The Tales of Beedle the Bard (2008)

by J. K. Rowling, Beedle the Bard, J.K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter's Schoolbooks (3), Harry Potter (Companion)

19,545441184 (3.81)1 / 401
The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers' attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, thanks to Hermione Granger's new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes, and illustrations by J. K. Rowling, and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore. Never before have Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales.… (more)
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    (krizia_lazaro)
    The Imagicators by Brad Marshland (ckm63, spense)
    ckm63: The Imagicators takes the idea of magic to a new level. You don't need magic wands or spells if you can imagine something down to the finest detail. And the whole world where The Imagicators takes place was itself imagicated by someone with that power! If you've run out of Harry Potter books, this should be next on your list.… (more)
    Book of Enchantments by Patricia C. Wrede (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More original fairy tales from a YA fantasy author.

English (420)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (442)
Anno olvastam ezt angolul, most a Kicsi kapta meg, hogy neki is legyen valami Harry Potter világából, ha a regényekhez még túl kicsi is. A rajongás már így is alakul, a Nagyé annyira ragályos. A meséket együtt olvastuk, a Nagy nem győzte magyarázni, hogy volt ez a könyvekben, én meg remekül szórakoztam a hozzáfűzött kommentárokon. Sajnos nem olvastam előre, így A mágus szőrös szíve felkészületlenül ért minket, és mint a jegyzetekben említett varázslógyerekeknek, nekünk is adott némi rémálom-alapanyagot.

Nagyon jópofa, hogy megírták az eredeti regényfolyamban említett könyveket is, a szereplők jegyzeteivel, fordította Hermione Granger stb. Meg persze pénz is, nyilván, de ezek is szuperek, a Legendás állatok összelevelezett, "belefirkálásokkal" ellátott változatára is vonatkozik, azt is mostanában olvasta a Nagy is, én is. ( )
  blueisthenewpink | Jul 2, 2022 |
This book is filled with fairy tales for young wizards and witches. It has been translated from the original runes by the wonderfully brilliant Hermione Granger and includes a forward as well as educational footnotes for us muggles by J.K. Rowling. The stories range from the delightfully moral such as The Fountain of Fair Fortune (my personal favorite) to horribly gruesome, The Warlock’s Hairy Heart. Like the original fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm, probably not really appropriate for very young children, magical or otherwise.

It is, of course, most famous for The Tale Of The Three Brothers, which plays such a glaring role in Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows. What really makes ‘Tales’ special though are the notes of Albus Dumbledore, found after his death and included in this edition. His insight and research into each of the stories are both illuminating and frustrating since many of the works Dumbledore cites aren’t available for the perusal of the average muggle such as myself. Personally, I could wish for a library full of wizarding lore such as this quick and fun read. ( )
  Ireadwhatuwrite | Jun 23, 2022 |
FIRST READ in 2013 - 3 stars

RE-READ in 2019 - 3.5 stars

Basically, this was fun but nothing spectacular.
I did like stories. ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
And then he greeted Death as an old friend, and went with him gladly, and, equals, they departed this life.

Re-read :) I enjoyed it even more compared to the first time I read it!! ♥ ( )
  XSassyPants | Jun 11, 2022 |
Hermione Granger has translated the marvelous tales of Beedle the Bard from their original runes. Here are the tales that for generations have been taught to wizard children, with commentary from Albus Dumbledor himself, and notes from J. K. Rowling.

I read this book as a favor to a friend whose child has begun to show an interest in the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling. Having read the Harry Potter books as a teen, it has been some years since I have read any of the original books.

This book was published after the original seven books, if I understand correctly, and is not connected to Harry Potter himself. Rowling has, in this book, written a collection of fables for her magical community. Much like our "Aesop's Fables," these tales are written to teach children certain morals.

Unlike the Harry Potter books, this book appears to be written for a younger audience. It includes simpler vocabulary and illustrations and is only 107 pages long.

While the morals they attempt to teach are, for the most part, morals parents do, in fact, try to teach their children, some of the stories are unpleasant and, perhaps, not something parents would like their younger children reading. My meaning being that the style is for a younger audience, while the stories themselves, are for an older one.

It is well written and developed, with Albus Dumbledor's character evident, as if Rowling took on his character while writing. I believe anyone who enjoyed the Harry Potter series would enjoy this book.

I do caution parents of younger children that this book does, in fact, have questionable content for younger readers, including a murder/suicide. Each parent is responsible for judging their own children's maturity level. I simply suggest parents may want to read this book before their younger children.

I bought this book from my local library and have permission to use the image above, granted by J. K. Rowling's PR representative with the condition that I properly credit it. Therefore, this book was written by J. K. Rowling and published by Scholastic Inc.
  tinerbookmarks | Jun 7, 2022 |

Granger, HermioneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karuzos, LuxoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zwerger, LisbethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction:
The Tales of Beedle the Bard is a collection of stories written for young wizards and witches.
There was once a kindly old wizard who used his magic generously and wisely for the benefit of his neighbors.

With Extensive Commentary by Albus Dumbledore

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, thanks to Hermione Granger's new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes and illustrations by J.K. Rowlings and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore.
Never before have the Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales: "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot," "The Fountain of Fair Fortune," "The Warlock's Hairy Heart", "Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump," and of course "The Tale of the Three Brothers." But not only are they the equal of fairy tales we now know and love, reading them gives new insight into the world of Harry Potter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,974,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible