dismiss

The Tales of Beedle the Bard (2008)

by J. K. Rowling, Beedle the Bard

Series: Harry Potter's Schoolbooks, Harry Potter (Companion)

17,188413191 (3.82)1 / 395
The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers' attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, thanks to Hermione Granger's new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes, and illustrations by J. K. Rowling, and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore. Never before have Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales.… (more)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    (krizia_lazaro)
    The Imagicators by Brad Marshland (ckm63, spense)
    ckm63: The Imagicators takes the idea of magic to a new level. You don't need magic wands or spells if you can imagine something down to the finest detail. And the whole world where The Imagicators takes place was itself imagicated by someone with that power! If you've run out of Harry Potter books, this should be next on your list.… (more)
    Book of Enchantments by Patricia C. Wrede (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More original fairy tales from a YA fantasy author.

English (392)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (414)
Strangely enough, I loved this one a lot more than all the other short stories by Rowling. Perhaps it's because they're actual stories with characters and even moral underpinnings, or perhaps this collection just hit the spot. :)

I enjoyed Albus's voice here, but in the end, I think I simply enjoyed the tales for themselves. Little dark fairy tales. :) I have nothing bad to say about little dark fairy tales. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I had such a good time rereading this! I've watched the movie like five times since I read the script the last time, and it made the whole thing come to live in my head even more than before! I'm now also suuuuper pumped for the second one - I just want this magical world to be expanded endlessly. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
This was a fun quick listen. I very much enjoyed the stories (fables). The narration was well done. This was a series of stories with the addition of notes from Albus Dumbledore and footnotes for non-magic readers. ( )
  Virago77 | May 27, 2020 |
Tales of Beedle the Bard is a collection of fairy tales from the world of Harry Potter as translated by Hermione Granger. There are five tales in all and they are absolutely charming. Even better than the stories was Dumbledore's commentary on the history and meaning behind each story. They have great lessons for wizards and muggles alike. Even the footnotes were fun.

I listened to the audio book performed by Warwick Davis, Noma Dumezweni, Jason Isaacs, Jude Law, Evanna Lynch, Sally Mortemore and Bonnie Wright. They do a fantastic job of bringing this collection to life. This audio is free for Audible members until Jan 2021. There's no reason not to give it a try. ( )
  Narilka | May 12, 2020 |
Tales of Beedle the Bard - Rowling
Audio performance with multiple narrators
4 stars

I bought this one in 2008 when my son was in middle school. It is one of the short books that Rowling marketed to support her Lumos Foundation. This audio version uses 7 voice actors to read the 109 pages. It was very well done, a great way to spend 1 ½ hours. ( )
  msjudy | Apr 18, 2020 |

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beedle the Bardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dumbledore, AlbusCommentarysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Granger, HermioneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karuzos, LuxoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction:
The Tales of Beedle the Bard is a collection of stories written for young wizards and witches.
There was once a kindly old wizard who used his magic generously and wisely for the benefit of his neighbors.

With Extensive Commentary by Albus Dumbledore

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, thanks to Hermione Granger's new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes and illustrations by J.K. Rowlings and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore.
Never before have the Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales: "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot," "The Fountain of Fair Fortune," "The Warlock's Hairy Heart", "Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump," and of course "The Tale of the Three Brothers." But not only are they the equal of fairy tales we now know and love, reading them gives new insight into the world of Harry Potter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,941,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible