverland. Also, Lily Collins is a terrific narrator. ♡
  rjcrunden | Feb 2, 2021 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Inspired

All children, except one, grow up.
"Now," said he, "shall I give you a kiss?" and she replied with a slight primness, "if you please." She made herself rather cheap by inclining her face toward him, but he merely dropped an acorn button into her hand; so she slowly returned her face to where it had been before, and said nicely that she would wear his kiss on a chain around her neck.
Mr and Mrs Darling and Nana rushed into the nursery too late. The birds were flown.
At the sight of his own blood, whose peculiar colour, you remember, was offensive to him, the sword fell from Hook's hand, and he was at Peter's mercy.

"Now!" cried all the boys, but with a magnificent gesture Peter invited his opponent to pick up his sword. Hook did so instantly, but with a tragic feeling that Peter was showing good form.
Please do not combine the novel with the original play.
The original play was written by J.M. Barrie and first performed in 1904.
Peter and Wendy is the title of Barrie's 1911 novelization of it. The novel follows the play closely, but includes a final chapter not part of the original play.
The novel is now usually published under the title Peter and Wendy or simply Peter Pan.
Per WorldCat, ISBN 0805072454 is for a book by J.M. Barrie; not a video.
ISBN 1897035128 is a Blue Heron Books edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 0689866917 is an Aladdin edition of Peter Pan.
ISBN 014086847X is a Puffin edition of Peter Pan.

The great story of Peter and Wendy. I have in my personal collection a 1914 edition. It is a great story of retaining your childhood feelings of play and wonder of the world. It is an important story for the modern age as I think too many of us loose the heart of a child. A great read.

--jeriahsharin

The classic story of the boy who never grew up, the girl who would be both his mother and partner, and all the wild imaginings of children let loose. Adventure, intrigue, pirates, roughousing, deep dark forests, magic, trouncing the adults on a regular basis, flying, fierce animals, pretty much everything is there. --wendp

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670841803, 0451520882, 0141322578, 0141808411, 0141329815, 0141343281

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101026, 1400108667

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,738,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible