Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by…

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (1)

96,83915741 (4.28)7 / 1606
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)

1990s (7)
Magic! (5)
Ghosts (116)

English (1,501)  Dutch (14)  Spanish (13)  German (12)  Italian (10)  French (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Piratical (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,573)
According to me a Prologue or the 1st Chapter of a book is THE reflection - SO it must capture my attention from page 1 I will continue a few more chapters to give the Book a fair chance to change my mind!
SO Herewith my review!

3* review ? Loved it ;-)!

Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
First read. Good, but not amazing. I'd read more. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
Harry was just an orphan boy who was being "cared" for by his horrible aunt and uncle. He receives a letter by an owl and from then on his life will never be the same. This story tells of the beginning of an adventure of a boy who must overcome challenges to save his friends, family, and the wizarding world. This book would be an advanced chapter book for young children, but would be a great group read to grasp the attention of the students. This book can help introduce chain of events in a story and the student can create their own graphic organizer with a chain of events that is happening in their life. ( )
  AshleySurbrook | Sep 19, 2018 |
Just as magical and marvelous as ever. Harry's awful existence with the Dursleys at Number Four, Privet Drive is interrupted when a series of letters informs him that he is a wizard and can attend the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. There, he is placed into Gryffindor House and makes friends with Ron Weasley and (after a bumpy start) Hermione Granger. He learns about his own place in recent wizarding history, and comes face to face with Lord Voldemort himself.
  JennyArch | Sep 10, 2018 |
What's the story:
Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon, and has never worn a cloak of invisibility.
All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley - a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years.
But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry - and anyone who reads about him - will find unforgettable.
For it's there that he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him... if Harry can survive the encounter.
------
My opinion:
Almost 10 years ago, my mother bought me the first Harry Potter book. The 'Harry Potter craze' hadn't started yet and I had never heard of it before. I read the text on the back cover and thought it seemed interesting, but it didn't make me think "I want to start reading this book immediately!". But when I opened the book the next day, I couldn't put it down anymore! The world inside the book was one I really enjoyed reading about.
After lots of re-reads and a few years (book 3 had been published by that time), my father had brought the Harry Potter books in English from America. The Dutch translations I had been reading were good, but I enjoyed the English versions even more. I just lik reading books in the original language, and the Dutch translator had changed almost all the names. When he translated the first book, he didn't know it would become such a popular series, but it's also fun to find Dutch translations with similar meanings for all the English names. I also read this English [American] version many times, of course... but why do I enjoy this series so much?

For one, there's the world in which the story takes place. The wizard world exists next to the 'Muggle' world [a Muggle is a non-wizard human], in such a way Muggles don't notice. A lot of the 'cliche' elements of wizards and witches are used in a way that they don't seem cliche but fitting to the story.

The wizarding school Harry goes to, Hogwarts, has interesting subjects and also a library with books filled with interesting things... as is described quite a few times, since Hermione [one of Harry's friends] reads a lot. The information she gathers from the books often comes in handy!

The characters are well described and you can picture them easily - you start to 'live with them' when reading the book. There are also some people mentioned in this book that get a larger/more important role in later books. This is an example of the little hints J.K. Rowling gives about things in the story - she doesn't only do this with names, but she also drops pieces of information that grow together to form the final conclusion of a mystery that has to be solved.

If you have read the book first and then saw the movie, you notice a lot of things have been left out. But the book contains so many elements the movie gives a nice impression of the world inside.
If you have only seen the movie, reading the book will give you more understanding of the characters and the world they live in - and a lot more interesting information.
And an enjoyable read :)
  mene | Sep 7, 2018 |
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.

Rowling, J. K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyler, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. (Novelist)
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,999,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible