Gwendolen Chant and her brother Cat find the Chrestomancie Castle family's magic powers difficult to counter with the inferior powers of the Coven Street witches.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: The roles of Chrestomanci and Abhorsen are similar- magicians who police the use of magic. Both books feature their protagonists growing into these roles.
    Magic Below Stairs by Caroline Stevermer (foggidawn)
    Under the Mountain by Maurice Gee (Aquila)

English (53)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (55)
This is the sort of children's fantasy book where if I had read it as a child, I would have been completely obsessed with it. It has a million exciting aspects, including fun magic, a mysterious and dapper enchanter, alternate realities and alternate reality doubles, a magic castle with magic servants, and the sort of unthinkable betrayal that's designed to hit a child the hardest, especially a younger child. My only real problem with the novel was Cat's passivity, which I know was the big personality flaw he had to overcome, but for most of the book I wanted to shake him. I think it's because I'm the older sibling and he's a younger but I found his total subservience to his sister completely inexplicable. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
(component - see primary entry) ( )
  librisissimo | Apr 11, 2021 |
I read Howl's Moving Castle before this, so I noticed a similarity in the plot.
At first I thought Cat is actually a...cat.
I have to find out if they have similar universe to Howl's Moving Castle.
Looking forward to read the sequels. ( )
  DzejnCrvena | Apr 2, 2021 |
One of those books that I started out being very meh about, and ended up being really happy with. Very well executed. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Enjoyed this one as a gentle introduction to the world of magic and possibilities. As an adult, I can appreciate how this alternate world is designed and implemented in a way that anyone can accept magic exists and how vast it varies with power and good control. ( )
  KriMeow | Sep 14, 2020 |

Diana Wynne Jonesprimary authorall editionscalculated
IonicusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Makkonen, MarikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newbold, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slater, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Claire, Nicholas and Frances
Cat Chant admired his elder sister Gwendolen. She was a witch. He admired her and he clung to her. Great changes came about in their lives and left him no one else to cling to.

Orphans, one spiteful,
one open-hearted, effect
magic, then mayhem!
(ed.pendragon)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,209,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible