The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana…
1,207None6,590 (4.24)96
    Conrad's Fate by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another title involving the young Christopher Chant, the future Chrestomanci or nine-lifed enchanter who has responsibility for ensuring magic is not misused on a number of Related Worlds.

English (20)  Finnish (1)  All languages (21)
Great story. I wish Christopher had been a bit more careful with his lives. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Fun and easy to read. Pretty sure I didn't read this, the first time, so, hm. Maybe I only read the first book, when I was younger. In any case, it's best to read this after Charmed Life, otherwise it would give the game away with some of what happens in Charmed Life.

Christopher Chant isn't the pleasantest kid to read about, if you're reading in an aware sort of way and you know some things about the world -- e.g. dragon blood -- but at the same time, you get sucked into what he's doing. And it's lovely when he starts to develop -- because he does develop -- and becomes more self-aware. Millie/the Goddess is a fun character, too, and I kind of identify with her obsession with school novels... as a kid, I ate 'em up. I'd still like to get hold of the Chalet School books, someday... But my favourite character, somehow, is Tacroy, who still manages to be a decent kind of guy, despite everything.

The only quibble is how neatly and quickly it all ties up at the end. It felt rather abrupt, and just... too neat. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
The second in the Chrestomanci series this is actually a prequel to [b:Charmed Life|244572|Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1)|Diana Wynne Jones|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173077634s/244572.jpg|6594671]. And I enjoyed it a bit more too. The main character, Christopher, is much more likeable than his cousin, Cat. Again the book is rather short but long enough for what it was.

After this book I don't think I'll continue with this series as I can't really see it progressing anywhere interesting. ( )
  Shirezu | Mar 31, 2013 |
What delights me about Diana Wynne Jones is her exceptional bravery in making her protagonists unusual, even unappealing, which makes me root for them all the more. And her plots are never linear, never predictable. The Lives of Christopher Chant made me cringe now and then--the protagonist is put in danger repeatedly by adults he most trusts--and again this unsettling feeling of not being sure all would work out in the end is a highly unusual quality in a book written primarily for children. I enjoyed it a great deal. ( )
  poingu | Mar 30, 2013 |
Everyone knows the story – how Christopher dreams himself into other worlds, meets a Living Goddess, discovers the worlds are real, almost gets sidelined into a boys' school story, cricket and all, starts to learn magic, finds out he's been unknowingly aiding a group of criminals, gets found out, but saves the day – yes? If not, then the books are all in print and ready and waiting for you. You won't regret it. ( )
2 vote phoebesmum | Jan 7, 2012 |

Diana Wynne Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newbold, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spee, GitteIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warren, JimCoversecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Leo, / who got hit on the head / with a cricket bat
It was years before Christopher told anyone about his dreams. This was because he mostly lived in the nurseries at the top of the big London house, and the nursery maids who looked after him changed every few months.
He thought everyone had the same type of dreams he had, too. He did not think they were worth mentioning. The dreams always began the same way. Christopher got out of bed and walked around the corner of the night nursery wall-the part with the fireplace, which jutted out-onto a rocky path high on the side of a valley.

Boy with many lives
discovers he's the fledgling
next Chrestomanci.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0006755186, Mass Market Paperback)

The childhood of Chrestomanci. Everything in this book happens at least twenty-five years before the story told in Charmed Life! Discovering that he has nine lives and is destined to be the next 'Chrestomanci' is not part of Christopher's plans for the future: he'd much rather play cricket and wander around his secret dream worlds. But he soon finds that destiny is difficult to avoid, and that having more than the usual number of lives is pretty inconvenient -- especially when you lose them as easily as he does! Then an evil smuggler, known only as The Wraith, threatens the ways of the worlds and forces Christopher to take action!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:46 -0400)

Young Christopher Chant, in training to become the next Chrestomanci or head controller of magic in the world, becomes a key figure in a battle with renegade sorcerers because he has nine lives.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible