Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (1)

112,50418781 (4.29)7 / 1784
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.
Recently added byprivate library, gilean23, Hungrywampa, abigail.brewer, PeggyMcCright, Onion-Noodle, LancasterGainesville
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna, nfeldbaum)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)

1990s (5)
Ghosts (101)
Movies (199)

English (1,777)  Spanish (16)  Dutch (14)  German (13)  Italian (11)  French (7)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (1,858)
Harry's adventures at age 10 when he finds out he's a wizard.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 25, 2021 |
What a delightful book to start an amazing series. The level of nostalgia and significance that it holds for me is pretty deep. ( )
  LimeadeIsLife | Sep 25, 2021 |
2nd Review:
I was craving some magic in my life. So it was with great trepidation that I picked up this book again. I hadn't really read it since book 7 came out. And I was terrified that it, like so many other things from my childhood, would be disappointing.

The awe wasn't there. And I feel like Rowling was still finding her voice (it shows). There are some gaps. But what an amazing piece of work! Knowing the end, I was amazed at what Rowling either planned from the beginning or added in as she worked.* I think that what Rowling does well is create dimensional characters. She self-checks and rechecks her work and her plots. Or has a really good editor. Whatever it is, it works.

So kudos to her for being talented and hard-working. The magic was still kinda there. I'm glad it didn't disappoint.

But if I could go back and change the past, I would remove the first two films from existence. And perhaps recast a couple of people. Sad to say, but they really, really could have been better. I'm curious as to why and how they struggled. I mean, I can dissect the films. But what was the human reasoning behind the choices they made during those films?

1st review:
I'm not quite sure why this book was such a breath of fresh air to me at the time... Perhaps it was the old "Bella-complex", i. e. what I saw in the unattractive, unpopular Harry reminded me of myself. Or maybe I saw myself in Hermione (down to the unpronounceable name)... But I liked it, and still do.

*Mrs. Figg for instance. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Such a cliché to give this series a five star. But this time I tried the audiobook version and with Stephen Fry as narrator.

It was a delight to listen to him. A. Because I love a brit accent (yes yes also a cliché) and B. He talks just with the right tempo.

But the fifth star is because like all those years ago I cried like a baby when Marcel got the ten points.

But damn how the movies has warped the characters in my head... ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
***Read for the Magical readathon year 2020***

The nostalgia is very strong. But if you read my updates you can find all the wtf moments I had while reading. I felt like such an adult. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.

Це перша книга про Гаррі Поттера. Відірвавшись від комп'ютерів і телеекранів, сотні мільйонів дітей та дорослих у всьому світі ЗНОВУ ЧИТАЮТЬ! Такого успіху не знала жодна художня книга. Казка про хлопчика-чарівника Гаррі Поттера зачарувала всю планету...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,559,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible