The Lord of the Rings (1968)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Series: Middle-earth (3), The Lord of the Rings (Omnibus 1-3)

45,73543023 (4.53)4 / 1374
A one-volume collector's edition boxed and bound in handsome red leatherette with gold, green, and blue foil stamping, two-color text setting, and large format fold-out maps containing the complete texts of The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King, and six appendices. One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elven-smiths, and Sauron, The Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ring was taken from him, and though he sought it throughout Middle-earth, it remained lost to him. After many ages it fell, by chance, into the hands of the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins. From his fastness in the Dark Tower of Mordor, Sauron's power spread far and wide. He gathered all the Great Rings to him, but ever he searched far and wide for the One Ring that would complete his dominion. On his eleventy-first birthday Bilbo disappeared, bequeathing to his young cousin Frodo the Ruling Ring and a perilous quest -- to journey across Middle-earth, deep into the shadow of the Dark Lord, and destroy the Ring by casting it into the Cracks of Doom. The Lord of the Rings tells of the great quest undertaken by Frodo and the Fellowship of the Ring: Gandalf the Wizard, Merry, Pippin, and Sam, Gimli the Dwarf, Legolas the Elf, Boromir of Gondor, and a tall, mysterious stranger called Strider.… (more)
Recently added bymyabetts, Gorkycreator, amvlibraries, TeaganMorris, private library, JessicaHawkinson
Legacy LibrariesNelson Algren, W. H. Auden
    The Fionavar Tapestry 1. The Summer Tree 2. The Wandering Fire 3. The Darkest Road by Guy Gavriel Kay (geophile)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Hobbit (Part 1 of 2) by J. R. R. Tolkien (readysetgo)
    The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun by J. R. R. Tolkien (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (LKAYC)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (idalmir_itaqua)
    The Ring of the Nibelung [libretto] by Richard Wagner (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Guy forges a ring of power. Everyone who refused to give up the ring has it taken away from them and they die, sooner or later. Except for Wotan, the only person to give it up voluntarily.
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Tolkien himself gave Eddison high praise, saying he was "The greatest and most convincing writer of 'invented worlds' that I have read". Of Eddison's best known works, 'The Worm Ouroboros' is the place to start. If you like it you may want to try his Zimiamvia trilogy too.… (more)
    Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock (artturnerjr)
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind by Hayao Miyazaki (ecureuil)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (RickyHaas)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (utterlycharming)
    Heaven's War by Micah Harris (jpers36)
    Elfhunter by C. S. Marks (anyanwubutler)
    Cold Obsidian by Olga Makarova (Mildegard)
    Mildegard: Poems are an important part of "Cold Obsidian" the same way they are an important part of LOTR. Relationships between characters are caring in both books.

Read (5)
1950s (336)

English (363)  Dutch (16)  German (10)  Italian (10)  Spanish (10)  French (5)  Finnish (5)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (430)
I mean, I read it and mostly liked it and thought it was a little easier to read the first time than The Hobbit, but there's so many slow parts and it's so long. I don't know that I'll ever actually reread this whereas I'd reread The Hobbit in a heartbeat ( )
  alaharon123 | Feb 2, 2022 |
This illustrated edition of The Lord of the Rings combines all three volumes that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt usually published as paperbacks into a single hardcover volume Tolkien's writing stands on its own as a masterpiece of epic fantasy, unparalleled even to this day, so I need not write what others have written before, though new readers will undoubtedly enjoy the ease with which they may flip between the appendices and the story in this edition. What makes this particular volume stand out is its use of Tolkien’s own artwork, which graces the volume both on its cover and throughout. Additionally, this includes two fold-out maps. Finally, the page ends are sprayed red and feature Elvish writing. A gorgeous edition for both fans of Lord of the Rings and newcomers alike that will make this a beautiful addition to anyone’s bookshelves. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Jan 23, 2022 |
Letto per le sfide
1. GdL Telegram
2. Alphabet 2020 per Un libro di un autore di cui il cognome inizi per T
3. Babele 2020 - Modalità difficile (5/15)
4. Extra-Large 2020 - Modalità difficile (3/9, #1216 pagine). ( )
  JaqJaq | Jan 7, 2022 |
It is hard to write a review of a book that means so much to me, so I won't attempt it.
I first read "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" almost exactly twenty years ago, shortly before the first Peter Jackson movie came into cinemas, and they swept me away. I had loved fantasy books - especially Narnia - before, but nothing came remotely close to this.
I was fifteen years old and became what today you would call a total nerd. Since then, the books (and other writings of Tolkien) have provided me with refuge and solace and are one of the few constants in my life, and a huge influence as well.
So what now - what did my sixth read of the book that started it all bring?
Once more I was drawn into the story, was moved and touched, and I laughed and cried, admired Tolkien's words, discovered things I hadn't seen before, and, maybe because I am a little older, I enjoyed the language and the literary crafting even more than before. I felt at home and it felt indeed like coming back after a long time.
But much more than this I took hope from the book. Because sometimes I feel like we are going into dark times right now, times that I would never have expected just a short while ago, with a pandemic, right-wing movements on the rise, the climate crisis, so many things changing that I would not have thought possible. And in these times the story of the hobbits gave me courage and brought me light. We have to look at the good that is left in the world. ( )
3 vote MissBrangwen | Jan 5, 2022 |
I bought this to replace my battered old paperback... it didn't work as i realised that paperback might be the thing i've owned the longest in my entire house. So now i have two copies :) . ( )
1 vote | wreade1872 | Nov 28, 2021 |
All volumes are accompanied with maps, and Dr. Tolkien, who is a philologist, professor at Merton College of English Language and Literature, has equipped the last volume with a scholarly apparatus of appendices, explaining the alphabets and grammars of the various tongues spoken by his characters, and giving full genealogies and tables of historical chronology. Dr. Tolkien has announced that this series - the hypertrophic sequel to The Hobbit - is intended for adults rather than children, and it has had a resounding reception at the hands of a number of critics who are certainly grown-up in years. Mr. Richard Hughes, for example, has written of it that nothing of the kind on such a scale has been attempted since The Faerie Queen, and that « for width of imagination it almost beggars parallel."...

Now, how is it that these long-winded volumes of what looks to this reviewer like balderdash have elicited such tributes as those above? The answer is, I believe, that certain people - especially, perhaps, in Britain - have a lifelong appetite for juvenile trash. They would not accept adult trash, but, confronted with the pre-teen-age article, they revert to the mental phase which delighted in Elsie Dinsmore and Little Lord Fauntleroy and which seems to have made of Billy Bunter, in England, almost a national figure. You can see it in the tone they fall into when they talk about Tolkien in print: they bubble, they squeal, they coo; they go on about Malory and Spenser - both of whom have a charm and a distinction that Tolkien has never touched.
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Nation, Edmund Wilson (Apr 14, 1956)

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
"Fly, you fools!"
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Tolkien's complete work; please do not combine it with any constituent part(s), each of which have LT Works pages of their own.

Also, please distinguish print editions from any dramatization. (Audiobooks, being the same text unless they're abridged, should be combined with their original Work; but dramatizations, being adaptations, should be distinguished from the original.) Thank you.

Sauron, the Dark Lord, has gathered to him all the Rings of Power -- the means by which he intends to rule Middle-earth. All he lacks in his plans for dominion is the One Ring -- the ring that rules them all -- which has fallen into the hands of the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins. In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as his elderly cousin Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must leave his home and make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose.
Halfling bears the Ring
from Bag End womb to Mount Doom,
hence Return of King.
(ed.pendragon)
Take ring to Mordor!
Why did they walk all the way?
Should have used eagles.

Current discussions

Lord of the Rings LE 2022 in Folio Society Devotees

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,159,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible