The Eye of the World

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (1)

15,426316270 (4.02)3 / 394
In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.
    The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (chaos012)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (RickyHaas)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (scribeswindow)
    Hunter's Oath by Michelle West (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy that breaks out of the Tolkien mold more than the Wheel of Time, but retains the large cast, the mythic overtones, and the vast worldbuilding.
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy with plenty of twisty prophecies and depth to speculate on, for those who enjoyed that in the Wheel of Time series.
    Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (alcc)

English (308)  Dutch (4)  Italian (2)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (316)
The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

I first read the Wheel of Time somewhere around 2004, with only 10 of the eventual 14 books published. When [b:Knife of Dreams|13888|Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1397856387s/13888.jpg|987750] was published in 2005, I read them all again. Likewise with [b:The Gathering Storm|1166599|The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442815923s/1166599.jpg|1920889] in 2009 (the first written by [a:Brandon Sanderson|38550|Brandon Sanderson|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1394044556p2/38550.jpg] after [a:Robert Jordan|6252|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1175475715p2/6252.jpg]'s death), [b:Towers of Midnight|8253920|Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1358109459s/8253920.jpg|7338128] in 2010, and finally [b:A Memory of Light|7743175|A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1336055749s/7743175.jpg|10558806] in 2013. It's been a few years, but the series as a whole is well worth every minute to invest in a reread--it's among my favorite series I've ever written. This time around though (for the second time) I'll be listening to the audiobooks.

So. Starting with [b:The Eye of the World|228665|The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1337818095s/228665.jpg|2008238]. Taken in a vacuum, it's solid enough high fantasy, with little enough to set it apart from oh so many others. Farm boys with an obvious mysterious destiny. An attack from obviously evil twisted humanity. Main characters making stupid choices (although to be fair, they're barely even adults) for the sake of interesting things happening. They get whisked off from one adventure to another, eventually saving the world™.

On the other hand, just under the surface, there are hints of something wonderful. Jordan does a good job of making you feel the age of the world and how it's been torn apart in the past and is nearing such a time again. There's an interesting dynamic with the Aes Sedai--the powerful magic users of the world... but they are all women. A man that attempts to use magic is doomed to go mad and kill those he loves. Not something I've seen much other. Especially seeing how he just keeps expanding on these ideas throughout the series: it's very well done.

I doubt I'll review specifics about characters (there are piles of them even in this first book) or plot (a lot of that too). But I will say flat out: it's 10,000 pages / 4.4 million words that I've read a half dozen times. Give it a try. It might take a year of your life to read them all, but it will be worth it. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Oh dear.

This book is awful. I was talking with a student today about genre fiction, recounting how I worried that The Name of the Rose might have ruined me for mystery novels. Obviously not the case, but I'm wondering if Tolkien didn't do the same for fantasy. There are times (a week or so ago) that I really want for a good fantasy. I'm less enamored of GRRMartin than I used to be. I though maybe this series would be the one to give me something I could sink my teeth into.

It's just so very silly.

The language is ridiculous, and again it's hard when you're coming from Tolkien. The trick is to keep the material familiar enough to be readable and genre-specific, but foreign enough to be fantastical. Missed on both counts. The "foreignness" of Jordan's world is pathetically Scottish (pathetic in its feeble attempts to disguise obvious Celtic themes and even names), and the names have no rhyme nor reason. There is no internal grammar to his world in its nomenclature, no sense that things evolved but rather were concocted.

So yeah, I didn't finish it, nor will I. ( )
  allan.nail | Jul 11, 2021 |
Is it possible to dislike a book and still want to keep reading the series?
I did not hate this but aside from a few brief scenes, I was terribly bored by this book. On one hand the story is just a meandering adventure with no good hook and characters range average to annoying, the one time I thought it was trying something interested by making Mat depressed, turned out be just some curse.
On the other, the characters are too miserable by their circumstance for me to enjoy the story as a light adventure romp. I'm sure in a world when fantasy genre was filled with Tolkein clones, this might have been a decent twist on the formula but it just isn't as interesting anymore.

The characters very slowly did grow on me, except Egwene. She was a bitch from start to finish and had 0 chemistry with Rand. But what stopped me from dropping the book entirely was the world building. Every time some event of the past was mentioned or the political/regional structure of the world of explored I was genuinely curious. The excruciating detail RJ goes into in his descriptions breaks the pacing often but when he's talking about lore, it is intriguing.
I will try 1 or 2 more books in the series before deciding if I'm done with it for good. ( )
  LaserRaptor | Jun 28, 2021 |
Taking A Break From This Book Right Now, I'll Be Back To It Soon....
  Xftg133 | Jun 8, 2021 |
The first book in the Wheel of Time series. I've heard numerous people say to skip this one - and I can understand why. It was extremely slow, and monotonous at times. For a series that I always hear touted as one of the most amazing, must read tales, I was completely underwhelmed by it. I can see how the bigger world is being built up, but this story was more about a call to action without much else (besides some running around). I didn't feel attached to the characters or care too much about the weight on their shoulders. Ironically, I did feel that way for the Sword of Truth series -- which was released after Wheel of Time and shares a VERY similar narrative. I'm not sure if I'll have the dedication to complete this series, but still aim to try a few more. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
To Harriet
Heart of my heart,
Light of my life,
Forever
The palace still shook occasionally as the earth rumbled in memory, groaned as if it would deny what had happened. (Prologue)
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of the Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning. (Chapter One)

Колелото на времето се върти и вековете идват и си отиват, оставяйки спомени, които се превръщат в легенди. Легендите заглъхват в мит и дори митът отдавна е забравен, когато породилият го век се върне отново. В Третия век, Века на Пророчеството, на косъм висят самият Свят и самото Време. Онова, което е било, което ще бъде и което е, може да падне под властта на Сянката.

When The Two Rivers is attacked by Trollocs--a savage tribe of half-men, half-beasts-- five villagers flee that night into a world they barely imagined, with new dangers waiting in the shadows and in the light.
The Fade on his horse /
The trollocs crash winternight /
Ba'alzamon‎'s eyes (davidwil)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,552,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible