dismiss

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (1)

104,94617151 (4.29)7 / 1710
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.
Recently added byrinale, TheWordReaper, easymac, private library, JessicaCroy, KaralynGroesbeck, rabidpencil, scducey
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia) by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna, nfeldbaum)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones (tortoise)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)

1990s (3)
1990s (5)
Ghosts (88)

English (1,639)  Dutch (14)  Spanish (13)  German (11)  Italian (10)  French (6)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (1,711)
"'It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.'"
  overlycriticalelisa | May 25, 2020 |
Yes I just read this. And Yes I enjoyed it. ( )
  usquare | May 24, 2020 |
If I were, say, eleven years old, I might think this book was worth three stars. You already know why I'm reading it as an adult, despite its obvious appeal to youthful readers: it has had enormous cross-over appeal, so that not only children and teenagers are picking it up, but also supposedly "mature" readers.

I have nothing against popular fiction, or young adult fiction. When my youngest brother started reading fantasy fiction while I was embarking on a PhD in literature, I happily bought him a pile of fantasy fiction. When people are young, encouraging the reading habit is the best thing you can do. It starts a healthy habit. I began with Stephen King, myself, and that was preceded by my own fantasy phase.

What puts me off the Harry Potter books is how they have become acceptable reading for adults. I have had graduate students who want to write their MA dissertation about Harry Potter. I get it: there is some interesting stuff being done in genre fiction that deserves some academic attention, but believe me, this is not it. This stuff is for immature minds. It's not even good or innovative fantasy. Harry Potter is a Mary Sue, and the world that Rowling has created is one bland cliche after another.

So, if you are seventeen years or younger, go ahead, read all the Harry Potter. In fact, read whatever you like, omniverously, because at this stage in life, it is good for your brain. But if you are an adult, these books should be way beneath your maturity level. If they are not, then don't talk to me until you have decided to grow up. ( )
  vernaye | May 23, 2020 |
This is a covid 19 book. 2020 United States on lock down, and library was closed. I am not sure if I will check a book out of the library again. Will something that may make you sick be on it? WOW. Harry Potter series is owned by my family and I re-read it again. My son was the same age as Harry Potter each time a book was released - I think - or close anyway. Five star books are ones I would re-read. This is a book I have read four - maybe more times.
5/22/2020; 104,848 members; 4.29 average rating
Original comment: I did not read the Harry Potter books from release one. I think the fifth book was out when I started to read them. I read them in order. ( )
  mainrun | May 22, 2020 |
Harry Potter lives with his aunt and uncle and terrible cousin Dudley, who loves nothing more than to use Harry as his punching bag. But though he's nothing special at home, he's famous in a hidden world in which he is known as "The Boy Who Lived." When a letter arrives inviting him to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry's life will never be the same - learning both the truth about his parents and the wonder - and danger - of the wizarding world.

It was really fun to reread this story. Some 20 years after the book came out and 10 years since I read it last, and it still has the same enjoyment for me to read. ( )
  bell7 | May 22, 2020 |
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.
-Novelist
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,302,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible