dismiss

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

The Eye of the World

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (1)

14,449286270 (4.02)3 / 385
In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.
    The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (chaos012)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (RickyHaas)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (scribeswindow)
    Hunter's Oath by Michelle West (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy that breaks out of the Tolkien mold more than the Wheel of Time, but retains the large cast, the mythic overtones, and the vast worldbuilding.
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy with plenty of twisty prophecies and depth to speculate on, for those who enjoyed that in the Wheel of Time series.
    Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (alcc)

English (276)  Dutch (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (285)
Man, this was a beast of a book. I really liked the story, but felt there were parts that were needlessly long. I think that may just be the writing style. Would have liked more of a hook, but this is definitely a great book. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
Doesn't hold up to modern Fantasy novels or the glowing reviews, I do not recommend.
First, a disclaimer. This was a DNF for me, although I read maybe a fifth of the book. Also this review contains spoilers in as much as it's possible to spoil any classic 'chosen one' adventure story.

Tropes in fantasy:
Using tropes in a story is not a bad thing. Tropes exist for a reason, and that's because they work or bring a certain element to the story that many authors desire. However, it's difficult to use tropes well. Oftentimes an author can create a far better story by subverting tropes and the readers expectations, or if they do use tropes, using them in a way that's humorous or builds on the story. This book is nothing but classic tropes glued together. A learning algorithm that is fed a couple hundred cookie-cutter stories like this one would easily be able to write this.

Seriously, the story starts of with our main character, 'backwoods farmer-boy bumpkin', who has a 'mysteriously dead mother' and a father who's just a 'regular old boring farmer and absolutely not a veteran warrior'. The 'regular old farmer father' also has a 'mysterious past which he never talks about' and a 'magical sword' which, although it doesn't declare the main character the chosen one right away, might as well. The main character is also 'surprisingly fit and super tall' and lives separately from the village with his father, alone. Then it's revealed that *gasp* the main character's father isn't actually his biological father! Not that there were any hints or anything as they look nothing alike. Then, a 'mysterious sexy and powerful woman' appears who is so painfully obviously a sorceress or a witch that it physically hurts to read them all bumbling about not realizing it. Then when it's outed that she's a member of some 'reclusive order of powerful sorceresses' which secretly 'pulls strings behind empires' everyone is shocked and nobody trusts her, even though the village folk are all portrayed as extremely trusting and open. Then, the main character's love interest, *gasp* has the capability to be a sorceress too! But no, the main character can't have his precious not-even-his-girlfriend have any dreams or desires of her own. This is smoothly accompanied by rampant sexism by most of the males in the story who all are tripping over their swords to tell women what to do and what not to do--and are then surprised when the women don't like them. Honestly, I don't have a problem with sexism in stories as a theme, but here it was just so painful to read and made me hate the main character who's supposed to be the hero. (There's a part where the main character admonishes his crush for wearing her hair down because 'wearing her hair up is something she's wanted her whole life' and that 'if the village women saw her now' they'd beat her or something).

Honestly, it would be hard to write a character more two dimensional, stubborn, and unlikable than the main character, which basically kills the story for me. I don't need the main characters in the stories I read to be good; some authors can make evil or villainous antihero main characters work very well. It's just that even the most evil villain usually has redeeming qualities which make the reader be able to empathize with them. Same with all the bad guys and creatures in the story. They're all 'troll-orcs' or 'dark ones' which are just irredeemably evil and that makes it justified to kill them without feeling bad.

I could go on but honestly, I don't want to think about this book anymore. ( )
  marmoset_threat | May 28, 2020 |
Quite a good start for a lengthy fantasy series.
I liked how Robert Jordan kept room for parallelization - three protagonists in a fantasy series is something new, and I will probably have to wait a bit to find out whether it is a good one.
Still, quite great to read, especially to notice how this book combines many greater elements from fantasy genre - so if you are an old school fantasy lover, pick this up and you won't regret, promise! ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
I wasn't that much of a fan of **The Eye of the World**. It's got a couple of things that make it good Fantasy: detailed worldbuilding, for example, and characters that were clearly recognizable and not all the same. A big bad evil and a young farmboy, well, you know the deal.

But it is sloww. Very, very slow. Very, very detailed. A character comes into a new room that is pretty irrelevant and will never appear again? You'd better believe you'll know everything about this room! Every encountered person (like a farmer giving the main boy band a ride) is named and contextualized. This would be fun in an interactive adventure where I can choose to skip information like that after the 50th time. I won't count the first third of the book being extremely like the start of the Lord of the Rings, but oh boy, is it ever.

Also, there were just no characters I really liked and sympathized with. The protagonist is bland, one of his friends is nice enough to hold my attention, and most other people are annoying (N., looking at you!) or evil, of course. I'm … not sure I'll make it through 14 books of this. ( )
  _rixx_ | May 24, 2020 |
I don't quite see what makes this series special yet, but that's not to say it isn't a fine introduction to a potentially vast world or epic story. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 16, 2020 |

Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staffilano, Gaetano LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
To Harriet
Heart of my heart,
Light of my life,
Forever
The palace still shook occasionally as the earth rumbled in memory, groaned as if it would deny what had happened. (Prologue)
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of the Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning. (Chapter One)

Колелото на времето се върти и вековете идват и си отиват, оставяйки спомени, които се превръщат в легенди. Легендите заглъхват в мит и дори митът отдавна е забравен, когато породилият го век се върне отново. В Третия век, Века на Пророчеството, на косъм висят самият Свят и самото Време. Онова, което е било, което ще бъде и което е, може да падне под властта на Сянката.

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.
When The Two Rivers is attacked by Trollocs--a savage tribe of half-men, half-beasts-- five villagers flee that night into a world they barely imagined, with new dangers waiting in the shadows and in the light.
The Fade on his horse /
The trollocs crash winternight /
Ba'alzamon‎'s eyes (davidwil)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,526,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible